Linton By Bromyard

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

'Linton By Bromyard ', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp118-119 [accessed 21 July 2024].

'Linton By Bromyard ', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online, accessed July 21, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp118-119.

"Linton By Bromyard ". An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. (London, 1932), , British History Online. Web. 21 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp118-119.

In this section

49 LINTON BY BROMYARD (D.b.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXI, N.E., (b)XXI, S.E.)

Linton is a parish adjoining Bromyard on the E.

Secular

b(1). Linton Brook House, house, 1,500 yards W. of Linley Green, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. It was built c. 1600 on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. and with a staircase-wing in the angle. In the N. wall is an original atticwindow of four lights with moulded mullions. The main chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster-strips on the four faces. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams; the original staircase has symmetrically turned buttresses to the lower part and flat shaped balusters above; the square newels have moulded terminals. The S. room on the first floor has an early 17th-century plaster ceiling with moulded panels.

Condition—Fairly good.

Monuments (2–14)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or slate-covered. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good.

b(2). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 50 yards N. of the fork at Linley Green.

b(3). Hareley Farm, house, on the W. side of the road 100 yards N. of (2), has an 18th-century S. wing making the plan L-shaped. The chimney-stack has the date 1764.

b(4). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 50 yards N.E. of (3).

b(5). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, about ¼ m. S. of Linley Green.

b(6). Yearsett Court, on the S. side of the road, ¾ m. E. of Linley Green, is of two storeys with cellars and attics. The N. gable has ornamental timber-framing. The first-floor windows have projecting moulded sills with central moulded brackets.

b(7). Coldharbour, cottage on the S. side of the road, ½ m. N.E. of Linley Green.

b(8). Hainscroft, house, at the road-fork 100 yards W. of (7), is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S.

b(9). Nuttage Farm, house, 500 yards W.N.W. of (8), is of two storeys with cellars and attics. It was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century, but only the ground floor of the block at the N. end of the W. range remains. The rest of the W. range was re-built in the 17th century, and there are modern additions on the S. and E. The original part of the house has close-set timber-framing. On the W. front is an early 17th-century window of six lights with moulded frame and mullions.

b(10). Cottage, two tenements, 350 yards N.W. of (9) and ¾ m. N. of Linley Green.

a(11). Cottage, 70 yards N.N.E. of (10).

a(12). Bringsty Post Office, on the S. side of the road, 1,500 yards N. of Linley Green, has a rather later N.E. block, making the plan square. There are three gables on the N. front.

a(13). Live and Let Live Inn, 1 m. N.N.E. of Linley Green.

a(14). Cottage, 100 yards N. of (13).