An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
61. NORTH FAMBRIDGE. (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxii. S.W.)
North Fambridge is a parish on the left bank of the Crouch, 6½ m. S. of Maldon.
(1). Parish Church of Holy Trinity stands near the middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built in the first half of the 18th century in red brick, with round-headed windows. It contains from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Brasses: (1) of William Osborne, 1590, and Annes (Walker) his wife, figures of man and woman, with head missing, eight sons and eight daughters; (2) to Ann, wife of above, 1607, inscription only. Font: octagonal bowl, faces carved with roses or shields, 15th-century; square base with socket for four angle-shafts, probably late 12th-century.
(2). North Fambridge Hall, E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th century with cross-wings at the E. and W. ends, but has been very extensively altered.