An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 2, South east. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
REPORT to The Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
May it Please Your Majesty
We, the undersigned Commissioners, appointed to make an Inventory of the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, excluding Monmouthshire, from the earliest times to the year 1714, and such further Monuments and Constructions subsequent to that year as may seem in our discretion to be worthy of mention therein, and to specify those which seem most worthy of preservation, do humbly submit to Your Majesty the following Report, being the twenty-fourth Report on the work of the Commission since its first appointment.
2. With regret we have to record the retirement from the Commission upon expiry of term of office of Professor Stuart Piggott, Doctor of Letters, Fellow of the British Academy, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and of Christopher Edward Clive Hussey, Esquire, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, Honorary Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and the resignation because of other obligations of Sir Nikolaus Pevsner, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, Fellow of the British Academy, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
3. We have to thank Your Majesty for the appointment to the Commission of Professor Richard John Copland Atkinson, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and Arthur Stanley Oswald, Esquire, and the reappointment of Henry Clifford Darby, Esquire, Officer of the Order of the British Empire, Doctor of Letters, Fellow of the British Academy, under Your Majesty's Royal Sign Manual dated 2nd April 1968.
4. We have pleasure in reporting the completion of our recording of the Monuments in the south-eastern part of the County of Dorset, an area including fifty-three parishes containing 3,584 monuments. The significance of these figures appears when compared with previous Inventories; comparison by averages, inadequate though it is, demonstrates the order of disparity. The average number of monuments in each parish calculated over the whole series of earlier County Inventories is 14.33. The average in south-east Dorset is 67.62. The great difference is due in large measure to the wealth of monuments dating from before 1850 surveyed in the two mediaeval towns of Dorchester and Poole and in Weymouth. It should be added that of the 405 surveyed in Poole more than half have now been destroyed.
5. Following our usual practice we have prepared a full illustrated Inventory of the monuments in south-east Dorset, which will be issued as Dorset II in three separately bound parts as a non-Parliamentary publication. As in the Inventory of west Cambridgeshire accompanying the twenty-third Report, the Commissioners have adopted the terminal date 1850 for the monuments included in the Inventory.
6. The methods adopted in previous Inventories of describing post-Roman buildings and mediaeval and later earthworks etc. have been adhered to in general, but in south-east Dorset as in west Cambridgeshire rather more attention has been paid to topography and to the form and development of the man-made landscape in which the monuments are set. It is hoped that the short introductory notes to each parish may suggest the visual attributes and indicate the history of settlement of the area. The accounts of the post-Roman monuments are contained in Parts 1 and 2 of the Inventory.
7. The methods adopted of presenting earthworks of prehistoric and Romano-British periods, other Roman remains, undated earthworks and ancient fields depart from precedent. All such monuments are described, not in the parish inventories in Parts 1 and 2, but in Part 3, where they are arranged by categories. Their very great number in south-east Dorset provides the opportunity to adopt this presentation, which facilitates direct comparison of monuments of like kind. The inventory of each category has an introduction in which are discussed distribution, dating and structure, with references, where appropriate, to cultural affinities and social implications. Thereafter the individual monuments are described or tabulated.
8. Relevant proofs of the Inventory of south-east Dorset have been referred to the incumbents of churches and to many owners of houses, and we are satisfied that no significant standing monument dating from between earliest times and the year 1850 has been omitted.
