An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
50 LINTON BY ROSS (D.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVII, S.W., (b)XLVII, S.E., (c)LII, N.W., (d)Ln, N.E.)
Linton is a parish 4 m. E. of Ross. The church is the principal monument.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material and some tufa; the tower and spire are faced with ashlar; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The earliest part of the building is the W. end of the N. wall of the Nave, which is of the 12th century; a string-course on the N. face and the remains of a window high up in the wall suggest that it may have formed part of a former W. tower. The North Aisle was added and the N. arcade built late in the 12th century. In the second half of the 13th century the South Aisle and arcade were built, the North Porch added, and the Chancel re-built and probably lengthened. The West Tower was added late in the 14th century and the S. aisle lengthened by one bay towards the W. The upper part of the N. wall and arches of the nave were re-built at some uncertain date. The church was restored in 1875 and the spire repaired in 1904 and 1913.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28 ft. by 13½ ft.) has a modern E. wall and window. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of c. 1330 and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head and a modern mullion; the western window is of the 13th century and of one plain pointed light. In the S. wall are two late 13th-century windows, the eastern partly restored and of two trefoiled lights in a two-centred head and with soffit-cusping; the western window is of two trefoiled lights, also with soffitcusping and partly restored; between the windows is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. The 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two continuous chamfered orders; above it are two windows each of a single pointed light and now blocked.
The Nape (47¼ ft. by 14¼ ft.) has short lengths of the original E. quoins visible above the chancel-roof. In the N. wall is an arcade of three bays with plain round arches, the eastern probably modern and the other two of uncertain date; the first pier is rectangular with a moulded impost and chamfered abacus on the W, side only, indicating that the E. arch is a cutting through the deep respond; the late 12th-century second pier is cylindrical and has a moulded base, scalloped capital and a chamfered abacus; the W. respond has an impost and abacus similar to that of the first pier. The thick western part of the wall has, on the N. face, a 12th-century string course with cheveron-ornament, it terminates, towards the E., below a quoined angle, probably of the suggested early tower; above the string and visible on the S. face are the splays of a blocked window and below it three shaped corbels. In the S. wall is an arcade of three bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the cylindrical columns have moulded capitals and bases; the E. respond has an attached half-column and the W. respond is of the same section as the arch, with a moulded impost; the two eastern bays are of mid to late 13th-century date and the westernmost bay is of late 14th-century date, the junction being indicated by a straight joint over the E. haunch of the W. arch.
The North Aisle (8 ft. wide, average) has, in the N. wall, three windows, the easternmost of late 13th-century date and similar to the S.E. window in the chancel; the middle window is a completely restored lancet and the westernmost window is modern; the 13th-century N. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is a 13th-century window of one lancetlight.
The South Aisle (7 ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, three windows, the easternmost is of the 14th century and of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the other two windows are modern; between the two western windows is the moulded W. jamb and the springing of the head of a former re-set 12th-century S. doorway; high up in the wall is the jamb of a former window, one of a series inserted in the 16th or 17th century and removed at the restoration.
The West Tower (13¼ ft. by 12½ ft.) is of late 14th-century date and of three stages with a moulded plinth and plain parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of three chamfered orders; the moulded responds have attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the W. doorway is modern externally but the splays are original and have holes for a draw-bar; the much restored W. window is of three lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label with one defaced head-stop with a mitre. The ground stage has a stone vault (Plate 89) with chamfered ridge, diagonal, wall and subsidiary ribs, a central bell-way and carved foliations at the intersections; the vault springs from corbels carved with a crouching figure holding a cudgel, a hooded man, a grotesque mask and a beast's head. The second stage has, in the N. and W. walls, a window of one cinque-foiled light in a square head. The bell-chamber has, in the E. wall, a window of two trefoiled lights with flowing blind tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the N. and S. walls have each a similar window but of two trefoiled ogee lights with vertical blind tracery; the window in the W. wall has open flowing tracery. The octagonal stone spire has moulded ribs at the angles and rises from within the parapet.
The North Porch is probably of the 13th century and has an outer archway with jambs and two-centred arch of one chamfered order.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 13th or 14th century, partly restored and of the braced collar-beam type with a central purlin under the collars. The roof of the nave is of the same date and of trussed-rafter type; it has four tie-beams. The roofs of the aisles are of pent-type with old rafters. The roof of the N. porch is of collar-beam type.
