Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ocr:1st. Wednesday, I, sonne, daughters & Bidolph went to Chester; I & sonne dined with the Judges, (severall lawyers & Newport, &c.interl) then I went (past 2) with the tenant of Aston, Bonnell, Grantham, &c. to Bretland, to speake about the tenant (Yong's) businesse; then I met Taylor at Huson's house; walked thence to Jackson's; met Hurst, Deane, Anderton, G.Mainwaring & severall others in the Rowes; at Jackson's were L: Lloyd, Wright, Newport, G.Mainwaring, Vicars, Bellot, Lee of Booth, Nat. Lee, Jones, &c. I left them about 6, went home with daughter & Bidolph the keeper came that night with a doe from Frodesly; my 2 sisters came that night to Peele.
2. Thursday, one Powell & another came about money due from Roger to Boudler; they & the keeper retorned past 12; 2 men came from Yates about Boothe's money; had it & went away; Sefton came from Barrow about recommending a servant & another man thence about his sonne to be my cowman; Salmon & his sonne came about work & a man from Shotwick with venison; Bellot, T. Whitley, & L: Lloyd dined with us; Bellot went about 7; the rest stayd all night; also Ned Morgan & Morgan W: 3. Friday, Bidolph, Ned Morgan ,T: Whitley, Morgan, L: Lloyd dined with us; Grise & another came about sealing a lease, dined in the Hall; a yong man from Barrow (his father with him) came to be hyred, &c. Hardwar & his wife came to see us after noone.
4. Satorday, my sonne, T: Whitley, Lloyd, Ned Morgan & Morgan went to Chester before 10; Huson & Tomkinson before them; Mrs Astrey & the husbandman went to Staffordshire early; John Browne (the cook) came from London about money Roger owes him; dined with us; went away about 2; Swetnam came past 5; stayd all night; my sonne retorned about 9 from Chester.
5. Sonday, I went to church in the morning; soe did Bidolph, Sydney & Swetnam; Tomkinson went about 9 towards Dysert & to the Audit; Morgan & Huson came in the afternoone to prepare for the Audit; Mosse, Ward & Barber were with me, at night, discoursing of work.
Ocr: 6. Monday, Huson & Morgan, &c. went towards the Audit; Angell & sister came past 12; stayd all night; also Swetnam.
7. Tuesday, we had an earthquake (a great one, but of short continuance) about half houer past 7; Angell went (past 10) towards Oulton; Bidolph & Swetnam a larking; past 10, I was served with a summons (by Mrs Lettice Whitley's boy) from Fawlkes, Kenyon, & Acton; to attend theire Reference on the 23rd inst: after dinner my sonne & I went to the funerall of Mrs Radley at Tarvyn, before sermon we went with Sherard & another to the Vicars; Mr Grantham invited us to his house; we dranck a glasse of sack; there was Traverse, the Vicar, Bruen, &c. we stayd ½ houer, came home; Mrs Astrey & John retorned from Staffordshire.
8. Wednesday, Swetnam went away, 2 men came about taking land; Bidolph went a larking; dined abroad; Traverse came in with my sonne, supt, stayd all night; soe did Angell.
9. Thursday, my sonne went to Chester; retorned about 7; Angell went away about 4; 2 Mrs Hardwares made us a visit in the afternoone.
10. Friday, Streete sent his man with a letter to persuade me to goe to Chester about election of a Mayor; I did not goe; my sonne went thither about 11; Hardwar came to aske for him & Bidolph they were abroad; he stayd not; my sonne retorned late from Chester (past 10) Nat. Lee with him; I saw them not that night.
11. Satorday, we stayd at home (Bidolph my sonne, Lee, &c.) no company.
12. Sonday, I, my daughters, sisters, &c. went to church, received the Sacrament: stayd at home in the afternoone; Bidolph & his 2 daughters went towards Elmehurst, about 3.
13. Monday, about 11 Donald came from Chester to (trimme crossed out) trim me; Ben: Cratchley came about Glasier's businesse; they dined & went before 3; my sonne & Lee went at the same time (as they said) a coursing; came back about 7. Tomkinson came back late from the Audit.
