An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
62. NORTH OCKENDON. (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxxv. S.W. (b)lxxv. S.E.)
North Ockendon is a parish 5½ m. S.E. of Romford. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene stands about the middle of the parish. The walls are of ragstone and flint-rubble with dressings of Reigate stone; the roofs are tiled. The Nave and Chancel are probably of c. 1170, the W. bay of the N. arcade being of the same date or shortly after. About 1240 the North Aisle and the three E. bays of the N. arcade were built or re-built; the aisle may have been again re-built late in the 14th century. About 1300 the North Chapel with its arcade was built. Early in the 15th century the E. bay of the N. arcade, and later in the same century the chancel arch, were re-built and the West Tower added. The church has been drastically restored in modern times, when the North Vestry and South Porch were added.
The S. doorway is a curious example of 12th-century work, and among the fittings the Poyntz monuments and the stained glass are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22¼ ft. by 13 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is an arcade of c. 1300 and of two bays with segmental-pointed arches of two chamfered orders, probably re-built subsequently; the column is of quatre-foiled plan with a moulded capital carved with vine and oak ornament, etc., and a moulded base; the E. respond has an attached shaft with a moulded base and capital carved with oak ornament; the W. respond has an attached half-column, but without carving; it was probably re-built when the chancel was altered. In the S. wall are two modern windows. The late 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The North Chapel (22 ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window, modern except for some stones in the splays. In the N. wall is a modern doorway.
The Nave (41¼ ft. by 18 ft.) has a N. arcade of four bays; the three eastern bays are of c. 1240 with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the easternmost bay was re-built in the 15th century and the first column is of this date; it is octagonal and has a moulded capital and base; the second column is of the 13th century and cylindrical with moulded capital and hold-water base; the W. respond of the third bay has an attached half-column of the same date; further W. is a -late 12th-century arch, two-centred and of one plain chamfered order. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost and westernmost are modern; the middle window is of mid 15th-century date, restored externally and of three trefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head; further W. is the late 12th-century S. doorway with a round arch, very much stilted, of three orders, the innermost moulded and the outer two carved with cheveron and billet-ornament respectively; the jambs are of four orders, one of which has a round shaft with scalloped or foliated capital and much restored bases with spurs; the abaci are moulded and continued round the three outer orders; the inner order has a later segmental-pointed arch supporting the plain tympanum.
The North Aisle (11¼ ft. wide) has in the N. wall a window all modern except the splays and rear-arch, which are probably of late 14th-century date; further W. is the N. doorway, with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders with a moulded label; it contains much modern stonework, but is probably of late 14th-century date. In the W. wall is a window all modern except the late 14th-century splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (13 ft. by 11½ ft.) is of late 15th-century date and of three stages with an embattled parapet (Plate, pp. xxxii–iii). The two-centred tower-arch is of two hollow-chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label. The N., S. and W. walls of the second stage have each a window of one four-centred light. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label, that of the N. window being of brick.
The Roof of the N. chapel is of the 15th century and of trussed-rafter type with one tie-beam. The late 15th-century roof of the nave is of four bays with plain king-post trusses. The roof of the N. aisle is of similar date and construction to that of the nave.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th by Miles Graye, 1621; 3rd by Philip Wightman, 1695. Brasses and Indents—Brasses: In N. chapel—on S. wall (1) (Plate, p. 25) of Thomasyn (Ardall) wife of Roger Badby and widow of Robert Latham, 15, figure of woman in pedimental head-dress, three shields-of-arms—(a) a chief indented charged with three roundels and a border gobony ermine and ... a molet for difference for Lathom; (b) Lathom impaling argent a cheveron between three stars for Ardall; (c) Lathom without the difference; (2) (Plate, p. 25) of William Poyntz (date not shown) and Elizabeth (Shaa) his wife, 1502, figures of man in armour and wife, groups of six sons and six daughters and three shields-of-arms all—barry of eight in chief a molet for Poyntz impaling a cheveron between three lozenges ermine for Shaa; (3) to John Poyntz, 1547, inscription and four shields-of-arms, two Poyntz and two Poyntz impaling gyronny four martlets counter-coloured for Sibles. Indents: In N. chapel—said to be covered by seating, (1) to William Baudwin, 1316, marginal inscription in separate capitals; positron uncertain, perhaps lost, (2) to Johan Bauchon, 1323, (3) various broken fragments. Chest: In N. aisle—with moulded styles and panelled lid, inlaid front with initials and date W.P., M.P., 1557. Glass: In N. chapel —in E. window (Plate, p. 104), figure of St. Mary Magdalene with pot in hand, 15th-century, much repaired; figure of crowned female saint (Plate, pp. xliv–v), with staff-cross and book (probably St. Helen), late 13th-century; three elaborate tabernacled niches with spired canopies and crocketed gables, early 14th-century, fragments including leopards' heads, etc., the whole partly repaired and made up with modern glass. In W. window of tower—seven 14th-century shields-of-arms, Clare, Warenne, England, Old France, Poyntz (Plate, pp. xliv–v), Bohun of Hereford, and Beauchamp (Plate, pp. xliv–v), also an achievement of the quartered arms of Poyntz, dated 1603 (Plate, pp. xliv–v), and some portions of borders. Monuments and Floor-slabs.