Fittings—Bell-frame: old; bells 18th-century. Brass: In tower—on S. wall, to Frances (Rudhale), widow of Richard Woodward, 1622–3, inscription only. Churchyard Cross: S.W. of church—square chamfered base on square step, mediæval, shaft modern. Coffin-lids: In chancel—re-used as sill of N.E. window, (1) with remains of cross with foliated ends. In N. aisle— re-used as sill, (2) fragments with remains of plain cross with circles round head. In W. tower—on W. wall, (3) broken slab (Plate 48) with elaborate foliated decoration and cross with foliated ends, in circle, birds in spandrels; (4) fragments with incised cross having circle round head and foot; on floor, (5) two fragments with much defaced head and shoulders of figure in low relief, foliated stem below and moulded and crocketed border. In churchyard—against E. wall, (6) small tapering slab with sunk formy cross; outside S. doorway, (7) with chamfered edge; by S.W. gate, (8) fragment with part of cross; all 13th and early 14th-century. Door: In doorway to turret-staircase of tower—battened door with two strap-hinges, mediæval. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In W. tower—on S. wall, (1) to John Elmehurst, 1662, stone wall-monument, flanked by seated figures of women, cherub-head below and scroll pediment with cherubs above. In churchyard—N. of chancel, (2) to Giles Mason, 1712–3, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (3) to Mary, wife of Giles Milson, 1712–3, headstone with carved and shaped top; (4) to John Prossor, 1712, head-stone; (5) to James Morgan, 1694–5, headstone with carved and shaped top; (6) to Jane, wife of John Weale, 1689, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (7) to Sarah, wife of James Morgan, 1695–6, head-stone with carved and shaped head; N. of N. aisle, (8) to Richard Abrahill, 1671, head-stone with shaped top; (9) to Alice, wife of Richard Bergum, 1691, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (10) to Thomas Cole, 1688–9, head-stone; (11) to Mary, daughter of John Cole, 1700–01, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (12) to Mary, daughter of Nicholas Jacob, 1688–9, head-stone; (13) to Joan, daughter of John Jacob, 1711, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (14) to Mary, wife of Nicholas Jacob, 1688–9, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (15) to William Apperley, 1685, and John Apperley, 1708, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (16) to James Apperley, 1689–90, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (17) to Robert Foster, 1708, head-stone with cherub-head and scrolled top; (18) to John Colier, 1684, panelled head-stone; (19) to Esther, daughter of John Colier, 1689, panelled head-stone; (20) to John Colier [?], 1708, head-stone with shaped top; (21) to George Dobes, 1691–2, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (22) to Mary, wife of George Dobes, 1691–2, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (23) to John Prossor, 1712, head-stone, broken; (24) to Thomas Voice, 1706, and Thomas, his son, 1694, head-stone; (25) to Sarah, wife of James Voice, 1700–01, head-stone; S. of chancel, (26) to Margery Hill, 16 ..., table-tomb; (27) to Thomas Davies, 1708, and Jane, daughter of Thomas Davies, 1714–5, headstone; (28) to John Nourse, 1694, head-stone; (29) to Elizabeth, wife of John Nourse, 1687, head-stone; (30) to Roger Webb, 1684, and Mary, his wife, 1708, head-stone with carved and shaped top; S. of S. aisle, (31) to Elianor, wife of William Morgan, 1697, head-stone; (32) to Thomas Ashman, 1698, headstone with carved and shaped top; (33) to Samuel Turner, 1699, head-stone; (34) to Isabel, wife of Henry Williams, 1700–01, head-stone; (35) to Erasmia, daughter of Thomas How, 1698–9, head-stone with carved and shaped top; (36) to . . ., child of Thomas How, 1698–9, head-stone; (37) to John Teagie, 1698, table-tomb with panelled sides; (38) to Izard, wife of John Teagie, 1700, table-tomb; (39) to Daniel Teagie, 1690, head-stone with carved and shaped top. Floor-slabs: In churchyard—N. of N. aisle, (1) to Moses Ashman, 1689; (2) to Margery, wife of John Cother, 1680; (3) to William Couls . . . ons, 1690; S. of chancel, (4) to Isham, wife of Robert Ayleway, 1696; (5) to Robert Ayleway, 1689; (6) to Elizabeth, wife of John Barnes, 1706, and another later; (7) with two shields-of-arms. Panelling: In vestry—in four heights with fluted enrichment and scrolled band, 17th-century; portion of similar panelling at W. end of S. aisle. Piscinæ: In chancel—in E. splay of S.E. window, with square drain, perhaps late 13th or 14th-century. In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, 14th-century, no drain.
