An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxvii. S.W. (b)xxxvii. S.E. (c)xli. N.E.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas, was entirely re-built in 1888–91, but much of the original material, flint rubble with freestone dressings, was re-used; many of the doorways and windows were re-set, and are chiefly of early 14th-century date.
Architectural Description—The Chancel has, in the N. wall, at the E. end, a window apparently of early 14th-century material, re-used; it is of two pointed lights with a pierced double spandrel in a two-centred head, and a moulded external label; near the W. end is a 15th-century window of one trefoiled light, the head cut out of one stone. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is a 14th-century window, similar to that opposite, and near the W. end is a much restored window of two pointed lights, the heads being probably of the 16th century, with a segmental label made up from a pointed label of early 14th-century date: in the same wall is a priest's doorway, of early 14th-century date, now blocked; the pointed head is of one moulded order, with an external label. The Nave has, in the N. wall, a few old stones in the jambs and mullions of the easternmost window, and the N. doorway, now blocked, is of early 14th-century date, of one chamfered order, with pointed head and label, much restored. The S. doorway is of early 14th-century date, and has continuously moulded jambs and pointed head with an external label which has head-stops. In the jambs and mullions of the lower window in the W. wall are a few old stones. The West Bell-cot has mediæval framework.
Fittings—Bells: three, by Alexander Rigby, 1699. Brass: In nave—on S. wall, of half-figure of a woman, 15th-century. Font: circular, with fluted and moulded bowl, having band of stiff-leafed foliage, circular base, early 13th-century, late example of the 'Aylesbury' type. Piscina: in chancel, with trefoiled, moulded head, stone shelf, with narrow groove below it, foiled bowl, cut back flush with the wall, probably late 14th-century. Plate: includes small silver cup of 1691, and cover without date-letter, but with the same maker's mark as on cup. Royal Arms: with crowned and crested helm and supporters, late 17th-century, painted. Screens: two, remains, now made into chancel rails; on each side of entrance, trefoiled heads of four bays, cut from single heavy plank, with pierced trefoiled spandrels, N. bays, c. 1380, S. bays, c. 1400; over S. bays, some carved woodwork, early 17th-century. Tiles: on altar platform, 4 in. square, five simple patterns, in yellow and red, two designs form part of a larger design; in the organ-chamber, similar, much worn, same patterns and two others; mediæval.
Condition—Good, re-built; font much worn.
a(2). Mount and Bailey Castle, near the church, now almost obliterated, the mount being scarcely visible. There are slight traces of a bailey N.W. of the mount; a stronger bailey on the S.E. has been converted into a moated site.
Condition—Much denuded and altered.
a(3). Homestead Moat, in Roundabout Wood, ⅓ mile N. of the church.
b(4). The Rectory, ½ mile S.E. of the church, is an 18th-century building, with a late 17th-century S. wing of two storeys, formerly a farmhouse. The wing is of two storeys, built of red bricks with some blue headers; the roof is tiled and half-hipped at the S. end; S. of the centre is a square chimney stack. Interior:—Two rooms have wide fireplaces, partly blocked, and there are some original doors with L-shaped hinges. A stable and barn S.E. of the house are also of late 17th-century date. The stable is of brick, with an open joist ceiling; the barn is timber-framed and weather-boarded, on a brick plinth. In the garden are some fragments of 14th and 15th-century window tracery, which came from the church.
a(5). House, now three tenements, at Frogmore Farm, ¼ mile W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, with filling of brick, partly in herringbone pattern, and some wattle and daub, probably original. The overhanging upper storey has been partly under-built with brick; the corner-posts, wall-posts and other timbers are unusually large. The roofs are tiled. The house was built probably in the middle of the 15th century, and much altered c. 1600. The plan is L-shaped, the hall wing extending towards the S., and the solar wing towards the W. The hall wing is in three bays of irregular length; an upper floor, a partition and a fireplace were inserted in it c. 1600. The solar wing is in three bays, and is now divided into four rooms; a passage was added on the S. side c. 1600; there appears to be no trace of a kitchen wing, but later additions make this uncertain. The E. and W. elevations of the solar wing are gabled, and the gables have heavy tie-beams, collar-beams and studs; on the E. the upper storey projects and is carried on beams. The hall wing is gabled at the S. end. Interior:—Remains of the open timber roof of the hall are visible; one truss, now in a room on the first floor, has a cambered and moulded tie-beam, with curved bracketing, and is carried on wall-posts with small moulded capitals; the collar-beam and purlins have curved wind-braces; the intermediate is a single chamfered beam with bracketed wall-posts. Several rooms have fireplaces with rough deep openings, some of them partly filled in.
The outbuildings which surround the farmyard E. of the house are of uncertain date.
c(6). Tumuli, two, near Slough Farm, 2 miles S.S.E. of the church, opened in 1858 without result.
a(7). Tumuli, two, and a Line of Entrenchment, at Lodge Hill, 1 mile S.S.W. of the church.
Condition—Of all, nearly obliterated.