An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
155. LILLINGSTONE LOVELL.
(O.S. 6 in. viii. S.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, on the W. side of the village, is built of stone rubble, with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled, except those of the N. chapel and S. aisle, which are covered with lead. The two lower stages of the West Tower are of the 13th century, and the S. doorway is of c. 1210, but the rest of the church was entirely re-built c. 1340, when the Nave was considerably lengthened towards the E., the Chancel much widened, the South Aisle added, or re-built on a larger scale, and the North Chapel and the third stage of the tower were built; the nave is unusually narrow, and the arcades and narrow North Aisle are built probably on old foundations; the South Porch was added in 1639, and the roof of the nave, aisles and N. chapel were probably renewed at that time. The chancel was reduced to about half the former length in the 18th or 19th century; the church was restored and the small North Vestry built in 1891–2.
The 13th-century S. doorway and the 14th-century piscinae and sedilia are especially interesting. The brass of Thomas Clarell, 1471, is also noteworthy as the only example in the county of a figure wearing the collar of Suns and Roses.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (13½ ft. by 17 ft.) has, re-set in the modern E. wall, a 14th-century window of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head; in the middle of the tracery, outside, is a small carved face; the mullions are modern. In the N. wall the window has been destroyed, and only the dressings of the jambs and rear arch remain. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is a doorway, probably of the 14th century, now blocked; it has chamfered jambs and two-centred head with a chamfered external label which has mask-stops; near the W. end is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head; below the western light is a rectangular low-side window with chamfered jambs, head and sill, rebated inside for a shutter; the shutter is modern, but the iron catch for the fastener is old. The 14th-century chancel arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the outer order is continuous, the inner rests on large moulded corbels. On each side of the chancel arch is a squint, one from the N. chapel and the other from the S. aisle, probably of the 15th-century. The Nave (48 ft. by 11½ ft.) has 14th-century N. and S. arcades, each of three bays, with octagonal pillars, which have moulded capitals; the moulded bases have been partly cut away for the modern seating; the moulded corbels of the W. responds have a carved head below them and support the inner order of the arches; the corbels of the E. responds have been cut away; the arches are two-centred and of two chamfered orders with a chamfered label on each side. In the N. wall, E. of the arcade, high up, is a trefoiled opening, with splayed jambs, apparently intended to light the rood from the N. chapel, and E. of the S. arcade is the upper doorway of the former rood-loft, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, of the 15th century. The clearstorey has four modern windows on the S. side. The North Chapel (17½ ft. by 11 ft.) has a 14th-century E. window of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head, with a chamfered external label which has plain stops. In the N. wall is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head; the chamfered external label has one mask-stop, the other stop is carved with a ball-flower. The North Aisle (6 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, a window similar to the N. window of the chapel, but considerably restored; further E., now opening into the modern vestry, is a 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head; the chamfered external label has one remaining head-stop much worn. The South Aisle (10 ft. wide) has a 14th-century E. window, of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery, similar to the E. window of the N. chapel, but the jambs and heads of the lights are sunk-chamfered, the mullions are modern and the tracery has been restored with cement. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of late 15th or early 16th-century date, and of three pointed uncusped lights under a four-centred head, with a moulded external label; the western window is of two trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head, all modern, except parts of the tracery, internal jambs and rear arch, which are of the 14th century: between the windows is the S. doorway of c. 1210, re-set; it has shafted jambs with moulded bases and plain foliated capitals; the two-centred head is of two richly moulded orders, with a roll label. The West Tower (10 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of three stages, the lower stages being undivided externally; at the top of the walls is a string-course with a carved face at each angle; the saddle-back roof, with E. and W. gables, is modern. The 13th-century tower arch is two-centred and of two square orders, the outer order being stilted; the jambs are square with chamfered imposts. The W. window is a small 13th-century lancet, and has a gableshaped label with dog-tooth ornament; high up in the N., S. and W. walls of the ground stage are narrow windows, possibly lancets, now blocked, and hidden externally by ivy. In the N. and S. walls of the second stage are plain rectangular lights. The third stage has, in each wall, a 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head, with a chamfered external label which has head-stops. The South Porch has, in the gable, a stone panel carved with the date 1639, and below it the date of the restoration, 1892. The 17th-century outer archway is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, with a chamfered external label, possibly of earlier date than the porch; on the apex of the gable is a circular stone sundial, probably of the 18th century. In each side wall is a square-headed window of the 17th century, and of two lights with rebated and chamfered jambs and head, and a chamfered mullion. The Roofs are all probably of c. 1639, except that of the chancel, which is modern. The roof of the nave has moulded tie-beams, principal rafters, collar-beams with curved struts, purlins and straight wind-braces; the cornice is moulded. The N. chapel has a flat-pitched roof with chamfered central beam, purlin and rafters. The lean-to roof of the N. aisle is similar to that of the chapel. The S. aisle has a flat lean-to roof with moulded purlin and upper wall-plate, moulded lower wall-plate, stop-chamfered principals and rafters. The roof of the S. porch is steep-pitched, and has moulded purlins; on the truss against the wall of the nave is the date 1639 and the names of the churchwardens.
