An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
154. LILLINGSTONE DAYRELL.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)viii. N.W. (b)viii. S.W. (c)viii. S.E.)
c(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, about ¾ mile S.W. of Lillingstone Lovell church, is built of grey limestone rubble, except the S. porch, which is of yellow-brown Northamptonshire stone roughly ashlar-faced. The roofs are tiled, except that of the tower, which is covered with lead, and that of the porch which is made of large flag-stones. The Nave is probably of late 11th-century date. The Chancel was re-built and a window inserted in the W. wall of the nave early in the 13th century; at a slightly later date the West Tower was built, probably replacing a small 11th-century W. chamber; towards the end of the 13th century the chancel was lengthened, a N. aisle built, and the South Aisle added. The South Porch was built in the first half of the 15th century. The third stage of the tower apparently has been re-built, possibly in the 18th century; in the 19th century the North Aisle was re-built, the Vestry and Organ-chamber were added, and the church was generally restored.
The church is interesting on account of the early date of the nave; among the fittings the 16th-century effigies in the chancel are noticeable and are evidently by the same sculptor as the Peckham effigies at Denham (see Denham, Inventory of S. Buckinghamshire, pp. xxviii, 115); the 13th-century tiles are also remarkable.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft. by 13½ ft.) has a late 13th-century E. window, of three uncusped lights, with three pierced circles in a two-centred head; the internal jambs and mullions are shafted. In the N. wall, at the E. end, is a 13th-century window of two lancet lights, re-set; externally the lights are rebated and the double spandrel has a foliated diamond-shaped ornament; the internal spandrel, under the segmental rear arch, has a circular ornament, now partly hidden: under the window, and extending towards the W. is a wide recess (see Easter Sepulchre): W. of the window is a modern arch opening into the organ-chamber. In the S. wall are three windows; the eastern is of the 13th century, re-set, and of two lancet lights under a segmental rear arch; externally the jambs and heads are moulded, and in the spandrel is a foliated circle; the mullion is shafted and enriched with dog-tooth ornament; the second window is an early 13th-century lancet: below the windows and continued towards the W. end, inside, is a late 13th-century wall arcade of four bays, with round attached shafts, moulded capitals carved with nail-head ornament, and a hollow-chamfered label, all curiously rough work; in the westernmost recess of the arcade is a 13th-century low-side window, rebated for an internal shutter. The late 11th-century chancel arch is semi-circular and of one square order; the chamfered imposts are much scraped. At the N.W. corner of the chancel is a squint from the nave, now blocked. The Nave (31½ ft. by 16 ft.) has late 13th-century N. and S. arcades, of three bays, much scraped and restored; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders, with chamfered labels in the aisles, and hollow-chamfered labels in the nave; the pillars are octagonal, with moulded capitals; the moulded bases of the N. arcade are modern, those of the S. arcade much restored; the outer order of the arches dies into the E. and W. walls, the inner order is carried on corbel-capitals. The North Aisle, Vestry and Organ-chamber are modern. The South Aisle (7 ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a window of 1330–40, considerably restored, and of three trefoiled lights with net tracery in a two-centred head. In the S. wall are two windows; the eastern is of early 15th-century date, and of three cinque-foiled lights under a square head, all of Northamptonshire stone; the western window is of 1330–40, and of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head: between the windows is the S. doorway, of late 13th-century date, with jambs and two-centred head of two moulded orders, the inner order continuous, the outer order with shafts in the jambs. The West Tower (9 ft. square) is of three stages, marked by slight off-sets; the third stage is unusually low, and without a parapet. The 11th-century arch opening from the nave probably opened originally into a small chamber at the W. end of the church, and is similar to the chancel arch; the moulded imposts have been re-cut: above the arch is a long 13th-century lancet window, set high in the wall, and now opening into the tower. The W. window is a small 13th-century lancet with an external rebate; in the W. wall of the second stage is a similar lancet, much restored. The bell-chamber has two lancet windows in each wall; in the N. and S. walls the two lancets are set in a slightly sunk outer order with a two-centred head. The South Porch (7 ft. by 5½ ft.) is entirely of early 15th-century date; the two-centred entrance archway is of two chamfered orders; in the E. and W. walls are small quatrefoil windows. The steep-pitched Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century, with chamfered tie-beams, curved struts, angle-brackets, curved wind-braces, chamfered purlins and no ridgepole. The steep-pitched roof of the porch is of the 15th century and of flagstones, without wooden framing or ceiling.
