Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Nor: 1st. Satorday, my sonne, Morgan Huson, went to Chester; Tomkinson after them; sonne & Tomkinson retorned late.
2. Sonday, I went to church in the morning with daughter Mainwaring; sonne came after us; Morgan & Huson came in the evening; Fletcher & Jordan dined here.
3. Monday, Angell, Crosse, Gibbons,&c. came before dinner; at dinner came Edwards, Bridge, Murray, Deane, Lloyd, Hemthorne, Norbery, Browne, &c. after dinner Farington, a shoemaker with him; then 2 Skinners; they went past 4; one Hall, a Tanner came in the morning to see Joseph; Thomas Hughes & another Welsh Bayley came in the evening about Revenue accounts.
4. Tuesday, yong Fernehall, Bingly & Danold came, dined with us; went back afternoone, soe did Thomas Hughes & the other Bayly; Perryn the carryer came in the morning; stayd not lonG. 2 men came from Shropshire about taking of Frodesly.
5. Wednesday, Mr Taylor & his brother Ball dined with us; went past 3; at the same tyme my sonne, his wife, children & servants: went to Chester; soe towards London.
6. Thursday, the maydeservants & goods went towards London & Morgan past 9 to Chester & the 2 Shropshire men went home; Alderman Edwards sonne, Burrows & Gray dined with us; went away past 3..
7. Friday, I & my daughters went towards London, about 11; came to Whitchurch about 5; lay at the Red Lyon.
8. Satorday, we went out about 7; called at Newport at the Red Lyon about 11; stayd not, lay at the Crosses that night, where Mr Littleton & Bidolph sent to see us.
(November 1690) Nor: 9. Sonday, we left the Crosses about 12; came to the Harpe about 2; lay there that night; yong Rabone came thither to see us; went after supper; Morgan came thither to us & a Coventry man to guide us.
10. Monday, went out before 7; called at Bromage but stayd not; came to Coventry about 5; lay there that night; Hopkins the lawyer supt with us; Bidolph & his daughters & Lee came to us there.
11. Tuesday, went out before 7; called at Creek, & at the little house on the hill; stayd in neither place; came to Northampton about 5, lay there.
12. Wednesday, hyred a postillion at Northampton; went out before 6; called (but stayd not) at Newport; saw Mr Gofton at Mr Duncombes gate; came to Dunstable at 5, lay there; thither Sir J: Mainwaring sent his coachman to meete us.
13. Thursday, went out about 7; left Bidolph & his daughters neare Sir J: Nappiers; came to the Greene Man at Barnet about 1; stayd an houer; soe to our lodgings at Kents in Suffolk streete, London; came thither about 5. Lady Wood & daughter supt with us;.
14. Friday, Bellot, Laughton, William M: dined with us; in the evening & went with G.Mainwaring Streete, &c. to the Fountayne by the Haymarket; there came to us Whitakers, MainwarinG. & Bellot; parted at 10.
15. Satorday, about 2, Mainwaring & I went to Bosoms Inne; there saw Burrows, Bolland, &c. witnesses from Chester; dined at the Sunne in Milk streete; thither came Dr How, stayd not; & Hilmans man to take measure of Nixon & Perryn, Morgan & the Chester witnesses; about 5 M: Morgan & I went to the Sunne; there was Lewes, my sonne & Jones; past 8, M: & I went thence; called at the club (at the Hoop in the Strand) there was Wood, Long, Every, Rogers, Maxwell, Shepheard & 3 or 4 more; we left them at 10.
16. Sonday, dined at home, Minshall with us; Bellot came about 2; about 5, he, M: & I went to Bosoms Inne; thither came G.Mainwaring Streete, Comberbach, Parry, Whitakers; the Chester witnesses were examined; we parted about 10.
17. Monday, I sent my horses to the contrey, Huson came to towne about 2; I dined at home; the Taylors man & the Master of the Blackhorse were there; a neighbor Barber trimmed me.
18. Tuesday, I went to Westminster, spoke with many members; dined at the Bacchus with two Mainwarings, Streete, Norris, Herbert, Buttler, Comberbach, Doudsdale, Travailes, &c. went at night to Ward, Humfreys, &c. then to the Temple taverne; where was Wade, Parry, Whitaker & Streete, 2 Mainwarings.
19. Wednesday, went to Sir Rowand Gwinne, then to Westminster; dined at Heaven with my sonne, G.Mainwaring, brother Peter, Ben Gerard & Parry; then to the Committe; then to Fontayne taverne with 2 Mainwarings, Gleg & Parry.
20. Thursday, went to Swinfen, then to Westminster, then home about 12; 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Parry, Bolland & the other Chester witnesses dined with me; about 5, went to Beare & Harrow, there was 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Whitaker & Serjeant Thomson; I left them past 12.
21. Friday, dined at home, Roger dined with us; about 4 came Sir Robert Cotton, then Rob: Gleg; then Parry, then G.Mainwaring to see us; Bidolph & his daughters came that evening to towne & stayd with us.
22. Satorday, dined at Bacchus with 2 Mainwarings, Bellot, Borage, &c. went to Williams at Grays Inne; then to Temple Taverne; there was 2 Mainwarings, Bidolph, Streete, Whitaker, Cumberbach, Parry, Minshall,&c. parted about 10.
23. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home, Bidolph & Chester witnesses with me; went about 4 to Temple taverne; there was Bidolph, G.Mainwaring, Pascall, Whitaker, Comberbach, &c. parted at 9.
24. Monday, dined at Bacchus, there was 2 Mainwarings, Bidolph, Streete, Parry, Comberbach (2 lawyers) [fo. 126r] Nor: 24.Thomson & Ward, Lord Warington, Lord Paulet, Rich, Bellot, Yong, Birch, Barnediston, Clarke, Dashwood, Lewis, my sonne, &c. went to the committe about 5; Chester Cause was heard; carryed by one against: us; went thence (about 9) to the Bacchus; there were 2 Mainwarings Streete, Parry, Lewes, William Mainwaring Bradshaw, &c. went home at 10.
25. Tuesday, went to Westminster, dined at home, the Chester witnesses with us; Bidolph & Roger, &c. (2 Mainwarings dined at Baskerviles) about 7 I went to the Fountaine with Bidolph. Roger came after us; there was 2 Mainwarings Parry, Jackson, Huson, Chester witnesses.
26. Wednesday, to Colonel Sackviles, then to the Sunne, where the Chester witnesses lay, send for them back to Towne, then to Westminster, then home with my sonne (past 2) where we dined; Maxwell came to us whilest at dinner; Wood came after; stayd with me past 6. Morgan & Jackson came also to me, stayd not.
27. Thursday, dined at home, &c. went to the club & there was Chase, Wood, Harris.
28. Friday, went to Westminster, dined at home; went to the committe; then to the Crowne neare St Dunstans; there was G.Mainwaring, Streete, Whitaker, Comberbach, a stranger.
29. Satorday, dined at home; went in the afternoone to the Star in Colman streete; there was How, 2 Mainwarings Bellot, Baroby, Whitaker, &c. went then with 2 Mainwarings & Bellot to the Mermayd in Cornehill. Milington came to us; we parted at 10.
30. Sonday, dined at home, Mainwaring & Bidolph with us; went in the evening to the club; there was Maxwell, Cooper, Harris, 2 Blunts, Every, Chase, &c. Mainwaring,&c. parted at 10.