Fittings—Bells: four, all by Alexander Rigbe, 1693; frame probably of the same date. Brasses: In chancel—(1) of Thomas Clarell, patron of the church, 1471, and Agnes his wife, 146– (date of death not filled in); brass cut 1460; figures, of man in fur-trimmed robe with collar of Suns and Roses, of woman, on his right hand, in small horned head-dress, kneeling figures of one son and two daughters, with inscription; (2) to John Merstun, rector of the parish, 1446, inscription, and two hands issuing from cloud holding pierced heart inscribed 'I H C~'. In nave—(3) of William Rysley, 1516, and Agnes his wife, figures, of man with long hair and fur-trimmed gown, of woman in pedimental head-dress, inscription, and three shields, set inverted on the slab, above figures 1st shield, much defaced, of Bradshaw quartering a bend with three wings thereon; below figures 2nd and 3rd shields, with the arms of Risley of Chetwode, a fesse between three crescents. Chairs: In chancel—on N. side, with turned legs and armsupports, plain foot-rail, back and top-rail slightly ornamented, 17th-century, back partly modern; on S. side, with carved legs and arm-supports, curved arms, carved foot-rail, late 17th-century, partly made up with modern wood. Glass: In N. chapel—in head of E. window, fragments. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Floor-slab: In S. aisle—near E. end, to Robert C . . . (name illegible), 1637. Piscinae (see also Sedilia): In N. chapel—in S. wall, double, with two trefoiled ogee arches and tracery in a two-centred head with chamfered label and head-stops, circular shallow basins, 14th-century. In S. aisle—in S. wall, of similar type to that in chapel, but tracery of different design, no label, drain to E. basin only, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup and cover paten, c. 1570, no hall-mark or date-letter, foot of paten missing. Pulpit: of oak, five and a half sides of an octagon, each with two tiers of carved round-headed panels separated by carved rail, fluted rail at the top, early 17th-century, partly restored, cornice, base and pedestal modern. Sedilia: In N. chapel—in range with piscina, with chamfered jambs and cinque-foiled two-centred head, label continued from piscina, 14th-century. In S. aisle—in range with piscina, similar to that in N. chapel, but without cusping or label; opening between piscina and sedile with trefoiled head; 14th-century. Stoup: In S. aisle— near S. doorway, with trefoiled head, no basin, 15th-century. Tiles: In tower—loose, some mediæval, much worn. Miscellanea: In chancel— on jamb of S. doorway, incised sundial.
(2). Homestead Moat and Fish-pond, S. of Lillingstone Hall.
(3). Lillingstone Hall, house and fish-pond, about 600 yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of stone; the roofs are covered partly with tiles and partly with slate. It consists of a rectangular block, built early in the 17th century, with modern additions on the N., S. and W. sides; all the doorways and windows are modern. The bases of two of the chimney stacks are original.
Interior:—In the 17th-century part of the house, on the ground floor, one of the ceiling-beams is moulded, but now covered with plaster. On the first floor two rooms have 17th-century panelling, imported from elsewhere.
The Fish-pond, in the garden S. of the house, is nearly dry.
Condition—Of house, good.
The Towcester road, N. side
(4). Farmhouse, formerly an inn, 150 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys, built of stone in the 17th century; the roofs are tiled. The plan was originally of half-H shape, the wings projecting towards the W., but the space between them has been enclosed to form a hall. On the W. front the wings have each a flat-topped gable, surmounted by a chimney stack with two square shafts on a square base, all of brick. Interior:— One room has a moulded ceiling-beam and there is a wide open fireplace, partly blocked.
(5). Cottages, a range of three tenements, opposite to (4), are of two storeys, built of stone in the 17th century. The roof is thatched. On the W. front are two gabled dormer windows. Three chimney stacks of brick are original.
Linford, Great and Little, see Great Linford and Little Linford.