BHO

Winchcombe

Page 130

Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

WINCHOMBE

(16 miles N. of Cirencester)

The alleged 'camp' on Langley Hill (SP 008290) cannot be accepted as a hill-fort on the basis of the visible remains (see p. xxxiv).

A monumental stone with a relief of a Roman soldier was found somewhere in Stancombe Wood (SP 039285). (fn. 1) A concentration of Romano-British pottery has been noted in a gas-pipe trench at SP 035279, with a further scatter extending N.N.E. past Stancombe Wood to SP 045305. (fn. 2)

Roman material of the 4th century has been found embodied in a Saxon rampart N. of the town (SP 024284), (fn. 3) and fragments of black urns 'of ancient British date' were reported from a nearby location N. of the church. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

  • 1. Annals of Winchcombe and Sudeley (1877), p. 15 and plate opposite.
  • 2. Archaeol. Review, 4 (1969), 42.
  • 3. MPBW Excavations, 1962, 8; 1963, 12.
  • 4. JBAA, XXXII (1876), 454.