An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
72. MARLOW URBAN.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)li. N.E. (b)lii. N.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints, on the N. bank of the Thames, near Marlow Bridge, was re-built in 1834. The following fittings were in the former church.
Fittings—Monuments: In S. aisle—on S. wall, (1) of Katherine, wife of William Willoughby, 1597, two kneeling figures, man in armour, three sons, three daughters, with inscription, above the monument shield bearing arms, on each side smaller shields, alabaster and marble, painted. In N. aisle—on W. wall, (2) to William Horsepoole, of Gray's Inn, 1642, his wife, Mar—, daughter of Laurence Washington, 1644, two daughters, and four children of one daughter, with inscription, shields and crest. In N. porch—on W. wall, (3) of Sir Myles Hobart, knight, 1632, bust, of white stone, with representation below it of coach and four horses running away down a hill, to show the manner of his death. Plate: includes perforated stand paten of 1619, cup and stand paten of 1629, cup and stand paten of 1634, the two patens of later date have the initials and date R.C. 1629 engraved on them.
The town contains, in addition to those noted below, other buildings, possibly of 17th-century or earlier origin, much altered, and in some cases practically re-built.
b(2). The Old Parsonage, in St. Peter's Street, about 200 yards N. by E. of the church, is of two storeys; the oldest part is built of stone rubble, the rest is covered with rough-cast; the roofs are tiled. The original house, of which only the hall remains, was built late in the 14th century; it was partly re-built in the 17th century, and much enlarged at a later date.
The house is especially interesting on account of the 14th-century hall with the original windows and open timber roof.
The original plan is uncertain; the 17th-century building and a modern addition are W. of the hall, and there are modern additions on the E. The N. and S. walls of the hall are of stone rubble, with fragments of moulded stone built into them; in each wall is an original window of two trefoiled lights and tracery under a square head, rebated for a shutter inside; the N. window has remains of a moulded label; the lower part of the S. window is blocked with brick. At the E. end of the kitchen wing is a 14th-century doorway of stone, now set inside out; it has a drop arch and jambs of two chamfered orders, and a large moulded label. One chimney stack is of 17th-century brick. Interior:—The hall has a large open fireplace with a modern wood mantelpiece, and some richly carved 17th-century panelling at the sides; the original open timber roof has a king-post truss with four-way struts and a large cambered tie-beam supported by arched braces. In the 17th-century room W. of the hall the ceiling has cross beams covered with plaster and ornamented with rosettes. The room above it is lined with panelling of early 17th-century date. The upper part of the staircase is of c. 1640, and has square newels, a moulded handrail and turned balusters; the lower part is modern. An outhouse at the E. end of the building has some old moulded stones in the walls.
Condition—Good; but the stonework of the 14th-century windows is weatherworn.
High Street, E. side
b(3). The Chequers Inn, is of two storeys, built early in the 17th century, of brick and timber, now covered with plaster. The roof is tiled. In front the upper storey projects. Inside the house are some original ceiling-beams.
b(4). Malthouse, now a warehouse, in a yard behind a grocer's shop, is probably of early 17th-century date; the walls have old oak framing, with modern brick filling, except a short return at the E. end, where the original wattle and daub remains.
b(5). House, at the S. end of the street, now two shops, one called the 'Stone House', is of two storeys and an attic, built probably early in the 17th century, of brick and timber, now refaced and restored. The roofs are covered with tiles and with slate. The N. half of the E. front is faced with thin slabs of modern dressed stone; the S. half is of modern brick; a large covered gateway in the middle opens into a yard at the back of the house. The N. side of the building retains 17th-century timber-framing in the gable, and a post at the N.E. angle shows the original construction of the front. At the back are five gables; the N. part is of 17th-century thin bricks, the middle gable is plastered, and the S. part is of modern brick. Inside the house are some old stop-chamfered ceiling-beams, and one of them (in the southern shop) has a moulded bracket. In the Stone House is an original panelled door, now painted, and the cellar, which runs under the pavement, is vaulted, partly with stone and clunch, probably old material brought from the church in the 19th century, and partly with brick and cement.
b(6). House, at the N. end of the street, now incorporated in a modern shop, is probably part of a larger building of late 16th-century date, and is of two storeys; the upper storey is covered with modern rough-cast, but retains the original timber-framing in the gable, set in a pattern of squares and diagonal crosses, now painted. The ground floor is pierced by a covered gateway opening into a yard at the back of the house; on the side posts are the remains of curved brackets which formerly supported the overhanging upper storey. The roof is tiled, and the ceiling of the gateway has old plain joists.