c(2). Eccleswall Castle (Plan, p. xxvi), earthworks at Eccleswall Court, about 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church, have been much destroyed by cart-tracks, farmyards, etc. The flat-topped mound, E. of the modern buildings, has no scarp on the W. side, but there are remains of a ditch on the S. To the E. is a slight terrace and to the N. is a large pond. About 170 yards below the site are a series of three ponds, now dry, formed by cross-banks. In the walls of the garden are some re-used stones, and above the entrance to the pigeonhouse is a label-stop carved as a man's head in a bascinet.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of stone rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates or some modern material. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(3). Priest's House, 35 yards N. of the church, was originally two houses. The western part was built in the 15th century and the eastern c. 1700. Inside the earlier building are portions of three original crutchtrusses and in the later part some battened doors.
c(4). Court House, 65 yards N.W. of the church, was largely re-built late in the 18th century.
c(5). Fording Farm, house and barn, 740 yards W. of the church. The House is partly of two storeys with attics. At the N.E. end is a cider-mill with a room over, approached by an external stone stair.
The Barn, E. of the house, has the side walls pierced by two ranges of loop-lights.
c(6). Cottages, at Shutton, 360 yards N.W. of the church. The S.W. cottage is an addition probably of early 18th-century date.
c(7). Revell's Farm, house, 130 yards N.E. of (6), has walls partly timber-framed. The plan is half H-shaped with the wings extending towards the S.W. and may be of mediæval origin as the central Hall-block is lower than the rest and has an upper floor which appears to have been inserted. The main chimney-stack is of late 16th-century date. Much of the house has been re-fronted in stone and the S. cross-wing has been twice extended. In the gable of this wing is a blocked window of six lights. Inside the building, the early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters and moulded rail.
Condition—Part of S. wing, dilapidated.
a(8). Two Park Farm, house and barn, on the S. side of the road, ½ m. N. of the church. The House is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S.E. and S.W. The S.E. wing is timber-framed and dates probably from late in the 16th century; the other wing was added in the 17th century.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of five bays with aisles and projecting porches.
b(9). Cottage, at the Steelworks, about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church, has timber-framed walls with brick filling.
d(10). Great Woodend Farm, house and outbuildings, ½ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House was probably remodelled in 1710 and there are modern additions on the W. side. The E. front has a number of windows with solid frames and the entrance door has a chamfered frame; near the S. end is a slab with the date and initials 1710, G. and C.B., and a shield-of-arms. Inside the building is a 17th-century panelled door.
The range of Outbuildings, N.E. of the house, consists of a cider-house, stable and barn. There are two old doors and the barn and cider-house have roofs with queen-posts and collars; the roof of the stable has curved braces. The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, is of early 18th-century date and has a re-used moulded lintel over the doorway.
c(11). Lyne House, cottage on the N.E. side of the Line, 400 yards S.E. of the church, was originally two tenements. The N.W. chimney-stack has a panel with the date and initials 1711, G. and C.B., probably indicating a repair. The entrance-doorway has an old frame and plank door.
c(12). Talbot's Barn, about 500 yards S.E. of (11), has two ranges of loop-lights.
c(13). Burton Mill, house, now two tenements, and barn, ¾ m. S. of the church. The House is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N.W. and S.W. and a barn in the angle.
The Barn, N. of the house, has been largely re-built but retains some exposed timber-framing.
c(14). Pinford Farm, house, 520 yards S.S.W. of the church, was built in the 15th century, but has been much remodelled and the N.E. wing added c. 1700, making the plan L-shaped; the original walls are timber-framed, partly plastered and partly exposed. Inside the building part of an original crutch-truss is exposed.
c(15). Eccleswall Farm, house, 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics.
c(16). Whitehouse Cottages, two tenements, on the E. side of the road, 180 yards N. of (15), are partly timber-framed and plastered. The E. part was built early in the 17th century and the W. part is an addition of later in the same century. In the middle of the N. front the upper storey projects and is gabled.
c(17). Earthwork, ¼ m. N.W. of the church, consists of a ditch with an outer bank, some 130 yards long and a slightly scarped platform to the S. The ground slopes away to the N.W., W. and S. Neolithic flint implements and cores have been found in the immediate neighbourhood, in such numbers as to imply the existence of a factory.
Little Cowarne, see Cowarne, Little.
Little Marcle, see Marcle, Little.