An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
70 OBORNE (E.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. VI, S.W.)
Oborne is a small parish 2 m. N.E. of Sherborne. The remains of St. Cuthbert's church are in the parish of Castleton.
(1) Barn, in the S.W. angle of the parish, is a rubble structure of one storey and of seven bays with two porches. It was built probably in the 16th century and retains many of its two-stage buttresses. The original roof has curved braces below the collars, forming two-centred arches, and curved wind-braces.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
(2) House, on the E. side of the road 500 yards N. of the main road, has been largely rebuilt but retains an original stone window of four lights with a label.
(3) Cottage, 110 yards E. of the modern church.
(4) Cottage, 60 yards N. of (3), was built early in the 16th century but it was rebuilt in the 18th century, except for the middle room. This retains its original moulded ceiling-beams.
(5) Grange Farm, house 180 yards N.E. of the modern church, retains some original stone windows of three and four lights on the S. front. Inside the building is an original muntin and plank partition.
(6) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (5), has been extended and partly rebuilt in the 18th century; the initials and date I.N. 1756 appear below the E. chimney-stack.
(7) Schoolhouse, the old parsonage, 60 yards E. of the modern church, retains some original but partly restored stone-mullioned windows on the E. front. The actual school-room is of one storey.
Over Compton, see Compton, Over.