An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
45 LLANWARNE (D.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLV, S.E., (b)XLVI, N.W.)
Llanwarne is a parish and village 7 m. S. of Hereford and 6½ m. W.N.W. of Ross. The ruined church is the principal monument.
a(1) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist (Plates 175, 176) stands on the E. side of the parish. The walls are of sandstone rubble with dressings and ashlar of the same material; the roof of the N. chapel is covered with stone slates; the rest of the building is roofless. The Chancel and Nave with a N. chapel and S. aisle were built in the 13th century. About the middle of the 14th century the South Aisle was re-built. The West Tower was added late in the 14th or in the 15th century, and in the 16th century the E. part of the chancel was re-built. The North Chapel was re-built at some uncertain period. The South Porch was added early in the 17th century. The modern Christ Church was built on another site in 1864 and the old church was suffered to become ruinous.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25½ ft. by 17½ ft.) has a re-set late 13th-century E. window formerly of two pointed lights in a two-centred head with a 16th-century moulded label and stops. The N. wall is of two dates marked by a break near the middle, the E. part is perhaps a 16th-century rebuilding or refacing of the 13th-century structure. There is a corresponding break in the S. wall, which contains two windows, the eastern of doubtful date, but retaining only the opening with a round head; the western window is of late 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights with flowing tracery in a two-centred head; farther E. is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. There is now no chancel-arch, but one formerly existed E. of the nave-arcade.
The Nave (48¾ ft. by 16 ft.) has in the N. wall a 13th-century arch, two-centred and of two-chamfered orders; the responds have each a half-round attached shaft with moulded capital and buried base; farther W. are three windows, the two eastern of c. 1300 and of two-pointed lights in a two-centred head; the westernmost window is probably of the 13th century, but the mullion has gone and the head is modern. The 13th-century S. arcade is of four bays with rounded arches of two-chamfered orders; the columns are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal, with moulded capitals and buried bases.
The North Chapel (13¾ ft. by 8¼ ft.) is of uncertain date and has, in the E. wall, a window of one pointed light. In the N. wall is a re-set window of c. 1300 and of two-pointed lights in a two-centred head.
The South Aisle (14¾ ft. wide) is of mid 14th-century date and has an E. window of three trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head. In the S. wall are three windows each of two lights but otherwise similar to the window just described; the early 17th-century S. doorway has an elliptical head with brackets in the form of Ionic capitals; on the arch are remains of an inscription " . . . . [fad]eth—soe doth Man's 1 . . . . . . the [h]ouse of God." In the W. wall is a window uniform with those in the S. wall; N. of it is the N. splay and springing of a 13th-century window.
The West Tower (8¼ ft. by 10 ft.) is of late 14th or 15th-century date and of three stages, with a moulded plinth and an embattled parapet. The ground stage has, in the E. wall, a doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window, now converted into a modern doorway. In the W. wall is a square-headed window. The second stage has in the S. and W. walls a window of one pointed light. The bell-chamber has in the E. wall a window of one trefoiled light; the other three walls have each a window of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head.
The South Porch is of early 17th-century date and has an outer archway with moulded jambs and round head.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st: mediæval with inscription in Lombardic capitals: "Missi de celis habeo nomen Gabrielis," cracked; 3rd: by Abraham Rudhall, 1713, broken; 4th: dated 1637. Brass: At rectory— to William Jones, 1598 and Mary, wife of Edward Jones, 1608–9, inscription-plate with skull and crossbones, from Monument (1) in church. Churchyardcross: S. of chancel, square base with broach-stops and ogee-headed niche in W. face, part of octagonal stem with broach-stops, probably 14th-century. Coffin-lids: In N. chapel—re-set as sill of E. window, part of slab with enriched cross; re-set as sill of S.E. window in S. aisle, part of slab with incised cross; re-set as sill of E. window of S. aisle, part of slab with stem of cross; set in wall behind sun-dial on S. porch, part of slab with cross in relief; in S. and W. walls of S. aisle, slabs re-used in masonry, all 13th or early 14th-century. Door: In S. doorway—of two folds, with moulded panels and strap-hinges, 17th-century. Monuments: In S. aisle—on S. wall, (1) stone tablet (Plate 55) with Ionic side-columns, moulded shelf and entablature and, in middle, four large cartouches, three with shields-of-arms and fourth now blank, 1608–9; see Brass. In churchyard—S.E. of S. porch—(2) to Thomas Richard (?), 1703, head-stone; S. of S. porch, (3) to Elizabeth (?), wife of James Bennett, probably early 18th-century, head-stone; (4) to Rebecca Roo...., 1691, head-stone; W. of S. porch; (5) to Edward Callow (?), 1704, head-stone; W. of lych-gate, (6) to John Roberts, 1707, head-stone; in angle of churchyard, W. of lych-gate; (7) to Anney, daughter of George Roberts, 1711, head-stone. Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered two-centred head and square drain, 13th-century, re-set.
