An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
69 WELSH BICKNOR (E.e.).
(O.S. 6 in. LIV, N.E.)
Welsh Bicknor is a parish on the right bank of the River Wye at the extreme S. end of the county.
(1). Parish Church of St. Margaret, stands in the eastern half of the parish on the right bank of the River Wye. It was entirely re-built in 1858 but retains the following:—
Fittings—Bells: two, without inscriptions, possibly mediæval. Churchyard Cross: octagonal to square base with shaped stops and small niche with ogee head in N. face, mediæval, plinth and shaft modern. Monuments: In S. transept—re-set in recess in E. wall, (1) recumbent effigy (Plate 48) of lady wearing barbe and coif head-dress, undergarment with tight-fitting sleeves and long loose gown caught up by her right hand, left hand holds ribbon or strap hanging from the shoulders, head with defaced features, resting on cushion supported by two mutilated angels, and at feet a small animal, probably a dog, late 13th or early 14th-century. The effigy is now set on a coffin-lid carved with a circular foliated cross and of the same period. In churchyard—W. of tower; (2) to James Tayor, 1674, headstone with shaped top carved with fleurs-de-lis; (3) to George Davis, date obliterated, late 17th-century headstone with scroll-top; (4) to William Mills, 1712, headstone with double ogee shaped top; (5) to John Mylls, 1678, headstone with pedimental top enclosing fleur-de-lis; on N. side of path leading to W. porch; (6) headstone with obliterated inscription, late 17th-century; (7) to Elizabeth, wife of John Kemble, 1712, altar-tomb with chamfered top and plain sides. Plate: Includes Elizabethan cup (Plate 57) and cover-paten both without date-letters, but with the date (?) 1576 inscribed on the top of the latter. Miscellanea: In churchyard—circular bowl, perhaps of a font with shallow sinking and of rough workmanship, date uncertain. Within bowl broken piscina, of 'cushion' shape with square sinking, mediæval.
(2). The Old Rectory, house, immediately S.E. of the church, is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with modern slate. The house is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. The E. wing is of c. 1600, but the W. end of the N. wing was added late in the 17th century. To this wing a modern porch has been added and the interior has been almost entirely remodelled. In the N. wall of the E. wing is a blocked doorway with a chamfered head. In the E. wall of this wing is a blocked two-light transomed window, and adjoining it is a small one-light, square-headed window which is also original. Inside the building on the ground floor are some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(3). Courtfield, house, 550 yards E.S.E. of the church, is of three storeys. The walls are of local rubble and ashlar; the roofs are covered with modern slates. The E. part of the main block is probably of late 16th or early 17th-century date, but has been almost entirely hidden by modern work. Inside the building is an original staircase with flat, shaped and pierced balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. In the ceilings on the ground floor are some plain square beams.
Condition—Good, but almost entirely modernised.