West Street, S. side
b(7). Houses, two, now shops, near the Market Place, are of two storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, of brick, now covered with plaster in front, and much altered. The roofs are tiled. Between the two houses is a chimney stack of early 17th-century brick.
b(8). The Ship Inn, is of two storeys, built probably late in the 16th century, of brick and timber, now plastered; the roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped. In front are two gables, and the upper storey, which formerly projected, has been under-built. The walls at the back retain original black timbers and plaster filling. On the E. side of the S. wing the upper storey projects considerably, and the projection contains a trap-door opening into a room on the first floor. The central chimney stack is of late 16th-century brick. Inside the house the ceilings retain the original oak beams and framing of the roof. A small cupboard door is of late 16th-century panelling, and has ornamental hinges. A long timber-framed building at the back, containing a skittle alley, is possibly of the same date as the house.
a(9). Western House, about 700 yards W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, with an attic and a small cellar. The walls are of brick; the roofs are tiled. It is of late 17th-century date, restored in the 18th century, again restored and enlarged in the 19th century. The plan consists of two rectangular blocks, facing N., and joined only at one corner. The S.W. block appears to be of slightly later date than that on the N.E., and was probably added in 1699, a date appearing on one of the rain-water heads; the N. and W. walls have been re-faced with 18th-century brick; at the eaves is a large cornice of wood, and the attic is lighted by dormer windows. In front over the doorway is a fine example of a 'shell' porch, supported on two richly-carved brackets; two lead rain-water pipes have moulded heads with small cherubs' heads and the initials ICM, and on the side pieces securing one of the heads is the date 1699. At the back is an original panelled door. The N.E. block is of 17th-century red and blue bricks; at the E. end of the S. wall is an original panelled door, above which is a contemporary flat wooden hood, supported on two carved brackets, all now enclosed in a modern addition. Interior:—Some of the ceilings have old beams, and in the hall and one room there are moulded wood cornices. A room on the first floor has panelling of c. 1700, and there are three fireplaces of the same date, with large bolection-moulded architraves and panelled overmantels. The main staircase, of the 'dog-leg' type, is probably of c. 1700, and has turned balusters and moulded handrails. Some of the steps to the cellar are of old oak.
An outbuilding, including a stable, etc., S. of the house, is of the 17th century; the walls are of red and blue bricks; the roof is tiled. One part has chamfered ceiling-beams, and the roof-trusses are original.
a(10). The Borlase School, is a house of three storeys, built of flint, with brick quoins and dressings; the roofs are tiled. It was founded in 1624 by Sir William Borlase in memory of his son Henry, Parliamentary Burgess of the Borough, as recorded by an inscription on the porch.
The house is a good dated example of a 17th-century brick and flint building.
The plan of the original house is rectangular, with a central chimney stack and a projecting porch in front; on both sides and at the back are modern additions. S. Front:— The central porch, of three storeys, is gabled and has an original doorway, now converted into a window; above the doorway is the inscription recording the foundation. The main building has, on each side of the porch, a small stone panel with a text inscribed on it, in a plastered brick frame; the lower storeys have original square-headed windows with chamfered brick jambs and heads, the lower windows have labels; all have modern mullioned wood frames; the third storey is lighted by two dormer windows. The chimney stack has three detached shafts; the shaft in the middle is rectangular, with V-shaped pilasters at each end, the others are square, set diagonally. Interior:—A few plain oak posts in the staircase on the N. side are probably part of the original staircase; some original ceiling-beams remain.
Spital Street, N. side
b(11). House, opposite the Greyhound Hotel, is a 17th-century building of two storeys, much restored, and with modern additions at the back. The front is covered with plaster; the roof is tiled. The square brick chimney is possibly of late 17th-century date. One room has a large open fireplace, partly blocked.
b(12). The Greyhound Hotel, is of two storeys, built probably early in the 17th century, of brick and timber, and covered with plaster. The roof is covered with tiles and with slate. The front has been re-faced with modern brick; in the large gateway which opens into the yard at the back are some original timbers; one original chimney stack also remains. Inside the house are a few chamfered oak beams.
b(13). Cottages, two, next to the Greyhound Hotel, are of two storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and timber-framed; the lower storey has modern brick filling, the overhanging upper storey is covered with plaster; the roof is tiled, and half-hipped at the E. end. The original central chimney stack is of thin bricks. Some of the rooms have old beams.
b(14). The Cross Keys Inn, at the E. end of the street, is of two storeys, built in the 17th century, but re-faced with modern brick, except the front, which is covered with plaster and rough-cast; the roof is tiled. At the E. end is a large original chimney stack of brick.
b(15). Cottages, several, in Dean Street, at the E. end of the town, are each of two storeys, built in the 17th century. They retain their original timber-framing, but in most of them the brick or plaster filling has been renewed. The roofs are tiled. Two or three have original chimney stacks built of thin bricks and several cottages have old internal beams.
b(16). Stocks, Whipping-post and Door of Gaol, in an enclosure, N. of the church. The ironwork of the stocks and whipping-post is original, fixed to modern woodwork. The door of the gaol is possibly of the 16th century, strongly framed and studded with nails.