An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
62 PENCOMBE (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XX, N.W., (b)XX, S.W., (c)XX, S.E.)
Pencombe with Grendon Warren is a large parish 3 m. W. of Bromyard. Lower Marston is the principal monument.
c(1). Parish Church of St. John, on the E. side of the parish, was entirely re-built in 1864–5. The former church was a 12th-century building with an apsidal chancel. There survive from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st by John Finch, 1658. Chest: plain with moulded lid, three lock-plates, and inscribed T.N., T.L., 1687. Font: In tower—plain octagonal bowl with moulded under-edge, octagonal stem and chamfered base, 15th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 69) of 1571 with engraved ornament round bowl.
c(2). Outbuilding at Grendon Court, 1¼ m. N. of the church, is said to have been formerly a chapel. It is now of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. The building (40 ft. by 20 ft.) shows little or no evidence of its date. There is a partly blocked window-opening in the E. wall and a completely blocked window in the W. wall. In the S. wall is a partly blocked window and farther W. is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The modern inserted floor incorporates a moulded early 16th-century beam.
a(3). Lower Marston, house, about 2½ m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are covered with slate and corrugated iron. The W. wing retains the porch and part of the framing of a late 14th-century building, but was otherwise reconstructed in the 17th century. The main block of the house is modern. The timber-framed porch (Plate 31) is of two storeys on a rubble base. The upper storey has a deep projection and rests on posts with curved braces or brackets. The timber-framing above is exposed and there are two heavy curved braces at the base of the gable. The roof is in two bays with a moulded central principal cut to a double ogee form, tie-beams with curved braces against the end-walls and foiled wind-braces. In the E. part of the old wing is a heavy crutch-truss of 20-ft. span; the blades form a two-centred arch and were tied by a cross-beam now partly cut away; above it is a second cross-beam and a series of struts forming two ranges of foiled openings. Some of the timber-framing with chamfered studs is also of late 14th-century date.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(4). Barns at Court Farm, 50 yards N. of the church, lie W. and N.W. of the house. The first is of rubble and weather-boarded timber-framing and is of 16th and 17th-century date. In the S. wall is a window of six lights with bar mullions set diagonally. The second barn is of three storeys and also dates from the 16th century. The walls are of rubble and in the E. gable is a four-light window with bar-mullions.
c(5). House, on the W. side of the road, 150 yards W.S.W. of the church, has rubble walls.
c(6). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 30 yards S.E. of (5), has been faced with rubble.
c(7). Cottage, 200 yards S.W. of the church, has been heightened in the 18th century.
c(8). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road, about 500 yards W.N.W. of the church.
c(9). Cottage, opposite (8).
c(10). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, about 1 m. S.W. of the church.
b(11). Sparrington Farm, house, over 2 m. W.N.W. of the church, is partly of rubble. The original chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts. There are 18th-century and later buildings at each end.
b(12). Hennerwood Farm, house, about 2½ m. W. of the church, incorporates two old blocks at the N.E. angle, the western perhaps of mediæval origin and the other of the 17th century.
b(13). Maidenhyde Farm, house, 2½ m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics and of irregular plan. The wing projecting to the S. has original moulded barge-boards to the gable. Two chimneystacks have grouped diagonal shafts.
b(14). Nash Farm, house and outbuilding, 1¾ m. N.W. of the church. The House has an original chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts. Inside the building, a room on the ground floor has some original panelling with a fluted frieze.
The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, formerly a cottage, is of three storeys, partly of rubble. The N. gable has some ornamental timber-framing and the window below has a square stone label.
c(15). Lower Hegdon, house, about 1 m. N.W. of the church, is of irregular plan and of two dates in the 17th century and part of the S. block was reconstructed in the 18th century.