Fittings—Bells: three, 3rd by Richard Chandler, 1674. Brasses (see also Monument (1)): In chancel—at E. end, of Richard Blakysley, rector of the parish, 1493, small figure of priest in Mass vestments, headless, with inscription. Easter Sepulchre: In chancel—in N. wall, recess with drop arch of one filleted and hollow-chamfered order, with similar ribs springing from a corbel-capital in the middle, shafted jambs, all of rough workmanship, similar to arcade on S. wall, late 13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—in third bay of arcade on S. wall, (1) of Paul Dayrell, 1491, and Margaret his wife, altar tomb, of rough workmanship, in slab at the top brass with two figures, man in elaborate plate armour, woman in fur-trimmed gown, with inscription; on S. wall, (2) to Paul Dayrel, 1690; in middle of chancel, (3) of [Paul Dayrell, 1566, and Dorothy, daughter of John Young, of Croome, wife firstly of William Haddon, secondly of William Saunders, thirdly of Paul Dayrell, 1571], monument with recumbent effigies of man in armour and woman in close head-dress and gown with fur tippet, on sides of tomb small kneeling figures of nine sons and six daughters, slab at the top supported by Doric columns with fluted shafts springing from urns and acanthus leaves, frieze with metopes carved alternately with cinquefoils and elephants' heads razed (for Saunders), on plinth inscription to 'Doretie' by her son Walter Haddon, dated 1571, on all sides of tomb shields with arms. Floor-slab: In chancel—at E. end, to Frances, daughter of Peter Dayrell, wife of Matthew Wilkes, 1694, inscription and arms. Piscina: In chancel—with trefoiled head, label of arcade carried over it, late 13th-century. Plate: includes two cups, one of 1604, the other of 1618–1637, and standing paten of 1662. Sedilia: In chancel—in two eastern bays of arcade on S. wall, late 13th-century. Tiles: In chancel—at E. end, eight with raised design, each forming quarter of a complete design, early 13th-century; on N. and S. sides, 'slip' tiles, 14th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel—on N. wall, two funeral helms, one made up with skull of 16th-century close-helmet, the other apparently all imitation, both probably 17th-century; curtain, of red velvet with embroidered shield bearing arms of Dayrell, helm and mantle, scroll with motto, inscription to Thomas Dayrell, 1669; lying on the Dayrell tomb, two carved wooden crests, goats' heads, probably belonged to helms.
c(2). Fish-ponds, E. of the Rectory, now dry.
c(3). The Rectory, formerly known as Pondclose House, is of two storeys, facing E.; the walls are of stone rubble and brick; the roofs are covered with tiles and with slate. It was built in the first half of the 17th century, on a rectangular plan with small breaks in the E. and S. walls; in the E. half is the hall, with a room on each side; the W. half contains the kitchen, staircase and a lobby. The E. half was re-fronted and heightened in the 18th century; at the back considerable additions were made in the 19th century, but above them are visible two windows with original chamfered lintels of oak, and the tiled roof is also of the 17th century.
b(4). The Old Tile House, now two tenements, stands in a park about 1¼ miles W. of the church; it is of two storeys and an attic, built of red brick in English bond, with some stone, in 1693–1697, the dates on a stone over the porch and on the head of a rainwater pipe; the house was altered and restored in the 19th century. The roofs are tiled.
The building is a small, but interesting example of late 17th-century brickwork.
The plan is L-shaped; in the internal angle, which faces W., is a small staircase wing, and on the S.E. front a small wing with a porch; on the ground floor are three rooms, with a corridor running from the porch to the staircase; a second staircase and a small one-storeyed addition on the N.E. side are modern. The ends of the principal wings, the staircase wing and the porch are gabled and have plain brick parapets and stone kneelers. The walls have a plain wooden cornice under the eaves; the original windows have flat brick arches and solid wooden frames with transoms and mullions, rebated but not moulded; segmental arches have been inserted in some of the windows on the N.E. side; the dormer windows have hipped gables: the doorways have plain solid frames; the outer doorway of the porch has a flat brick arch, and over it is a stone carved with the Dayrell arms and the date 1693; the stone has been recently returned from the rectory and is now in its original position; above it is a moulded wooden cornice: on each side of the porch is an original rainwater pipe, with the initials 'M.D.' on the head of one pipe, and the date 1697 on the other. The rectangular chimney stacks are plain.
Interior:—On the ground floor the room on the N.E. side of the corridor is lined with large original panels in two stages, and the doorways have heavy moulded architraves; the floor is paved with black and white square stones. The corridor is lined with panelling similar to that in the N.E. room. The staircase at the end of the corridor has an original handrail, string and newels; the balusters are modern.
a(5). Chapel, now two tenements, at Chapel Green, 2 miles N.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are partly of ironstone ashlar and partly of limestone rubble; the roof is thatched. The chapel was built probably in the 15th century, and was possibly attached to Luffield Priory; in the 17th century it was converted into dwellings, and the N. and S. walls were apparently re-built with stone rubble.
The building is interesting on account of the 15th-century remains.
In the E. wall is a 15th-century window with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, probably originally of three lights, now blocked, and almost entirely covered by a 17th-century chimney stack, which is of stone with modern brick at the top, and has a second shaft of 17th-century brick against it. In the N. and S. walls some of the windows and the N. doorway have old oak lintels; a straight joint in the N. wall possibly indicates the position of a former doorway. The gabled W. wall is partly covered by a lean-to addition, inside which is visible the original W. doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, now blocked; above the doorway is part of the outline of the W. window; the head is probably square, but is hidden by the roof of the lean-to addition; over the gable is a chimney of thin bricks, probably of the 17th-century. Interior:—Some of the ceilings have stop-chamfered beams; at each end of the building is a wide fireplace, partly blocked.
a(6). Tumulus, or boundary mound, about 600 yards E. of Luffield Abbey Farm, and 300 yards W. of Chapel Green, is about 45 ft. in diameter at the base and is encircled by a slight ditch. The county boundary passes a few yards N. of the mound.