An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xix. S.E. (b)xxiii. N.E.)
b(1). Parish Church of the Holy Cross (or St. Peter and St. Paul), on the E. side of the village, is built of a light-coloured local stone, restored with darker Northamptonshire stone; the upper part of the tower is of wood. The roofs of the aisles are covered with lead, the other roofs are tiled. The two eastern bays of the Nave are of the 12th century and a South Aisle of two bays was added early in the 13th century. The nave and S. aisle were lengthened, the North Aisle was built, and the Chancel re-built on a larger scale c. 1350. Late in the 15th century the E. bay of the N. arcade was widened and the other arches were apparently re-built, and the North Porch was added. The Tower was built over the W. end of the N. aisle probably in the 16th century. The chancel was re-built, using some of the old material, and the whole church was restored in 1882.
The 14th-century effigy in the chancel is especially interesting.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22½ ft. by 17 ft.) has modern detail, except the two-centred chancel arch, which is of mid 14th-century date, and of two chamfered orders; the inner order of the jambs has moulded capitals and bases, much mutilated; the soffit of the inner order of the arch is grooved, probably for a rood. The Nave (45 ft. by 16 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of three bays; the two-centred arches of the N. arcade are of two chamfered orders, mostly of large stones of late 15th-century date, but including some smaller stones of the 14th century, re-used, especially in the easternmost arch, which was widened in the 15th century; the octagonal columns have moulded capitals similar to those of the chancel arch, and the bases are chamfered; the W. respond is square, with chamfered angles, and has a 15th-century corbel with a carved grotesque head to support the inner order of the arch. The two eastern bays of the S. arcade are of early 13th-century date, with a circular column which has an original moulded base and a crudely moulded capital; the responds are square, with stop-chamfered angles and moulded abaci, and the arches are pointed, of one slightly chamfered order; in the middle spandrel, visible in the nave only, is the upper part of a 12th-century window with splayed jambs and semi-circular head; the E. respond is pierced by the 15th-century rood-stairs, with remains of six stone steps and a four-centred entrance, high up in the wall on the S. side; the third bay of the arcade is separated from the rest by five feet of plain wall, and is of mid 14th-century date, with plain stop-chamfered jambs and a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, the inner order dying into the jambs. The W. doorway, now blocked, is of late 15th-century date, and has moulded jambs and four-centred head with carved spandrels and a moulded label; the W. window is of three trefoiled lights in a two-centred head, with a moulded label and carved head-stops, much weathered; it is probably of 14th-century material, re-used, except the tracery which is modern. The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label, partly restored. In the N. wall are two windows similar to that in the E. wall, the eastern being considerably restored: the 14th-century N. doorway, between the windows, has continuously moulded jambs and two-centred head; the label has been destroyed. The South Aisle (9 ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head, with a moulded label; the jambs, mullion and tracery are also moulded. In the S. wall the eastern window is similar to that in the E. wall, but almost entirely restored: near the W. end of the wall is a small trefoiled window, restored outside; the cusps are much worn: between the windows is the late 14th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head. The Tower is of one stage above the W. end of the N. aisle, and is supported by large posts of chestnut, which rest on the floor. Externally, above the stonework which rises a few feet higher than the walls of the aisle, the sides are covered with shingles, the upper part, with the spire, being modern. The North Porch has an outer entrance of late 15th-century date, with chamfered jambs, a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders and a moulded label. Against each side wall is a stone seat, and in the E. wall is a small square opening, externally restored. The Roof of the S. aisle has two moulded beams with wall-brackets of early 17th-century date; the soffits of the beams and brackets are covered with flat carved ornament; the rest of the roof is modern, except the plain purlin. The roof of the porch has two moulded cambered tie-beams, with moulded embattled wall-plates of late 15th-century date; the rest is modern.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus; 1st probably by Robert Newcombe and Bartholomew Atton, 1583; 2nd probably by John White, when assistant to John Hasylwood, early 16th-century; 3rd by Anthony Chandler, 1669; sanctus, possibly 17th-century; bell-frame of wood, old. Bracket: In S. aisle—on E. wall, for image or lamp, plain, chamfered. Brass: In S. aisle—on S. wall, to Thomas Mayne, yeoman, 1608. Font: octagonal bowl, stem and moulded base, 15th-century Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, in modern recess, (1) recumbent effigy of man, in long robe with tunic and hood, model of building between his hands, animal at his feet, said to be of William de Birmingham, who died 1342. In S. aisle—(2) to Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Mayne, and daughter of Francis Blythe, 1599, altar tomb of Purbeck marble, covering stone said to be an altar slab, found in the floor of the S. aisle, having five consecration crosses underneath, sides and ends of tomb panelled, inscription, epitaph in verse and shields with arms. Floor-slabs: In N. aisle—(1) to Thomas Mayne, 1659, almost illegible. In S. aisle—(2) to Charles Gataker, rector of the parish, 1680, inscription in Latin; (3) to Elizabeth, wife of William Mayne, 1695; (4) tablet with skull and crossbones, initials, J.H., and date 1700. Panelling: In S. aisle— made up into umbrella-stand, carved, early 17th-century. Piscina: In S. aisle—with irregular trefoiled head and projecting circular basin, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup with cover paten, cup of 1569, no mark on cover; standing paten, apparently 17th-century, maker's mark only; flagon, dated 168¾, date-letter 1683. Miscellanea: In chancel—built into S. wall, sill of narrow lancet window; two short pieces of string-course or labels, carved with serrated ornament, late 12th or early 13th-century; square stone with two concentric circles scratched on it. In nave—tussock (or hassock) of dried grass, possibly 17th-century. In N. aisle—built into N. wall, near W. end, small stone, carved as face, probably 14th-century. In N. porch—built into seat on E. side, moulded and carved stone, part of string-course or cornice, 15th-century; in W. wall, stone with plain cross carved on it, probably a churchyard headstone.
