Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Between 1660 and 1837 the care of the various royal libraries gave rise to the existence of four distinct offices.
At the Restoration in 1660 Thomas Ross was appointed keeper of the royal libraries. (fn. 1) In 1665 he was granted the office for life by letters patent under the great seal (fn. 2) and this course was followed for subsequent appointments. The office ceased to have any substantive existence in 1757 when George II gave the contents of the libraries to the British Museum. However, Claudius Amyand, the last keeper, continued to enjoy the title and the remuneration until his death in 1774. (fn. 3) A salary of £200 payable at the Exchequer was attached to the office in 1661. (fn. 4) From 1747 an additional allowance of £100 in lieu of accommodation was paid. (fn. 5)
In 1760 George III appointed a separate librarian with a salary of £200 to care for his own collection of books which came to be located at Buckingham Palace. When this was, in its turn, given to the British Museum in 1823 this office ceased to have any functions although its holder, Sir Frederick Barnard, appears to have retained the title until his death in 1830.
In 1814 the office of librarian at Carlton House was created (fn. 6) and continued to exist after the dispersal of the contents of that house in 1826. Finally a librarian at Windsor Castle was appointed in 1836. (fn. 7)
Keeper of the Libraries 1660–1774
|1675||3 Dec.||Thynne, H.F.|
|1677||29 June||Thynne, H.F. (joint)|
|1677||29 June||Thynne, J. (joint)|
|1689||22 Aug.||Justel, H.|
|1694||12 Apr.||Bentley, R.|
|1725||12 Mar.||Bentley, R.|
|1745||8 Nov.||Amyand, C.|
Librarian at Buckingham Palace 1760–1830
Librarian at Carlton House 1814–?
|1814||26 Apr.||Clarke, J.S.|
|1821||21 May||Sumner, C.R.|
|1826||26 Apr.||Gooch, R.|
|1830||17 Feb.||MacMichael, W.|