9. Our special thanks are due to incumbents and churchwardens and to owners and occupiers who have allowed access by our staff to the monuments in their charge. We are indebted to the Directors and Curators of many institutions for their ready assistance to us, and particularly to those of the Dorset County Museum in Dorchester, the late Lieut.-Col. C. D. Drew, D.S.O., O.B.E., F.S.A., and Mr. R. N. R. Peers, the Institute of Archaeology in London and the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, to Miss M. Holmes of the Dorset County Record Office who has helped us over many points of detail, and to Hunting Aero-surveys and Aerofilms Ltd. for help in furthering our work of recording earthworks by air photography. We wish to record once again our gratitude to Dr. J. K. S. St. Joseph, Director in Aerial Photography in the University of Cambridge, for many air photographs taken specially for us. The reproduction of early plans and drawings in the Inventory, or of drawings based thereon, has been made possible through the kind co-operation of Mr. H. J. R. Bankes of Kingston Lacy and Lt.-Colonel H. E. Scott of Encombe, and the Weld Estate has readily allowed us access to like material in its charge. The map of Brownsea Island is reproduced from the Hatfield drawings. We are grateful to Professor K. H. Jackson for his essential collaboration in the preparation of our account of the outstanding early Christian inscriptions at Wareham; to Commander R. H. C. F. Frampton, R.N. (ret.), who allowed us to use the informative Frampton diaries; to Major J. C. Mansel for transcripts of building accounts; to Mr. S. A. Hamilton Fletcher and Mr. S. A. Walford, who, respectively, lent us their original measured drawings of Encombe and the Congregational Chapel, Skinner Street, Poole, as a basis for our published record, and to Mr. P. Ferriday for allowing us to consult his index of 19th-century church builders. For information used in the prehistoric and Roman part of the Inventory we are indebted to Mr. J. B. Calkin, M.A., F.S.A., and Mr. C. J. Green.
10. We are very aware of the outsize of the south-east Dorset Inventory. The historical reasons for this are explained in the Chairman's Preface to the book. Future policy for smaller and thus lower-priced Inventories has however already been agreed between us, of which our Roman York (1962) and Cambridgeshire I (1968), begun and completed since Dorset II was begun, are token.
11. We humbly recommend to Your Majesty's notice the following Monuments in south-east Dorset as 'most worthy of preservation':
(1) Parish Church of St. Lawrence, dating from c. 1200, with late 15th-century tower; mid 16th-century pulpit, and bench ends dated 1545.
(1) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, dating from c. 1050, enlarged in the 12th century, partly rebuilt in the 15th, and west tower added c. 1500; nave roof c. 1500; 16th-century tombs.
(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew, mediaeval, but largely rebuilt in the 17th century and later; Savage Pew c. 1680 with painted heraldic decoration.
(1) Parish Church of St. Peter, built c. 1325 on cruciform plan, enlarged c. 1840; monument of 1572.
(1) Parish Church of St. Hubert, mediaeval, with 1841 addition indicative of focus of contemporary worship.
(1) Parish Church of All Saints, of the mid 19th century, with tower and spire; 17th-century monument and royal arms.
(3) Parish Church of St. Peter, a closely-dated building of the 15th century, largely unaltered, with west tower and notable monuments.
(4) Parish Church of St. George, Fordington, 15th-century west tower; sculptured door-head of c. 1100.
(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew, for the late 15th-century west tower.
(2) Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, a centrally planned building of 1786–7, with notable fittings.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, begun c. 1200, with rebuilding closely dated to c. 1500, containing a remarkable brass indent.
(2) Parish Church of St. Mary, Charborough, of 1775, almost completely remodelled in 1837, with extraordinary miscellany of fittings.
(1) Parish Church of SS. Magnus and Nicholas, built in 1776 in the Gothic style, with a notable wall-monument.
(1) Parish Church of St. James, built in 1819–20 in the Gothic style, with timber columns.
(6) Parish Church, Canford Magna, dating from c. 1050 and greatly enlarged in c. 1200.
(8) Congregational Chapel, Skinner Street, built in 1777, with some later alterations.
(1) Parish Church of St. Peter, dating from the late 12th century, with a 13th-century west tower, heightened c. 1500, and arcades of c. 1500.
(1) Church of St. George, Reforne, built 1754–66, retaining an early 19th-century congregational arrangement unaltered.
(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew, largely a 17th-century rebuilding, with several fittings of that period.
(2) Chapel of St. John, Creech Grange, mainly for the reset Romanesque archway to the chancel.
(1) Parish Church of St. Nicholas, built shortly before the Conquest and architecturally elaborated in the mid 12th century.
Wareham Lady St. Mary
(1) Parish Church of Lady St. Mary, with mediaeval chancel, chapels, west tower etc., the rest rebuilt in 1841–42, containing important early Christian inscriptions, a 12th-century lead font and notable monuments.
(2) Church of St. Martin, dating largely from the mid 11th century.
(3) Church of the Holy Trinity, one of the few mainly 14th-century churches in S.E. Dorset, but chiefly for its position in the plan of the mediaeval town.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, a rebuilding of 1815–17, with a reredos painting by Sir James Thornhill.
