Luther's Buildings - Lyver Lane

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Luther's Buildings

Adjoined the east side of Middle Temple Gate, erected by A. Luther, Master of the Utter Bar, 1614-15 (Middle Temple Records, p. 43).

Lygon's Lodgings

A tenement so called within the precinct of the Blackfriars, occupied by Roger Lygon, Esq. 7 Eliz. (H. MSS. Com. 7th Rep. 618).

Lyllye Potte (The)

A tenement so called north of St. John's Alley, in Parish of St. Leonard, Foster Lane, 32 H. VIII. 1541 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. 243).

Probably gave its name to "Lily pot lane" (q.v.).

Lymbarneres Lane, Lymbrenneres Lane

,-See Lime burners' Alley.

Lyme Street

See Lime Street.

Lyme Street Square

See Lime Street Square.

Lyme Wharfe

On the Thames south of White Friers (O. and M. 1677).

Site now occupied by Hawke's Wharfe and West and Cove's Wharf (q.v.) in Horwood, 1799.

Lyon Alley

Messuages in parish of All Saints, next Gracechurche, in ward of Busshoppesgate, formerly called the "Scutt on the Hoope" and now called the "Lyon on the hoope," alias "Lyon Alley," 18 Eliz. (1576) (Lond. I. p.m. II. p. 206).

Not further identified.

Named from the sign.

Lyon in ye Wood Inn

North out of the Wilderness, Dorset Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).

See Lion in the Wood Inn, Yard.

Lyon Key

On the Thames between Dark House Lane east and Botolph Wharf west. In Billingsgate Ward (Elmes, 1831).

Earliest mention: 1 Ed. V. (Anc. Deeds, A. 1841).

Stow says it took its name of one Lion, owner thereof and since of the signe of a Lion (S. 208).

The site is now occupied by Botolph Wharf and Nicholson's Wharf and the warehouses behind them in Thames Street.

It was one of the Legal Quays for the discharging of goods appointed by Act of Parliament, 1559.

Lyon's Wharf

0n the Thames, between Broken Wharf west and Brook's Wharf east (O.S. 1880).

A large house for stowage of come lately built at Queenhithe. Sir John Lion Grocer, Mayor 1554, gave £100 to it (S. 363).

Seems to be called "Randall's Wharf" in Lockie, 1810, 1816.


Qy. Leather Lane (q.v.).

Lyver Lane

See Leather Lane.