The Lych-gate: on the S. side of the churchyard, is timber-framed and stands on a stone base. It is probably of the 15th century and has curved braces to the tie-beams and side-plates; the roof is hipped and has a saddle at the top.
In the modern Christ Church are the following:—
Fittings—Chest: In nave—with panelled front and ends, former with conventional foliage-enrichment, mid 17th-century. Font: hemispherical bowl with moulded edge and crude acanthus foliage, cylindrical stem with drapery-swags, moulded base, 17th-century. Glass: In nave—in two S. windows, collection of panels, etc., of 16th-century Flemish or German glass, unless otherwise stated. In first window, (a) the return of the Prodigal Son; (b) the Crucifixion; (c) Lazarus and Dives (?); (d) Justice; (e) achievement-of-arms; (f) and (g) figure-subjects with king on throne, probably Ahasuerus and Esther; (h) the Good Samaritan; (i) harvesting scene; (j) achievement-of-arms, 17th-century; (k) genre scene; (l) similar to (c); (m) Tobit and the fish (?). In second window, (a) man kneeling at prayer-desk, St. Andrew in front, early 17th-century; (b) figure-subject with battle in background; (c) St. Giles (?); (d) lozenge-of-arms; (e) St. George and the dragon; (f) the Nativity; (g) St. Lawrence and figure of a donor; (h) Pilate washing his hands; (i) St. Martin dividing his cloak with a beggar; (j) Adoration of the shepherds; (k) Saint with book and axe (St. Matthew ?); (l) shield-of-arms; (m) pilgrim and angel; (n) St. Jerome.
Condition—Of old church, ruinous.
a(2) Upper Monkton (Plate 20), house about 1½ m. S.W. of St. John's church, is of three storeys; the walls are of stone-rubble and timber-framing with brick nogging; the roof is covered with stone slates. The main block with the projecting porch was built early in the 17th century; the S.W. addition was built later in the same century; the S.E. addition is modern. The N.E. front has exposed timber-framing. The Porchwing is supported on two circular columns of stone with moulded caps and much weathered bases; the gabled superstructure is two storeys high; at the N.W. end is a four-light window with moulded jambs and square head. The N.W. wall is of stone-rubble and has two similar three-light windows. Inside the building there is some exposed timber-framing and stop-chamfered ceiling-beams; the staircase is of stone and the roof is of queen-post type.
a(3) Lower Monkton, house and barn, about ¼ m. N. of (2). The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of local sandstone-rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles. The middle block probably dates from the 16th century, but has been modernised. The E. and W. wings were added in the 17th century and there is a modern addition at the N. end of the E. wing. This end of the E. wing has some exposed timber-framing. Inside the building there are some chamfered ceiling-beams.
The Barn is of 17th-century date. The walls are of stone-rubble pierced with loops, and with large doorways in the N. and S. walls. The roof is of queen-post type covered with modern slates.
b(4) Blewhenstone, house, about 2 m. N.E. of St. John's church, is of two storeys; the walls are of plastered timber-framing and brick nogging and the roofs are covered with tiles. It was built in the 17th century and has modern additions on the N. and E. sides. The external walls have exposed timber-framing and the N. and S. ends are weather-boarded. Inside the building there are stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing.
Condition—Bad; S. end ruinous.