(369) Parish Church of All Saints, Wyke Regis, a closely dated building of the mid 15th century, surviving structurally almost unaltered.
(1) Parish Church, dating probably from the 12th century, with later mediaeval alterations and a 16th-century west tower; containing pre-Conquest carved stones and traces of wall paintings.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, a small mediaeval building, containing an 18th-century gallery.
(1) Parish Church of St. Peter, for monuments and fittings.
(1) Parish Church of St. Michael, with considerable remains of an 11th-century pre-Conquest nave and a sculptured stone of the same period.
(3) Bindon Abbey, fragmentary remains of a Cistercian monastery established on this site in 1172, of which the ground plan has been mostly ascertained.
(1) Parish Church of St. Nicholas, largely of c. 1100, incorporating reused Romanesque architectural features.
(2) St. Aldhelm's Chapel, a small building of the late 12th century, possibly serving as a sea mark, and the surrounding earthworks.
(2) Hurst Bridges, two documented structures of 1834; a third, similar, is in Moreton parish.
(4) House, cruck-trussed building of the late 15th century.
(3) The Grange, a late 16th-century house, altered and enlarged later.
(2) Barnston Farm, a late 13th-century house improved in the mid 16th century.
(22) Whiteway Farm, house and farm buildings dating from c. 1600 and later.
North Lodges, see Lulworth, E. (3).
(5) Town House, a special-purpose building of the late 18th century.
(10) Corfe Castle, one of the most notable castles in England, dating from the 11th century, completed by the late 13th century. Ruined by slighting in 1646.
(11) Encombe, a great country house dating from 1734–70, probably with a mid 17th-century nucleus. Early 19th-century stables and rock bridge; 'Eldon Seat' and obelisk, both of 1835.
(38) Morton's House, of c. 1600, E-shaped on plan.
(80) House, in East Street, built in the late 15th century, altered in c. 1600.
(126) Scoles Farm, an early 17th-century house with adjacent remains of a house of c. 1300.
(2) Court House, surviving wing of a late 16th-century house, with original enriched plaster ceilings.
(9) Shire Hall, built in 1797, retaining the Crown Court little altered.
(11) Town Pump, rusticated obelisk of 1784.
(19) Napper's Mite, almshouses built in 1616, partly rebuilt 1842, now in commercial use.
(25) South Lodge, a mid 18th-century house, refronted in the early 19th century, containing original decorative plasterwork.
(40) 'King's Arms' Hotel, for the street front with a central bow window, all of the 19th century.
(49), (50) 'Judge Jeffreys' Lodging' and adjoining House, both of the early 17th century though partly reconstructed, being examples, rare in Dorset, of timber-framing.
(58) House, No. 23, 23a High Street, for the street front of 1735 heightened in c. 1820.
(66) Savernake House, of the first half of the 18th century, with a small street front of large architectural pretension.
(93) 'Antelope' Hotel, of c. 1600 in origin, for the unusual 19th-century street front.
(96) No. 10 South Street, for the late 18th-century street front.
(135) Houses, in West Walks Road, comprising a small residential development of c. 1830.
(4) Smedmore House, begun in the 17th century but distinguished for two later fronts, of the early 18th century and 1761 respectively.
(6) Wilkswood Farm, comprising two houses and farm buildings grouped round one farmyard, dating from the early 17th century.
(3) Lulworth Castle, a romantic building, begun in c. 1608 and evocative of earlier pageantry, now ruinous. North Lodges and park walls and towers of 1785 (in Coombe Keynes parish).
(3) Charborough House, with a Commonwealth nucleus, extended in the 18th century and the whole remodelled in c. 1810 and extended again in the mid 19th century; the great stairhall with walls and ceiling painted by Sir James Thornhill; the Armoury with elaborate 'Gothic' decoration. Peacock Lodge and, in Sturminster Marshall parish, East Almer Lodge, Lion Gate and Stag Gate, mid 19th-century ancillary buildings.
(3) Bridge, see Affpuddle (2) above.
(5) Moreton House, built in 1742–44.
(6) Obelisk, built in 1785–86.
