An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
168. MILTON KEYNES.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)x. S.W. (b)x. S.E.)
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints, on the W. side of the village, is built of stone rubble, with stone dressings. The roofs are tiled. The only remaining detail of a date earlier than the 14th century is that of the late 12th-century chancel arch, and part of a 13th-century lancet window re-set, probably as a piscina, in the nave; the church was re-built c. 1330, when the Chancel was enlarged, and a North Chapel added to it, and the Nave was lengthened towards the W., and considerably widened towards the N. The North-East Tower and South Porch were also added c. 1330. The whole building was restored in the 19th century.
The church is interesting on account of the fine 14th-century detail; the window tracery, and the S. doorway and porch, are especially noteworthy.
Architectural Description—All the detail in the church, except the chancel arch and some of the fittings, is of c. 1330, unless modern. The S. wall of the chancel and the N. and S. walls of the nave have plain parapets, moulded at the top, with a moulded cornice carved with grotesque beasts and foliage, entirely restored, except the beasts at three of the angles of the nave; the S. buttress between the nave and chancel, the buttresses at the N.E. corner of the chapel, at the S.E. corner of the chancel and at the W. angles of the nave are gabled, and have octagonal pinnacles and crocketed finials, some of them being restored and others modern. The Chancel (30 ft. by 17 ft.) has an E. window of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head; the moulded outer order of the jambs is carried above the springing and forms a stilted outer order to the head; the external label is moulded and has head-stops, one being modern. In the N. wall, opening into the N. chapel, is an arcade of two bays; the responds are moulded and have moulded bases and semi-octagonal capitals, formerly carved with heads which have been hacked away; the circular column has a moulded circular base and capital; the arches are two-centred and of two chamfered orders. In the S. wall are three windows, each of two cinque-foiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head; the easternmost window has a moulded external label with head-stops; the second window has been partly restored, and the stops of the label are modern; the third is a low-side window with the jambs and heads of both lights rebated internally for shutters: between the second and third windows is a doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head; the moulded external label has modern head-stops and the jambs have been slightly restored. The late 12th-century chancel arch is two-centred and of three orders, the inner and outer orders being hollow-chamfered, with broach-stops; the shafted jambs have moulded bases, considerably restored, and plain foliated capitals with moulded abaci. The North Chapel (31 ft. by 13½ ft.) has, in the E. wall, a window of three cinque-foiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head; the moulded external jambs and label are similar to those of the E. window of the chancel; part of the tracery and the label-stops are modern. In the N. wall are three windows; the two eastern are similar to the S.E. windows of the chancel; below the second window is a small pointed opening with a wood shutter, entirely modern, except one stone in the internal splay, and the flat segmental rear arch, which is hollow-chamfered and forms part of the sill of the window above it; the westernmost window has been almost entirely restored, and is of one trefoiled light with tracery; below it is a light forming a low-side window, with a shutter; only the internal W. splay is old: between the second and third windows is a doorway similar to the S. doorway of the chancel, but much restored. The Nave (61 ft. by 25 ft.) has, in the E. wall, opening into the N. chapel, a two-centred arch, moulded on the W. side. In the N. wall is the tower arch (see tower): further W. are two windows, each of three lights and tracery; the eastern window is similar to the E. window of the chancel, but without the moulded outer order; the tracery has been slightly restored; the western window is similar to the E. window of the N. chapel, but without the moulded outer order; one head-stop of the label is modern: W. of the windows is a doorway similar to the S. doorway of the chancel; the label has modern stops. In the S. wall are three windows, each of three lights: the first and third are similar to the E. window of the chancel; the label-stops are modern; the middle window is similar to the E. window of the N. chapel, and the label has one original stop, carved as a winged bull: W. of the windows is the S. doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred head; the head is richly cusped and has small foliated terminals at the points of the main cusps; the label is moulded and enriched with ball-flower ornament and a flowing stem between each flower; the E. stop of the label is carved as a lion, the W. stop is defaced. In the W. wall is a window similar to the E. window of the chancel, but entirely modern, except the jambs, which have been re-cut. The North-East Tower (11½ ft. by 11 ft.) is of three stages, with angle buttresses at the N. angles, a stair-turret in the S.W. corner and an embattled parapet. Each wall of the ground stage is thinned by an original internal recess with a two-centred arch; the arches spring from splayed responds in the N.E. and N.W. angles; in the recess in the S. wall, opening into the nave, is a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders; the jambs are moulded, the inner order having moulded semi-octagonal bases and capitals; the E. capital is enriched with dog-tooth ornament, and the W. capital with ball-flower ornament; on the S. side of each capital the carving has been destroyed. The N. window is similar to the E. window of the N. chapel, but only the jambs and part of the label are original, and the jambs have been re-cut. The second stage has a small trefoiled light in the W. wall, and a small window, now blocked, in the E. wall. In each wall of the bell-chamber is a window of three uncusped lights and tracery, in a two-centred head with a plain label, which has carved head-stops. The South Porch (9 ft. by 7 ft.) has a two-centred entrance archway of two moulded orders; the inner order of the jambs has moulded capitals and bases, partly modern, and the label is modern. In each side wall is an opening of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a square head, with small shafts which have moulded capitals and bases, instead of mullions. The Roofs are modern, but the line of the former lean-to roof of the N. chapel is visible on the E. wall of the tower.
