An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
43. HUTTON. (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lix. S.E. (b)lxviii. N.W.)
Hutton is a small parish 2½ m. E.N.E. of Brentwood.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble, with limestone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The church was apparently re-built in the 14th century, when it consisted of a chancel, Nave and N. and S. aisles. The North Porch was added late in the same century, and the timber Bell-turret built in the 15th century. The church was very largely re-built in 1873, the Chancel, Aisles and North and South Chapels being entirely modern.
Architectural Description—The Nave (36 ft. by 12½ ft.) has in the E. wall a 14th-century two-centred chancel-arch of one moulded and one chamfered order; the responds have each three attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The N. and S. arcades are both of the 14th century and are each of three bays with two-centred arches of one moulded and one chamfered order; the columns are of quatre-foiled plan with moulded capitals and bases and the responds have attached half columns; the work has been considerably scraped and repaired. The W. window is modern.
The Bell-turret at the W. end of the nave is of the 15th-century and stands on six oak posts with cross-beams and curved braces.
The North and South Aisles are modern, but have windows incorporating old material. The N. doorway is of late 14th-century date re-set and much restored; it has moulded jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label and one modern and one defaced head-stop.
The North Porch is of late 14th-century date and of timber standing on modern dwarf walls. The three-centred outer archway has a beam over it carved with trefoils. The barge-boards are cusped. The side walls have each four lights with trefoiled ogee and traceried heads; the wall-plates are moulded.
The Roof of the nave is probably of late 14th-century date and is of two bays with moulded wall-plates and king-post trusses. The roofs of the aisles are continued down from the main roof and have moulded wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: five; 2nd by Anthony Bartlet, 1655; 3rd by William Land, 1637. Brasses: In S. chapel—on S. wall (1) of man in plate-armour and woman in pedimental head-dress, groups of eight sons and eight daughters, c. 1525; on W. wall (2) to George White, 1584, inscription only. Monument: In S. aisle—on W. wall, to Thomas Cory, 1656, prothonotary of the Court of Common Pleas, also to Judith (Clitherow), his wife, 1663, black and white marble tablet with pediment and shield-of-arms. Piscinae: In N. vestry—in E. wall, with trefoiled head, no drain, probably late 14th-century, re-set. In rectory garden—with cinque-foiled head and broken drain, late 14th-century. Plate: includes cover-paten of 1567, and stand-paten, probably of 1648, with the arms of Cory. Recess: In S. aisle—in S. wall, small square-headed recess.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Hutton Hall, N.W. of the church.
b(3). House, on S. side of road, 700 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century and has an original coved eaves-cornice of plaster and a central chimney-stack also original.
a(4). Crush's Farm, house, ¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 16th century and has a cross-wing at the N. end. The upper storey projects at both ends of the cross-wing, but the projection at the W. end has been under-built. Inside the building the original ceiling-beams and joists are exposed and the cross-wing has an original cambered tie-beam with curved braces.