(2) Moigne Court, incorporating much of a late 13th-century house.
(14) Guildhall, built in 1761.
(16) Harbour Office, built in 1822.
(17) Town Cellars, a barn-like building of the 15th century, with its original roof.
(18) Custom House, an early replacement in like style of the late 18th-century building burnt down in 1813.
(26) Scaplen's Court, a house of c. 1500 early extended to enclose a courtyard.
(29) Merly House, built in 1752–60, containing much rococo plasterwork.
(30) Canford Manor, a large 19th-century house, mainly for the great 15th-century kitchen wing.
(78) No. 9 Church Street, of c. 1700, retaining original fittings.
(99) Nos. 12, 14 High Street, a late 16th-century house, much altered, but one of the few in Dorset incorporating timber-framing of a formal kind; with decorative plasterwork.
(117) No. 100 High Street, of the mid 18th century, for the street front.
(144) Beech Hurst, High Street, a mansion house of 1798.
(203) Sir Peter Thompson's House, Market Street, built between 1746 and 1749.
(210) No. 20 Market Street, a mid 18th-century mansion house.
(272) 'King Charles' Inn, Thames Street, built in the late 16th century.
(276) The Mansion House, Thames Street, built c. 1800.
(300) West End House, West Street, a mid 18th-century mansion house.
(308) No. 32 West Street, a mansion house of c. 1730.
(330) Old Rectory, Hamworthy, a mid 17th-century brick house, mainly for the stylar front.
(8) Waddon Manor, particularly for the work of c. 1700.
(6) Portland Castle, a Tudor fortress in use by 1540, a part of Henry VIII's coastal defence system.
(7) Rufus Castle, a defensible tower and seaward lookout, in present form mainly late 15th-century, ruinous.
(8) Pennsylvania Castle, a castellated house built in 1800.
(28) No. 4 Fortunes well, a small early 18th-century house.
(3) Poxwell House, begun c. 1600 but not completed. Brick-built detached Gatehouse dated 1634.
(5) Stafford House, mainly of 1633, with additions of 1848–50 in the 17th-century style.
(6) Manor Farm, a house of the 17th century, remodelled between 1702 and 1718 and again in part later, very similar on plan to the following.
(7) Glebe Court, a house of the early 17th century, largely rebuilt or refaced in 1767.
(4) Creech Grange, a 16th-century house enlarged and altered in 1738–41, and in part further remodelled in 1846–47 in a careful imitation of the 16th-century style. Grange Arch, a landscape feature, probably of c. 1740.
(4) Woolbridge Manor, a house of the early 17th century altered and refronted in brick c. 1660; an early example of brickwork in Dorset.
(3) Brownsea Castle, for the nucleus consisting of much of a Tudor coastal fort of 1547–48.
(4) White Mill Bridge, probably of the 16th century, much repaired.
East Almer Lodge, Lion Gate, Stag Gate, see Morden (3).
(4) Town Hall, for the rebuilt street front from the Mercers' Hall, London, of c. 1680.
(12) Godlingston Manor, a house of c. 1300, altered and extended in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Wareham Lady St. Mary
(9) Almshouses, in East Street, of 1741, for the brick front.
(12) Manor House, South Street, built in 1712.
(2) Warmwell House, built in the first half of the 17th century, with an unusual plan.
(8) Sandsfoot Castle, built probably in 1541, one of the forts of Henry VIII's coastal defence system, ruinous.
(9) King's Statue, with standing figure of George III in Coade stone, 1809.
(10) Guildhall, built in 1836–37.
(17) Belfield House, a villa of c. 1780, with original and early 19th-century fittings, little altered.
(84) Nos. 2, 3 Trinity Street, built as an architectural unity in the late 16th century, but probably always two tenements.
(87) The Old Rooms, in Trinity Street, dating from the late 16th century.
(229) Devonshire Buildings, a terrace of houses built in the early 19th century and little altered.
(230) Pulteney Buildings, a terrace of houses built in the early 19th century and little altered.
(240) York Buildings, a terrace of houses built c. 1785, altered but still distinguished.
(241) Johnstone Row and (242) Statue House etc., early 19th-century terrace houses, altered but still of distinction, (242) being an example of visual compositional town planning.