b(2). Village Enclosure; traces remain round the village.
b(3). The Manor House, 200 feet S. of the church, is of two storeys and an attic, built of brick c. 1620, restored in the 18th century, enlarged and further restored at a later date. The roofs are tiled.
The building is an interesting example of early 17th-century brickwork; the moulded brick cornice and the chimney stacks are especially noteworthy.
The plan is L-shaped, the wings extending towards the N. and W., with a staircase in the angle between them; the modern addition is at the W. end of the W. wing. The original hall, now the dairy, is in the N. wing. The W. wing contains only one room and a passage opening into the staircase. On the S. Elevation (see Plate, p. 74) the wall is of original brick, with a plain string-course between the storeys, a moulded brick cornice with small modillions, and two gables, the eastern plain, and the western curvilinear; in the middle of the wall is a wide brick pilaster; towards the E. end is a shallow projection, containing the original entrance to the hall, with deep recesses in the wall above it; towards the W. end, cutting into the gable, but not central with it, is a projecting chimney stack, with three square shafts, each with a deep moulded base; the middle shaft is set diagonally: two of the windows are of the 18th century, the others are modern. The E. Elevation has a moulded cornice, string-course and pilaster, similar to those on the S. front, and three plain small gables; set against the gable at each end, but not central with it, is a projecting chimney stack, with two square shafts set diagonally, each with a moulded base. The buttresses at the N.E. and S.E. angles are modern. On the N. Elevation, in the N. wing, an original doorway opening into the hall has been partly blocked and is used as a window; the brick pilasters remain, and a moulded segmental arch, now covered with cement; above it are pilasters reaching the moulded cornice, similar to those on the other walls; the gable is plain, and several of the windows are blocked: on the N. side the staircase is gabled, and has, on the first floor, a window, probably original, now partly blocked; it has a wooden frame and quarry glazing; in the W. wall of the staircase is a stone window of two lights; one light is blocked.
Interior:—In the W. wing, on the ground floor, the living room is lined with early 17th-century panelling; the dairy has, in the ceiling, two original beams, and, at the N. end, some small pieces of ornamental plaster-work, including cherubs' heads, knobs and roses, not in situ. The wide opening into the staircase has jambs with square posts, which have panelled sides, moulded capitals and bases, and are possibly of late 17th-century date. The staircase, from the ground to the first floor, is of the 17th century, and has large square newels with mouldings planted on, and large ball tops; one newel has a moulded pendant; the massive moulded handrail is supported by large turned balusters.
These buildings are each of two storeys, the upper storey partly in the roof, built probably in the 17th century, and timber-framed, considerably restored with modern brick. The roofs are thatched. All the buildings, except one, are of rectangular plan.
b(4). Cottage, known as the Church House, on the N. side of the Winslow road, N.W. of the church. In the E. part of the S. front is a former opening with a roughly moulded segmental arch, now blocked. Two square chimneys are of 17th-century brick, restored.
Condition—Of the E. part, used only for farm purposes, poor; of the rest, fairly good.
b(5). Cottage, on the W. side of a lane, 160 yards N.W. of the church. The walls are almost entirely of modern brick. The plan is L-shaped. One chimney is partly of 17th-century brick.
b(6). Rose Cottage, at the N. end of a lane, about 280 yards N.N.W. of the church. Some of the 17th-century plaster filling remains in the walls.
b(7). Sweet Briar Cottage, N.W. of (6). Condition—Fairly good.
a(8). Mounds, two adjoining (one in the parish of Swanbourne see (41) p 293), 5/8 of a mile N. of Hoggeston church, probably boundary mounds.
b(9). Mound, in Pond meadow, about 800 yards S.S.W. of the church, is about 3 ft. high, and 36 ft. in diameter, and has slight traces of a surrounding ditch. It stands within an enclosure consisting of an internal ditch and external bank, probably an old field boundary.