An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
48 HAYDON (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VI, S.W. (b)XII, N.W.)
Haydon is a small parish 2½ m. E.S.E. of Sherborne.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Catharine stands on the N. side of the parish. It was entirely rebuilt in 1883, to the N. of the old site. The new building incorporates a number of old features. The partly restored 13th-century E. window is of three grouped lancet-lights with a trefoiled rear-arch; in the N. wall of the nave is a 13th-century lancet window with the W. splay cut away for a staircase to the former rood-loft; in the S. wall are two partly restored 13th-century lancet-windows.
Fittings—Bell: one, dated 1669. Churchyard Cross: In old churchyard—shaft on two steps, probably mediæval, covered with ivy. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In old churchyard—to Henry Grenger (?), 16 . ., table-tomb. Floor-slabs: In nave —(1) to Thomas French, vicar, 1635; (2) to Sarah his wife, 1648, broken; (3) to Thomas, their son, 1650; (4) to Samuel Thornton, vicar, 1711; (5) to William Game, 1653–4. Piscina: In chancel—quatre-foiled drain, mediæval, rest modern. Plate: includes a paten of 1715, a cup and another paten both of 1734. Seating: In nave—sixteen pews mostly with reeded and carved bench-ends, 17th-century, made up with modern work; pulpit, reading-desk and stalls incorporate similar enriched panels. Miscellanea: In chancel —slab with round piercing, date uncertain.
b(2) Cottage, on the W. side of the road 250 yards S. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century.