(251–2) Gloucester Hotel, for the incorporation of Gloucester Lodge of c. 1780; Nos. 1–4 Gloucester Row, terrace houses of c. 1790, used originally as an annexe to the Lodge when the royal family was in residence; all much altered and now mainly historically significant.
(253) Nos. 7–13 Gloucester Row, terrace houses of c. 1790.
(266) Royal Crescent, a terrace of houses of c. 1800.
(268) Belvidere, a terrace of houses in building from c. 1820 to c. 1855.
(270) Waterloo Place, a terrace of houses of c. 1835.
(271) Brunswick Terrace, a terrace of houses of c. 1825.
(300) House, formerly Nottington Spa, built in 1830 to contain baths, a pump room, etc.
(325) Radipole Old Manor, mainly of the late 16th century, with the original plan plainly discernible.
(339) Westbrook House, of c. 1620 in origin but partly rebuilt in c. 1730 and enlarged subsequently; with original plasterwork.
(341) Upwey Mill, a water mill of 1802 with original machinery.
(3) Came House, a Palladian building of 1754–62, with interior decorations and fittings of the period. The Conservatory, of c. 1840.
(4) Came Rectory, a cottage orné of the first half of the 19th century.
(1) Herringston, a large country house, built in the 14th century, partly rebuilt between c. 1569 and 1617, in part demolished and in part remodelled early in the 19th century, with notable plasterwork and panelling of 1616–17.
(2) Woodsford Castle, the greater part surviving of a fortified house, still inhabited, for which licence to crenellate was granted in 1335.
(6) Wool Bridge, probably of the 16th century, with subsequent repairs and some modern rebuilding.
(7) 'Bindon Abbey' House and Gatehouse, built between 1794 and 1798, and
(43) Water Gardens, adjacent to (7), probably largely late 18th century.
N.B. Small houses or cottages of a vernacular kind are being destroyed apace, but only two appear in the above list. The loss of the evidence of the past conditions of rural life in England which total destruction would cause would be regrettable; visually the loss would be disastrous. There is, however, the difficulty that few of such houses are individually representative since continuous occupation has resulted in continuous change. Analysis of types and features is therefore largely a quantitative matter, but inclusion of many small vernacular buildings not subject to planning controls would reduce the impact of this list, without ensuring the preservation of the bulk of the original evidence. We do, however, draw attention to the need for greater care for our heritage of small vernacular buildings.
Barrow Groups (A-AU), those forming part of the Ridgeway Group (R), being of extra significance on that account.
Ancient Field Group (3): Block (i) Settlement (b) and Block (ii), namely, the fields, enclosures and other remains about Crow Hill and the Valley of Stones, in part extending into W. Dorset.
Ancient Field Group (23), associated with Settlements (221, 222) in Corfe Castle.
(48) Dykes, on Worgret Heath.
(66) Long Barrow, on Bere Down.
(118) Woodbury, hill-fort.
(12) Long Barrow
(76) Chalbury, hill-fort, including earthwork terraces on the east side and (11b) Strip Lynchets immediately adjacent.
(44) Woolsbarrow, hill-fort.
(19) Bank Barrow.
(20) Deserted Mediaeval Village of Holworth.
(58) 'Round Pound', enclosure.
(34) Barrow, oval, on Stonehill Down.
(54) Settlement, prehistoric and Romano-British, on Smedmore Hill.
(176) The 'Rings', ring motte-and-bailey castle.
(181) Long Barrow.
(221, 222) Settlements, prehistoric and Romano-British.
(223) Stone Circle, Rempstone.
Roman Road (II), length on Barrow Hill (SY 994975).
(172) Poundbury, hill-fort.
(182) Roman House, Colliton Park.
(228) Maumbury Rings, henge and amphitheatre.
(40–1) Flower's Barrow, hill-fort, and cross-ridge Dyke.
(53) Bindon, Iron Age dyke/enclosure.
(30) Bulbury, hill-fort.
(29) George III, chalk-cut hill-side figure.
(33) 'Hell Stone', long barrow.
(12) Round Barrow.
(24) Henge, Mount Pleasant.
(50) 'Battery Bank', linear dyke.
(79) Town Defences.
