An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
57. LITTLE PARNDON. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xli. N.W. (b)xli. S.W. (c)l. N.W.)
Little Parndon is a small parish 3 m. W. of Harlow.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin. The Church, which has an apsidal chancel, was entirely re-built in the 19th century. It contains from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Bell: one, said to be by Thomas Bartlett: early 17th-century. Font: Now in grounds of Netteswell Hall—octagonal bowl, with moulded lower edge, 15th-century. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Sir Edward Turnour, 1676, Speaker of the House of Commons and Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and Sarah (Gore), his wife, 1651, marble tablet with fluted pilasters and cartouche of arms; on W. wall, (2) to Anne (Germy), wife of Arthur Turnour, late 17th-century veined marble tablet with cartouche of arms. Panelling: In vestry—dado of late 16th-century panelling. Piscina: In chancel—on octagonal shaft with moulded capital and base and round drain, in recess with moulded and trefoiled ogee head, late 14th-century, re-set, base re-cut. Plate: includes cup probably of 1569, repaired in 1629, and cover-paten of 1569. Table: In vestry— with turned legs and shaped brackets to top rail, late 17th-century.
a(2). 200 yards N.E. of the church.
a(3). At site of Foster's Farm, about ¾ m. W. of Latton Priory.
b(4). Cottage, two tenements, about 1 m. N. of (3), is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century and has an original chimney-stack with attached diagonal pilasters.
b(5). Mounds in the grounds of Parndon Hall, ½ m. S. of the church. The chief mound is about 10 ft. high and of oval form. There are three other mounds further N. from 5 to 6 ft. high.
Condition—Two much denuded, others fairly good.