Pattiswick

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

, 'Pattiswick', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East, (London, 1922) pp. 186-188. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol3/pp186-188 [accessed 27 May 2024].

. "Pattiswick", in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East, (London, 1922) 186-188. British History Online, accessed May 27, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol3/pp186-188.

. "Pattiswick", An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East, (London, 1922). 186-188. British History Online. Web. 27 May 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol3/pp186-188.

In this section

74. PATTISWICK. (A.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxvi. N.W. (b)xxv. S.E. (c)xxvi. S.W.)

Pattiswick is a small parish 2½ m. W.N.W. of Great Coggeshall.

Ecclesiastical

c(1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin (formerly St. Mary Magdalene) stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of plastered flint-rubble, with dressings of limestone and clunch; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built about the middle of the 13th century. Early in the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt. The bell-turret was added probably early in the 15th century. The church was restored in the 19th century, when the North Vestry was rebuilt and the South Porch added.

The Church, Plan

Architectural Description—The Chancel (26½ ft. by 15¾ ft.) has an E. window entirely modern except for the 14th-century splays. In the N. wall is a 14th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; further W. is a modern arch. In the S. wall are two 14th-century windows, each of two pointed lights in a two-centred head; the eastern window has been completely restored externally; between the windows is a much restored 14th-century doorway, with chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. There is no chancelarch.

The North Vestry has in the E. wall a reset 13th-century lancet window, with chamfered and rebated jambs and head. Reset in the N. wall of the modern Organ Chamber is a 14th-century window uniform with those in the S. wall of the chancel and partly restored.

The Nave (48 ft. by 20¼ ft.) has in the N. wall three windows, the easternmost is uniform with that in the organ chamber, but partly restored; the two western windows are modern and between them is the 13th-century N. doorway, with a two-centred arch and a double-chamfered label. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost is modern except for the 14th-century splays and chamfered rear-arch; the second is of the 14th century and of two trefoiled lights with a plain spandrel in a two-centred head; the westernmost window is a mid 13th-century lancet with chamfered and rebated jambs and head; between the two western windows is the 14th-century S. doorway, with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, partly restored. In the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three cinquefoiled lights in a square head, all modern externally.

The Roof of the chancel is probably of the 14th century and of the trussed-rafter type, with moulded and embattled wall-plates. The 14th or early 15th-century roof (Plate, p. xxxvi) of the nave is of trussed-rafter type with two tie-beams; the western tie-beam has an octagonal king-post with moulded capital and base; the wall-plates are moulded. The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave rests on a heavy 15th-century tie-beam with a plain king-post.

Fittings—Bells: three, said to be, 1st by Miles Graye, 1668; 2nd by Miles Graye, 1632. Communion Table: with turned legs and shaped brackets to top rail, early 17th-century. Glass: In chancel—in spandrels of windows in S. wall, jumbled fragments; in nave—in N.E. window and in two eastern S. windows, similar fragments, 15th to 17th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—in E. wall, with moulded jambs, two-centred head and octofoiled drain, 14th-century. In nave—in S. wall, with chamfered jambs, two-centred head and sexfoiled drain, 14th-century. Seating: In nave— at W. end, four pews with moulded top rails and panelled bench-ends, early 16th-century, made up with modern work. Miscellanea: In vestry— broken half of stone mortar, date uncertain.

Condition—Good.

Secular

c(2). Church Farm, house and moat, 500 yards E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th century, and has exposed ceiling-beams.

The Moat surrounds the house.

Condition—Of house, good.

Monuments (3–14).

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.

c(3). Pattiswick Hall, house and barn, 250 yards W. of the church. The House was built late in the 16th century and has a late 17th-century wing on the N.E. side. There are modern additions at the S.E. end and in the angle between the wings. The upper storey projects on the whole of the S.W. front. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams and some 17th-century wall-posts, with moulded heads. The roof of the original block has moulded and wind-braced purlins and shaped collars. The garden has a late 16th-century boundary wall.

The Barn stands N. of the house.

c(4). The Rectory, 480 yards N.E. of the church, was originally of T-shaped plan, with the cross-wing at the W. end. There are various modern additions.

a(5). Woodhouse Farm, house, 1,100 yards N.N.E. of the church.

a(6). Hawkes Cottages, three tenements, 600 yards N.W. of (5). The house is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. The upper storey projects on the N. side of the E. wing. The original central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts.

a(7). Warley Farm, house, 650 yards N.E. of (6).

Condition—Poor.

a(8). Nunty's Farm, house, about ½ m. N.E. of (7), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end. The original chimney-stack has three detached octagonal shafts.

b(9). House, now two tenements, 500 yards N.W. of the church, has an original central chimney-stack with detached octagonal shafts on a square base with a moulded capping.

b(10). Cottage, three tenements, on the N. side of the road at Blackwater Bridge.

b(11). House (Plate, p. 188), S.W. of (10), was built late in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. The upper storey projects on the N. front and at the W. end and has a curved diagonal bracket at the angle. On the S. side of the W. wing is an original chimney-stack with two crow-stepped offsets and three octagonal shafts with moulded bases. Inside the building are two original moulded wall-plates and some old battened doors.

b(12). Cottage, E. of (11). The upper storey projects on the N. front and under it is an original bay window with moulded angle-posts and mullions.

c(13). Whiteshill Farm, house, about ¾ m. E.S.E. of (12), has an original chimney-stack with six octagonal shafts on a rectangular base with a moulded capping.

c(14). Cottage, two tenements, at Stock Street, nearly ½ m. E. of (13), was built probably late in the 16th century. The chimney-stack at the E. end has tabled offsets and the stack at the back has a shaft, cross-shaped on plan.