(80) Wareham Castle, motte and remains of bailey.
(436) Dyke, cross-ridge.
(445) Temple (?), Roman Jordan Hill.
(5) Long Barrow.
(57) The 'Nine Stones', stone circle.
(8) Deserted Mediaeval Village of Winterborne Farringdon.
Winterborne St. Martin
(142) Maiden Castle, hill-fort.
(43) see Secular above.
(2) see Ecclesiastical above.
N.B. Destruction of field monuments continues to be rapid and widespread. It is therefore most desirable that all those listed in the illustrated Inventory Dorset II should be preserved both because of the increasing rarity of such monuments and because the extent and impressiveness of the surface remains are not alone indicative of archaeological importance. This last can be revealed only by excavation; therefore destruction should never be allowed without prior archaeological investigation.
Village, dating from mediaeval to modern times, self-contained and built largely in the vernacular style, presenting a homogeneous appearance little spoiled.
Portland (95), Tyneham (9), Winterbourne Steepleton (12), Worth Matravers (29)
Strip Fields, presenting remarkably clear evidence of the pattern of mediaeval and later cultivation.
12. In compiling the foregoing lists our criteria have been architectural or archaeological importance (the latter subject to the reservation expressed in the note to Earthworks above), rarity, not only in the national but in the local field, and the degree of loss to the nation that would result from destruction, always bearing in mind the extent to which the monuments are connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, as required by Your Majesty's Warrant. The lists have thus an entirely scholarly basis. We have not taken into account any attendant circumstances, such as the cost of maintenance, usefulness for present-day purposes, or problems of preservation.
13. We desire to express our acknowledgment of the good work accomplished by our executive staff in the preparation and production of this Inventory, in particular by Messrs. R. W. McDowall, O.B.E., M.A., F.S.A., N. Drinkwater, O.B.E., T.D., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A., H. C. Bowen, M.A., F.S.A., R. A. H. Farrar, M.A., F.S.A., Mrs. V. E. Black, B.A., Messrs. C. F. Stell, M.A., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A., D.J. Bonney, B.A., F.S.A., C. C. Taylor, B.A., F.S.A., and M. Dodd, M.A.; by our illustrators, Messrs. Basil Marriott, L.R.I.B.A., A. L. Pope, A.R.C.A., A.R.E., W. Masiewicz, F.S.I.A., and P. N. Hammond, and by our photographers, Messrs. F. T. Power, W. C. Light, R. E. W. Parsons and C. J. Bassham. We are also grateful for the help given by Mr. S. D. T. Spittle, M.A., A.R.I.B.A., F.S.A., Dr. E. A. Gee, M.A., F.S.A., Messrs. H. G. Ramm, M.A., F.S.A., T. W. French, M.A., F.S.A., J. T. Smith, M.A., F.S.A., Dr. R. M. Butler, M.A., F.S.A., Mrs. M. W. Edmonds, M.A., F.S.A., Messrs. P. J. Fowler, M.A., F.S.A., J. Forde-Johnston, M.A., F.S.A., and R.J. Sherlock, F.S.A. Mr. J. E. Williams, E.R.D., F.S.A., A.R.C.A., copied the Fordington pavement.
14. The preparation of the Inventory of south-east Dorset was interrupted by our decision to give priority to Cambridge City, Roman York and Cambridgeshire I published respectively in 1959, 1962, and 1968. We should, however, wish to record our acknowledgement of the services rendered in the earliest stages of the Dorset undertaking by Mr. G. E. Chambers, F.S.A., and Mr. A. T. Phillips, M.C., F.S.A.
15. We desire to add that our Secretary and General Editor, Mr. A. R. Dufty, V–P.S.A., A.R.I.B.A., has afforded constant assistance to us, Your Commissioners.
16. The next Inventory of the Monuments in Dorset will cover a group of parishes in the centre of the county.
J. W. WELD
C. A. RALEGH RADFORD
J. G. D. CLARK
H. M. COLVIN
D. B. HARDEN
W. A. PANTIN
A. J. TAYLOR
W. F. GRIMES
M. W. BARLEY
S. S. FRERE
R. J. C. ATKINSON
H. C. DARBY
A. S. OSWALD
A. R. DUFTY (Secretary)