An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxiv. N.W. (b)xxxiv. S.W.)
a(1). Contour Camp, on Boddington Hill occupies a striking position on the S. end of a ridge about 800 ft. above O.D. The defences consist of a single rampart and ditch, and enclose an area of 17½ acres. The strongest part of the work, that across the neck, has been totally obliterated by farm buildings, etc. The rampart on the E. is 13 ft. high and 51 ft. wide, and the ditch 3 ft. deep and 45 ft. wide; on the W. the ditch is obliterated. There is a gap at the S.W. end of the work, but the original entrance must have been on the N.E.
b(2). Parish Church of St. Michael, in the village, was entirely re-built in 1813, but retains the following fittings from the former church.
Fittings—Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, of Henry Bradschawe, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, 1553, and Joan, his wife, kneeling figures with four sons and four daughters, inscription in black-letter, and shield bearing arms. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1569, band of ornament round top of cup, second band, added at a later date, round foot.