An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
84 STOCKWOOD (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXI, N.E.)
Stockwood is a small parish 7 m. S.W. of Sherborne.
(1) Parish Church of St. Edwold stands at the S. end of the parish. The walls are of local rubble with freestone dressings and the roofs are covered with stone slates and blue slates. The church, consisting of Chancel and Nave, was built or rebuilt in the 15th century. The West Porch was added in 1636; at the same time the bell-turret was added. The N. wall is largely modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave (29¼ ft. by 12¾ ft.) are structurally undivided. The early to mid 15th-century E. window is of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a label and returned stops. In the N. wall is a window of two trefoiled lights now completely restored. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of early 15th-century date and of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a modern rear-arch; the western window is of 16th-century date and of three four-centred lights in a square head with a label. In the W. wall is a 15th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. On the gable is an early 17th-century bell-turret; it has four short columns supporting a round stone dome with a cornice, ball-terminal and pinnacles over the columns.
The West Porch has an outer archway with moulded jambs and rounded arch, plain imposts and a shaped key-block; above it is a panel inscribed "W.P. 1636".
Fittings—Coffin-stools: two with turned legs, 17th-century. Piscina: Reset in S. wall, externally, plain round drain, mediæval.
(2) Stockwood Farm, 30 yards S. of the church, has walls of ashlar and brick. It was built in the 17th century and remodelled about the middle of the 18th century. The W. front is of brick in Flemish bond with quoins and a flat string at first floor level. The doorway has a moulded architrave and cornice and there are moulded architraves to the windows.
(3) Manor Farm, house 600 yards N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the second half of the 17th century. The E. front has been little altered and has its original stone-mullioned windows of two and three lights; those of the lower range have a continuous label.
(4) Bragg's Farm, house over ½ m. N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 16th century and one room has original moulded ceiling-beams forming six panels.
(5) Cottage, ½ m. W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century and retains an original moulded ceiling-beam.