Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 4, Admiralty Officials 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This office, to which appointments were made by Admiralty warrant, was created in 1673.1 Originally it was attached to the Navy Board only. It was not until 1696 that the Counsel was formally deputed to act for the Admiralty as well.2 However, in the interests of continuity the earlier holders of the office have been included in these lists. The office was discontinued in 1679, as a result of the decision to retrench naval expenditure, but was revived in 1685.3 Until 1696 the Counsel was empowered to appoint a Solicitor with a salary of £5.4 The salary of the Counsel which was originally £20, was raised to £100 in 1703.5 From 1824 the office was held concurrently with that of Judge Advocate of the Fleet.