Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Clerks of the Green Cloth 16601782
The clerks of the green cloth were the effective officers of the board of green cloth and were appointed by royal warrant. According to the Present State of the British Court, `All Bills of Comptrolments, &c. relating to the Office, are allotted and allow'd by the Clerks Comptrollers, and summ'd up and Audited by the Clerks of the Green-Cloth. They likewise sit in Judgment with the Lord Steward, on Tryals, &c.'of the verge courts and issued all orders from the board for the administration and security of the Household Below Stairs. (fn. 1) From 1660 there were four such clerks, designated first and second clerk of the green cloth and first and second clerk comptroller of the green cloth. In 1761 the number of clerks was increased to six with the addition of a third and fourth clerk comptroller. In the following year the six clerks were redesignated first, second and third clerks and first, second and third clerk comptroller of the green cloth. (fn. 2) During the later seventeenth century supernumerary clerk comptrollers were appointed from time to time. The offices were abolished in 1782. (fn. 3) Originally the remuneration of each clerk amounted to 500 consisting of wages of 44 6s 8d and board wages of 455 13s 4d, plus lodgings, diet, fees on the signing of contracts and ancient rights of `Wast, Command and Remaines, i.e., leftover provisions. (fn. 4) In 1703 an additional allowance of 438 was provided on the surrender of the last. (fn. 5) In 1761 this allowance was increased to 518 bringing the total to 1,018. (fn. 6)
The assistants were appointed by the clerks. (fn. 7) They had no fixed designation being also described as clerks or writers to the officers of the green cloth. Originally four in number they were increased to six in 1761 when there was a corresponding increase in the number of clerks of the green cloth. They were reduced to five in 1769 and abolished with their principals in 1782. Early in the eighteenth century, the assistants were allowed 50 plus an extra allowance of 18 9s, 20 in lieu of wine, 14 7s 6d in lieu of venison, and fees on bills and contracts worth perhaps 20 per annum. In 1761 they were granted an established allowance of 150; in 1769 a salary of 180 was substituted. (fn. 8)
Clerk Comptrollers 16601782
Supernumerary Clerk Comptrollers 16601691
|1660||31 Aug.||Boreman, W.|
|1670||22 Nov.||Trethewy, J.|
|1674||23 Mar.||Firebrace, H.|
|1688||11 Apr.||Fox, J.|
|1691||28 Apr.||Isaac, C.|