An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
48 MARSTOW (E.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)LI, N.W., (b)LI, S.W., (c)LIV, N.W.)
Marstow is a parish on the right bank of the Wye, 4 m. S.W. of Ross.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Martin stood on the S. edge of the parish, and was pulled down in 1855, a new church of St. Matthew being built nearly ¾ m. to the N.E. On the site of the old church are the following:—
Fittings—Floor-slabs: (1) to Thomas Phillpots, 1689, Thomas his son, 1695, and Jane his wife, 1705, with shield-of-arms; (2) to Richard Phillpots, 1708, and others later.
In the modern church and churchyard—Bells: two, inaccessible. Churchyard Cross: part of shaft on square base and two octagonal steps, probably 15th-century, shaft later. Font: plain octagonal bowl with chamfered edges, mediæval, repaired, stem modern.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of stone, and the roofs are covered with slates or tiles. Some of the buildings have old chimneystacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(2). New Court, house and outbuilding, 700 yards S.S.W. of the new church. The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics; it is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S. end. There are some stone windows to the basement. Inside the building is a late 17th-century well-staircase (Plate 63), with moulded strings, turned balusters and square newels with turned pendants.
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is of three storeys and has an external staircase and queen-post roof-trusses.
c(3). Cottage, 550 yards W.S.W. of (2).
b(4). Trehandy House, nearly 1 m. W. of the new church, is of three storeys with cellars and of L-shaped plan. The W. side has several original windows of two to four lights with stone mullions and square heads with moulded labels.
b(5). Stephouse Farm, house nearly ½ m. N.E. of the new church, has a crow-stepped gable at the E. end.
b(6). Ashe Farm, house 1 m. N. of the new church, of two storeys with cellars and attics, was largely re-built c. 1700. On the S. side is a semi-circular staircase with brick walls and a stone newel with a shaped top.
b(7). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 600 yards N.N.W. of (6), has an 18th-century S. wing.
b(8). Thorn House, nearly 1¼ m. N.N.W. of the new church, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N. end. Inside the building, the staircase has original turned balusters.
b(9). The Perks, cottage 800 yards N.N.E. of (8), is partly timber-framed with brick nogging.
a(10). Little Daffaluke, house 600 yards N. of (9), is partly timber-framed with brick nogging. It was built probably early in the 16th century, but the E. part was re-built in the 17th century. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.