An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 1, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1916.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
78. UGLEY. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xiii. S.E. (b)xiv. S.W. (c)xxii. N.E. (d)xxiii. N.W.)
Ugley is a parish and small village, about 6½ m. S. of Saffron Walden.
a (1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands on the N.E. side of the parish. The walls are of flint rubble, except the W. tower, which is of red brick; the dressings, where original, are of clunch; the roofs are covered with tiles. The Nave is probably of the 13th century, but the structural history of the building has been much obscured by restoration. The South Porch was apparently added in the 15th century. Early in the 16th century the West Tower was built. In 1865 the Chancel and South Chapel were rebuilt, and a North Chapel, Vestry and Organ-chamber added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft. by 16 ft.) is modern, but there are some re-used stones in the splays of three of the windows. The chancel-arch is of early 15th-century character, and may be partly old work, re-cut.
The Nave (45½ ft. by 21 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a modern arch opening into the N. chapel, and towards the W. end is a modern lancet window with some re-used stones in the splays. Further E. is the blocked N. doorway, only visible inside, with a pointed and slightly distorted rear arch of uncertain date. In the S. wall is a modern arch opening into the S. chapel, and towards the W. end is a modern window, of which the splays are probably old. Between the windows is the modern S. doorway.
The West Tower (9½ ft. square) is of early 16th-century date, and of three stages, entirely of brick, with diagonal western buttresses, a chamfered plinth, an embattled parapet with modern copings, and a S.E. stair-turret, rising only to the second stage. Below the parapet on the N., S., and W. sides are grotesque stone gargoyles. The tower-arch is splayed and two-centred, and covered with modern cement. The W. doorway is modern, and above it is an early 16th-century window of one four-centred light with a square moulded label. The second stage has, in the N. wall, a window of one four-centred light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a similar but larger window.
The South Porch is modern, except possibly the W. wall, in which is a 15th-century window of one cinquefoiled light with moulded reveals and a square moulded label, all partly re-cut.
The Roof of the nave has four plain trusses with chamfered tie-beams, each supporting two uprights; the boarding is modern.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by Miles Graye, 1624; 3rd by Robert Oldfield, 1612. Brass: In nave—on N. wall, to Richard Stock, 1568, inscription only. Chest: In nave—at W. end, heavily iron-bound, with coved lid, four hasps and one large lock, 16th or early 17th-century. Communion-Table and Rails. Table: with turned and twisted legs, late 17th or early 18th-century. Rails: now in second stage of tower—with moulded rail, panelled standards and turned and twisted balusters, also late 17th or early 18th-century. Niches: In chancel—re-set in E. and W. splays of S.W. window, two, very small and shallow, with trefoiled heads, probably 14th-century. Screen: Now under tower arch—probably former rood-screen, two bays divided by buttresses, now hung as doors, each of two cinquefoiled ogee lights, with moulded upper rail and mullions, early 15th-century, partly restored. Now kept in second stage of tower— other parts of the same screen, including traceried heads and moulded post.
Condition—Good, much rebuilt.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster or weather-boarding; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Most of the buildings are of the 17th century and have original chimney-stacks; some of them have exposed ceiling-beams and wide fireplaces.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a (2). Barn, at Ugley Hall, 30 yards S.E. of the church, is probably of late 16th-century date. It is of eleven bays, with wide aisles, and three entrances on the S. side.
Main Road, N. side
a (3). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 600 yards W.N.W. of the church, built c. 1700.
a (4). Cottage, W. of (3), was built c. 1700.
a (5). Cottage, W. of (4), also built c. 1700.
a (6). Outhouse, W. of (5), is of one storey and was built c. 1700.
a (7). Cottage, on S. side of road, S.W. of (6), is of c. 1700. At the back, the roof is carried down low.
a (8). Parsonage Farm, house, 700 yards S.W. of the church, is of half-H-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the N. It was built probably late in the 16th century, but has been much altered, externally. The original central chimney-stack has attached diagonal pilasters, and stands on a rectangular base with a moulded capping.
Interior—On the ground floor, in the E. room, is an original stone or plaster fireplace with a moulded four-centred opening and square head; in the spandrels are carved thistles or pomegranates. On the first floor two rooms have original fireplaces with chamfered four-centred openings, and a cupboard contains a little re-used original panelling.
a (9). Cottage, opposite the vicarage, 100 yards W. of (8), with one dormer window in front.
a (10). Cottage, two tenements, at the corner of the main road and the turning to the Vicarage, 950 yards S.W. of the church, with a slate roof, and modern additions on three sides.
a (11). Wades Hall, nearly 1 m. W.S.W. of the church, is of mid 16th-century date. It is of half-H-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the N., and two staircases in the angle of the W. wing; the western staircase is probably a 17th-century or later addition. The E. wing is of slightly later date than the main block, as it is a distinct timber-frame abutting against the original house. The original central chimney-stack has four attached octagonal shafts with moulded bases, modern at the top.
Interior—On the ground floor the W. room has a moulded beam with foliated stops, and three walls are covered with late 16th-century panelling. A store-room has a door made up of similar panelling, and, on the first floor, there is another similar door. The first floor has heavy cambered tie-beams, but the roof construction is plain.
a (12). Barn, at Bollington Hall, 450 yards S.S.W. of (11), is of eight bays, with aisles and two gabled entrances on the S. side.
a (13). Cottage, on the N. side of the road to Ugley Green, 1 m. S. of the church.
c (14). Cottage, now private house, on the W. side of the road, 230 yards S.S.E. of (13), has been recently restored and a porch added in front. The timber-framing has been exposed.
d (15). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, S. of the Green, and 370 yards E. by N. of (14), with a low modern addition at the N.E. end, and a gabled dormer window in front.
b (16). Cottages, two, now three tenements, 70 yards N. of (15).
b (17). Cottage, formerly three tenements, now a private house, on the N. side of the Green, 100 yards N. of (16), has been much enlarged and restored. The timber-framing is exposed, and the original central chimney-stack has three diagonal shafts.
b (18). Farmhouse, S.W. of the Green, and 130 yards S.S.W. of (17), has a wing of later date at the E. end. making the plan T-shaped. The main block has half-hipped gables.
b (19). Cottage, 70 yards W. by S. of (18). Condition—Poor.
d (20). Cottage, now a private house, 170 yards S. of (19), with half-hipped gables. The original central chimney-stack has a square attached pilaster.
d (21). Old Farm, now a private house, 80 yards S.W. of (20), has modern additions on the W. and S. The original central chimney-stack has diagonal attached pilasters.
b (22). Fieldgate Farm, house, about ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church, with half-hipped gables. The original central chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts.
b (23). Barns, at North Hall, N. of the house, and 1 m. N. by E. of the church. The larger of the two barns is of seven bays, and has a short aisle on the E. side.