An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
44. INGRAVE. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxvii. N.E. (b)lxvii. S.E.)
Ingrave is a small parish 2 m. S.E. of Brentwood.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas was entirely re-built on a new site about 1734. The site of the old church is indicated by a depression in the ground S.W. of Ingrave Hall. The new church contains the following:—
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In chancel—(1) (Plate, p. 78) of [Margaret, daughter of Sir Lewis John, wife successively of Sir William Lucy and . . . Wake, 1466], figure of woman in butterfly head-dress, fragment of marginal inscription and four shields-of-arms—(a) a cheveron between three trefoils, for FitzLewes, impaling Montagu and Monthermer quarterly; (b) crusilly three luces, for Lucy impaling FitzLewes; (c) Wake impaling FitzLewes; (d) crusilly a cross, for Goshalm, impaling FitzLewes, indent of inscription and scroll; (2) (Plate, p. 78) of [Sir Richard FitzLewes, 1528, and his four wives (a) Alice (Harleston); (b) unknown; (c) Elizabeth (Sheldon); and (d) Joan (Hornby)], figure of man in plate-armour with tabard of arms, FitzLewes quartering Goshalm, head on crested helm, feet on dog, figures of four wives with pedimental head-dresses and (a), (c) and (d) with heraldic mantles—(a) a leaping goat for Bardwell quartering three roundels for Heath, quarterly for Pagenham, and a bend between two dancetty cotices with an ermine tail on the bend, for Clopton, all impaling FitzLewes; (c) FitzLewes impaling a cross for Sheldon; (d) FitzLewes impaling three bugle-horns for Hornby quartering ermine, indents of two groups of children. Both brasses formerly in the church of West Horndon (now destroyed). Indents: In front of S. doorway—defaced. Communion Table: In vestry— with turned legs, 17th-century. Font: Octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panels, moulded edge and base, early 16th-century. Monument: In front of W. doorway—slab of former altar-tomb.
a(2). Barn and moat, at Ingrave Hall, nearly ¾ m. N. of the church. The Barn was built probably in the 16th century and is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is of six bays, with a roof of queen-post type and a N. porch.
The Moat E. of the barn is well preserved.
Condition—Of barn, good.
a(3). Salmond's Farm, house, 160 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 15th century, with a central Hall and cross-wings at the N. and S. ends. The hall was divided into two storeys probably late in the 16th century, when the central chimney-stack was inserted. The upper storey projects at the W. end of the N. cross-wing and the main chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts. Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed and there are remains of the original roof-construction.