—Monuments: In N. chapel —beginning on the N. wall and continuing along the E. wall are a series of eight small monuments (Plate, p. 110) erected by Gabriel Poyntz in 1606 to himself, his son and his six direct ancestors, each monument consists of a kneeling figure of a man in armour and his wife, in a recess, flanked by pilasters of various designs and supporting a cornice with achievement and two shields-of-arms, a curious attempt has been made to make the costumes of the ancestors archaeologically correct; the following are thus commemorated (1) Thomas Pointz, 1597, and Jane (Pybrian) his wife; (2) Gabriel Pointz and Audrey (Cutts) his wife, erected 1606; (3) Thomas Pointz, 1562, and Ann (van Calva) his wife; (4) John Poinz, elder brother of (3) and Anne (Sibles) his wife; (5) William Poinz, temp. Henry VII, and Elizabeth (Shaw) his wife; (6) John Poinz, temp. Henry VI, and Matilda (Pertte) his wife; (7) John Pointz, temp. Henry IV, and Allionora (Dancote) his wife; (8) Pointz Fitz Pointz, temp. Edward III, and Allionora (Bawdin) his wife. The other monuments are as follows—On N. wall of N. chapel (Plate, p. 110), (9) of Catherine (Pointz) wife of John Maurice, early 17th-century, alabaster and marble wall-monument with kneeling figure of man in armour and wife, side-pilasters, entablature and achievement-of-arms; (10) of Sir James Poyntz, alias Morice, 1623, and Richard his son, 1643, alabaster and marble wall-monument with kneeling figures of two men, one in armour, Corinthian side-columns, entablature and achievement-of-arms; (11) of Sir Thomas Poyntz, alias Littleton, Bart., 1709, white marble monument (Plate, p. 100) with bust, composite side-columns, segmental pediment, cherubs and an achievement-of-arms; (12) to Audrey Poyntz, 1594, wooden panel painted with strap-work and gilt; (13) of Sir Gabriel Poyntz, 1607, and Audrey (Cutts) his wife, 1594, marble altar-tomb (Plate, p. 100) with recumbent effigies (Plate, p. 101) of man in armour and wife, panelledmarble backing against wall with achievement and six shields-of-arms and above it a large oak canopy in the form of a tester with cornice and five pendants, soffit painted with clouds, sun, moon and stars. In churchyard—S. side (14) to John Cowland, Sarah his wife, Susannah Cowland and John Cowland, erected by Sarah Cowland, 1712, low table-tomb; (15) to Matthias Fox, 1714, head-stone; (16) to Matthias Fox, 1700, headstone. Floor-slabs: In N. Chapel—(1) to Sir Thomas Poyntz, alias Littleton, Bart., 1709–10; (2) to Anne, widow of above (1), 1714. Piscina: In chancel—with moulded jambs and double two-centred head, corbelled back in the middle, late 13th-century. Plate (Plate, p. xliv): includes cup and cover-paten of 1561, cup of 1646, dated 1643, and stand-paten of the same date. Pulpit: (Plate, p. 4) hexagonal of three stages, top stage panelled and carved with flowers and foliage, middle stage with irregular panelling, mid 17th-century, bottom stage modern. Staircase: to first floor of tower—with solid treads and chamfered runners, 15th-century.
b(2). North Ockendon Hall, house, outbuilding and moat S. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics and cellars; the walls are of brick; the roofs are tiled. The L-shaped block at the W. end is of the 16th century, but the upper part of its S. wing was re-built c. 1700. The E. block is modern. Inside the building the cellar has an original moulded ceiling-beam and a wide open fireplace. There is some early 17th-century panelling in the attics.
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is of the 16th century and has brick walls. The E. wall has two original windows with chamfered jambs and four-centred heads and some black brick diapering. Inside the building are chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing. The adjoining garden has 16th-century boundary walls containing arched recesses.
The Moat formerly enclosed a large area, but the N. and W. arms have been partly filled in.
Condition—Of house, fairly good, but some bad cracks in W. wing.
a(3). Baldwins, house and moat, 1¼ m. S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are covered with slates. It was built in the 16th century. The central chimney-stack has an early 17th-century base. Inside the building the ceiling-beams are exposed.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—of house, good.
a(4). Stubbers, house, outbuilding, barn, and fish-pond nearly 1 m. W. of the church. The House is of three storeys; the walls are partly of plastered timber-framing and partly of brick; the roofs are tiled. The E. and W. walls incorporate some late 16th-century brickwork, but the house was otherwise almost entirely re-built in the 18th century, and there is a modern block in the S. side. Inside the building are some early 17th-century doors and panelling. The E. staircase is of c. 1700 with turned balusters and square newels; the W. stair-case is of similar date and has heavy twisted balusters and square newels with turned tops and pendants.
The Outbuilding adjoins the house on the S.E. and is of late 17th-century date; the walls are of brick. Inside the building are some original panelled doors and exposed ceiling-beams. The Barn is of the 16th century, of five bays, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roof is of five bays and is thatched. N.E. of the house is a large fish-pond.
Condition—Of house, good.
b(5). House and smithy 600 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 15th century with cross-wings at the E. and W. ends; the W. cross-wing has been destroyed. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and the E. wing has an original king-post roof-truss.
b(6). House, two tenements and Post Office 100 yards N. of (5), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th century with a cross-wing at the E. end. There is a 17th-century extension at the W. end, possibly on the side of an earlier cross-wing. The chimney-stack has early 17th-century diagonal shafts on a rectangular base with a moulded capping. Inside the building some of the timber-work is exposed, and in the cross-wing is an original cambered tie-beam with curved braces.