An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
60 NORTON (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIV, S.E., (b)XXI, N.E.)
Norton is a township N.E. of Bromyard.
b(1). Middle Norton, house, ½ m. E. of Saltmarshe Castle, is of two storeys with cellars. The walls are of rubble, brick and timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century but the S.E. wing is a rather later addition. The S. front was re-faced in brick early in the 18th century, except the S.E. wing which has exposed framing. Inside the building are some 17th-century moulded or chamfered ceiling-beams and wall-posts with shaped tops.
a(2). Cockalay, house, 720 yards N.E. of (1), is of two storeys with cellars and attics. The walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century and has a later extension on the W. The upper storey has exposed timber-framing and there are two original windows in the rubble lower storey with moulded frames, mullions and transoms. The cellar has a window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and on the first floor is some 17th-century panelling.