14. Tuesday, Huson came from the Audit & Tomkinson went to the Audit at Middlewich; my sonne & I went to Chester (met Morgan at Tarvyn going to Middlewich) I, sonne, G.Mainwaring Baroby & Crosse dined at Jackson's; we went to the almeshouses; drank some ale at the Widdows with Mr Wright, Streete & some others; went then to Andersons, then to the new Mayor (there were the 2 Leavelookers) we dranck in both places; I went then to G.Mainwaring saw his wife & daughter & Mall: Ravenscroft in the Row; went thence (with G.Mainwaring) to Jacksons; there was my sonne, Streete, Wright, Baroby, 2 Kinastons, Mercer, Mainwaring of Wrexam, &c. we parted past 5; Taylor was with me at Jacksons before dinner; stayd not; I called on Bennet in the Forest streete; there was Ely with him; they came to the coach, had a tankerd, went home.
15. Wednesday, sent John Nixon with letters to Chester; Morgan retorned from Middlewich, about 2; Huson & Tomkinson, past 8; yong Fowler came about 12; dined with the servants; came to me after dinner, dranck a glasse of wine; went about 4.
16. Thursday, Powell & another came in the morning from Shropshire about money Roger owes Boadler; went againe past 10:,&c.
17. Friday, 2 men came about taking land (I know not theire names), they dined with Huson in the buttry, went past one; Tomkinson went to Brombrow about 11; after dinner (about 3) Jackson came from Chester; stayd all night.
18. Satorday, Morgan & Huson went to Chester about 9; my sonne & Jackson about 10; about 11 Angell came, dined, went away at 3; Tomkinson retorned about 4; my sonne, late.
19. Sonday, I went to church in the morning; my sonne in the afternoone; Morgan came from Chester, about 9.
20. Monday, Danold came to trimme me; he, Angell & Hough dined with us; went away about 3, &c. Richard Hughes came from Northop about his accounts [fo. 125r] Ocr: 21. Tuesday, G.Mainwaring, Streete, Farington, Mercer, Fernhagh, Kinaston, Griffith, Pemberton, Parry, Morgan, my sonne, &c. dined with us; the Chester men retorned past 4.
22. Wednesday, after dinner the Deane came to see us; then Gerard, & Taylor; then Sir Thomas Peirceall (for Lord Maxfeilds money on his Debenters) the 3 first went past 4; the other stayd all night.
23. Thursday, Sir Thomas Peirceall went about 9; Mr Newcomen, Bird, Bolton and Wright came from Tatenhall; Angell & a surgeon from Chester; dined, & retorned about 4; soone after came the keeper, & Cadwallader from Frodesly & after them came Frogsall, stayd all night; Hughes retorned about 3.
24. Friday, Morgan went to Chester; one Gough came from Frodesly; he, Frogsall & the other 2 stayd all night.
25. Satorday, Frogsall & the 3 others retorned towards Frodesly (about 9) then Huson & Tomkinson went to Chester; my sonne went after them past 10, retorned late.
26. Sonday, I went to church in the morning with sonne & daughter Mainwaring; Mrs Huson came to see us in the evening; retorned past 5.
27. Monday, Huson went to Manchester, Tomkinson to call on Norbery at Chester & soe to keep the Courts at Brombrow & Soughall;,&c. my 2 gransons came from Peover.
28. Tuesday, my sonne & I went to Chester; sister Angell with us; lighted at Jacksons; there came Taylor to me; dined at Angells with sonne & Morgan & cosen Collyer; cosen Cooper, & (2 interl cosen came in whilest at dinner; Alderman Anderson came after dinner; then I went to the almeshouses; retorned (with Crosse) to Jacksons; thither came the Governor, Streete, Mainwaring Johnson, Deane, Fernhagh, Murray, Kinaston, Parry, Sparks, Goodhand, Morgan, Mercer, &c. we went homewards about 5; came home past 7, Tomkinson with us.
29. Wednesday, Huson retorned from Manchester; Philips came past 11 to speake of the damage done by Swinford miller..
30. Thursday, Morgan came back from Chester in the evening.
31. Friday, G.Mainwaring, Parry, Jackson, Burrows, &c. dined with us; about 4 came Mr Hunt; all went before 6.