An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. lii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, stands on a high hill in Hedsor Park, and is approached by a long avenue of yew trees. It is built of flint rubble and chalk in an irregular chequer-pattern, and the S.E. and S.W. angles of the nave are repaired with layers of tiles. The roof is tiled. The only remaining parts of the former building are the walls of the Chancel, and the S. and W. walls of the Nave; the windows of the chancel are apparently of the 15th century, the walls are probably of earlier date. The church was re-built or repaired early in the 17th century, as recorded on a tombstone in the churchyard, but only two buttresses of that date remain; they are at the W. end of the nave and possibly helped formerly to support a bell-cot. The North Aisle, Organ-Chamber and Vestry, the West Porch and a wooden Belfry were added in 1862; the South Transept was built and the rest of the church restored in 1886.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19½ ft. by 11½ ft.) is entirely modern inside, except two small single lights with trefoiled heads in the S. wall; the eastern has a modern head, with old jambs, the second is probably of the 15th century, much scraped. The chancel arch is modern. The Nave (31½ ft. by 19½ ft.) has been entirely restored, inside. The Aisle is modern, but some old material, probably from the N. wall of the nave, has been re-used in it.
Fittings—Bells: inaccessible, one said to be marked A.K. 1700. Floor-slabs: In the churchyard—at E. end of chancel, removed from the church, (1) to Rowland Hynd, who 're-edified' the church, 1608, and to Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Sir Robert Drury, knight, 1606, two shields with arms, and inscription; (2) to Elizabeth, second wife of Rowland Hynd, 1651; (3) to Rowland Hynd, 1658. At N. end of N. aisle (outside)—leaning against the wall, (4) slab from tomb, moulded, with chamfered edge, no inscription, much weathered, early 14th-century.
Condition—Good, much re-built.
(2). Old Hedsor House, remains, at the Priory, E. of the church, consist of three walls, built of flint and clunch in chequer pattern; they now enclose a garden, but are part of the outer walls of old Hedsor House. On the S.E. wall is a stone with the initials R.H. and the date 1583. In the S.E. and S.W. walls are two low recesses with segmental heads, possibly fireplaces; one doorway, of brick, is of two moulded orders, with a straight-sided four-centred arch in a square-headed outer order.
(3). Pile Dwelling, near Wharf House, about 400 yards S.W. of the church. Excavations were made in 1895, and some of the objects found are now in the County Museum at Aylesbury.
Condition—No structural remains above ground.