Fittings—Bells: five and sanctus; 2nd by Newcombe, 1614; 3rd by Anthony Chandler, 1675; sanctus, probably 17th-century; oak bell-frame, old. Books: In nave—on a desk at E. end, Bible, leather-bound, brass corners, and chain attached to desk, dated 1613. Bracket: In tower—on respond in N.E. angle, 14th-century; on N.W. respond, traces of corresponding bracket. Brasses and Indents. Brass: In chancel—on S. wall, on modern slab, of Adam Babyngton, rector of the parish, 1427, figure of priest in Mass vestments, inscription, and shield of lead to represent silver, with arms, ten roundels, a label of three points for Babington, possibly does not belong to figure, see indent (1). [Since date of visit shield removed.] Indents: In churchyard—against S. wall, removed from church, (1) of figure of priest (see brass); (2) of upper half of knight's figure, with marginal inscription, few letters legible, 14th-century; (3) outlines obliterated, some rivets of brass. Font: In churchyard—S. of the church, octagonal bowl, with chamfered base, 15th-century, base covered with moss. Locker: In chancel—on N. wall, plain, rectangular. Niches: external, in S. buttress between nave and chancel—with moulded jambs and ogee head, the jambs probably re-cut, the head modern; in W. gable of nave, a range of seven, small, with trefoiled heads and plain mullions, possibly all the heads, certainly two of them, 14th-century, mullions, etc., modern. Piscinae: In chancel—in range with sedilia (see Plate, p. 39), two cinque-foiled recesses and quatrefoil tracery in an ogee arch under square head, spandrels carved with shields, arch carried on round shafts with moulded capitals and bases, at back of recesses similar cinque-foiled heads and capitals, without shafts, sill half-way up each recess, round basin in E. recess, c. 1330, partly restored. In N. chapel (see Plate, p. 39)—with septfoiled ogee head, and label with modern stops and finial; jambs and head moulded and enriched with ball-flower ornament, no basin, c. 1330. In tower—in S.E. corner, octofoiled recess, no basin, c. 1330, half hidden by modern case for weights of clock. In nave—at E. end of S. wall, recess, probably for piscina, consisting of the external stonework of a 13th-century lancet window, re-set inside out. Royal Arms: In nave—over N. doorway, Stuart arms, carved in wood, painted and gilded. Sedilia: In chancel— two, in range with piscina, having trefoiled ogee arches under square heads with shields in the spandrels, arches carried on round shafts with moulded capitals and bases, at back of each seat similar trefoiled arch, and shafts with capitals attached to those in front, the western seat lower than the other, c. 1330. Stoup: In nave—in S. wall, with rough trefoiled two-centred head, and projecting sill, traces of basin, probably 15th-century. Tiles: In N. chapel—on ledge of E. window, about thirtysix, each 4 inches square, some in fragments, almost all glazed, with yellow pattern on red ground, one inscribed "Ricard' me Fecit", others, in sets of four, various designs, four having each a shield charged with a fesse between six crosslets for Beauchamp, others with a fretty and fleur de lis pattern, etc., late 14th or early 15th-century; two smaller tiles with flower designs, 14th-century or earlier date. Miscellanea: In nave—at W. end, table, small, with turned legs, plain top, possibly 17th-century. On S. buttress, between chancel and nave—sundial, scratched on stone.
Condition—Good; except the lower part of the walls of the tower, in which are cracks, apparently recent, owing to weak foundations.
a(2). Homestead Moat and Fish-ponds, W. of the church. The moat is said to enclose the site of the old Manor House.
These buildings are all of the 17th century, and all, except one, are of two storeys, with walls of timber and brick; the cottages have been partly re-faced with modern brick; the roofs are thatched.
Main road, W. side
a(3–4). Cottages, two, adjoining, 100 yards N. of the church. They form an L-shaped building, and each has a central chimney stack. Interior:— On the ground floor are open timber ceilings.
b(5). Cottage, 200 yards S.E. of the church. A modern addition has been made at the E. end.
b(6). House, 160 yards S. of (5), is of two storeys and an attic. The walls are of thin bricks in Flemish bond, with black headers. The roofs are tiled. The plan was originally rectangular, but modern additions have made it of half-H shape.
b(7). Cottage, opposite to (6). The plan was originally rectangular, but a modern addition has made it L-shaped. Interior:—In the ceilings are old beams.
b(8). The Swan Inn, 200 yards S.E. of the church. The central chimney stack is original. A modern addition has been made at the E. end. Interior:— The ceilings have old beams.