Hogshaw

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

, 'Hogshaw', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913) pp. 153-154. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp153-154 [accessed 22 May 2024].

. "Hogshaw", in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913) 153-154. British History Online, accessed May 22, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp153-154.

. "Hogshaw", An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913). 153-154. British History Online. Web. 22 May 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp153-154.

In this section

149. HOGSHAW.

(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxii. N.E. (b)xxii. S.E. (c)xxiii. N.W.)

Ecclesiastical

a(1). Stone Fragments, probably from the former church of St. John the Baptist, on Hogshaw Farm, W. of the site marked by the Ordnance Survey as that of the church. A barn or cowhouse of modern brick has some courses of old worked stones in the foundations; near it is a pile of stones, some of them being of the 15th century; one stone is from the jamb of a 15th-century window with deep internal and external reveals.

Condition—Fragmentary.

Secular

a(2). Homestead Moat, S.W. of Hogshaw Farm; traces of an apparently double moated site.

c(3). Fulbrook Farm, house and moat, about ¾ mile E. of the reputed site of the former church. The House is of stone and brick; the roofs are tiled. The original building is of one storey and an attic, and of central chimney type, erected in the second half of the 16th century; about a century later a wing of two storeys and an attic was added on the S. side, making the plan T-shaped; the one and two-storeyed additions W. of the wing were made in the 17th century, and much altered, with the rest of the house, in the 18th century, or were built possibly at the later date; in the 19th century additions were made on the N. side and the house was restored. The original building is of rough ashlar, but the gables at the E. and W. ends were re-built with brick in the 19th century, when the E. half of the roof was re-tiled, and the W. half re-built at a higher level. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is an original window of four lights with jambs, head and mullions of moulded stone, and diamond-shaped quarries of plain glass. The original chimney stack, of brick, has square shafts set diagonally. The ground floor of the 17th-century wing is of fine ashlar, with a moulded stone string-course; the upper floors are of brick, with stone quoins; the additions W. of the wing are of rough ashlar.

Interior:—The original building has, on the ground floor, in the N. wall, the remains of a window similar to that in the S. wall, and now forming an internal doorway. In the attic is a fireplace with jambs and three-centred head of stone, partly covered with plaster, but possibly original.

Of the Moat only traces remain.

Condition—Of house, good, much altered; of moat, poor.

a(4). Farmhouse, about 1½ miles S. of East Claydon Church, is a small building of two storeys. The walls are partly covered with rough-cast, probably on timber and brick, and partly of modern brick; the roofs are tiled. The original house, of the central chimney type, was built early in the 17th century, but in the 19th century it was much altered and an addition was built at the S. end, making the plan L-shaped. At the N. end is a half-hipped gable. Only the stump of the original chimney stack remains above the roof, and has V-shaped pilasters.

Condition—Fairly good.

b(5). Kitehall Farm, nearly 1 mile W.S.W. of the reputed site of the former church, is a house of one storey and an attic, built in the 17th century, and timber-framed; the brick filling is almost entirely modern. The plan is rectangular, with modern additions on the N., S. and W. The original central chimney has V-shaped projections on each side.

Condition—Poor, now unoccupied.

Horwood, Great and Little, see Great Horwood and Little Horwood.