An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


'Pixley', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp153-155 [accessed 13 July 2024].

'Pixley', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online, accessed July 13, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp153-155.

"Pixley". An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. (London, 1932), , British History Online. Web. 13 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/heref/vol2/pp153-155.

In this section

64 PIXLEY (D.d.)

(O.S. 6 in. XXXV, S.W.)

Pixley is a small parish 4 m. W.N.W. of Ledbury. The church, with its heavy timber screen, is the principal monument.


(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew (Plate 5) stands on the S. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles. The N.E. angle of the Chancel is partly of large-stone masonry and may belong to an earlier church than the rest of the building. The existing chancel and Nave were built, or partly built, in the 13th century and the bell-turret and South Porch were added in the 14th century. The differing thicknesses of the walls indicate that there were various other re-buildings which it is now impossible to date. The church was restored in 1865, when the N. wall of the chancel was re-built and the bell-turret partly re-built.

The 14th-century screen is interesting.

Architectural Description—The Chancel (17¼ ft. by 13¼ ft.) has, in the E. wall, two 13th-century lancetwindows, modern internally. In the N. wall is a modern window. In the S. wall is a 13th-century window of three pointed lights; farther W. is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. There is no chancel-arch.

The Church, Plan

The Nave (32 ft. by 17 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two modern windows. In the S. wall are two windows each of two square-headed lights, the eastern perhaps of the 17th century and the western perhaps of the 14th century; the 13th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is a two-light square-headed window, set in the opening of an earlier window. The square 14th-century bell-turret stands on two moulded oak posts and a thickening of the W. wall; the posts have cross-beams and modern braces, carrying the superstructure.

The South Porch is of the 14th century and timber-framed. The outer archway is formed by chamfered braces springing from the side-posts; the sides are open with curved braces and modern dwarf walls. The roof-truss, against the N. wall, has a tie-beam and curved braces.

The Roofs of the chancel and nave are ceiled but have 14th-century moulded wall-plates and two tie-beams, one between the nave and chancel and one in the nave.

Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible. Door: In S. doorway—modern but fixed to it, cross-strap (Plate 66) with foliated ends and centre-piece and two curved straps to head with finial and crockets, possibly 13th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded under-side, plain stem and moulded base, possibly 15th-century, entirely re-tooled. Screen (Plate 72): between chancel and nave —of three bays, with heavy moulded posts and solid two-centred head to doorway; side bays with modern boarding to lower part and chamfered posts to upper part (two modern); posts against walls carried up to tie-beam; moulded head-beam and moulded beam carried across church below tie-beam and just E. of screen, 14th-century, 17th-century fascia on part of W. face of head of screen.



(2). Pixley Court, house, outbuildings and moat, S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick with some timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S.E. end. The cross-wing dates from the 16th century but was re-cased in brick in the 18th century; the main block is of mid to late 17th-century date. Some late 17th-century windows remain on the S.W. front and some exposed timber-framing at the N.W. end. Inside the building, the cross-wing has heavy chamfered ceiling-beams and the main block has later beams.

The Stable, etc., adjoining the S.E. end of the house, is of brick and stone and probably of late 17th-century date. The Barn, N. of the house, is timber-framed and also of the 17th century.

The Moat is fragmentary but surrounded the church and probably also the house.

Condition—Of house, good.

(3). Mainstone Court, house and moat, ¾ m. N.W. of the church. The House is of three storeys with cellars; it was largely re-built in stone late in the 18th century but the E. block is probably of 17th-century date, re-cased. Inside the building, the dining-room has exposed ceiling-beams and is lined with original panelling with a frieze carved with dolphins, swans and monsters. The room above is lined with similar panelling but with no frieze. Other rooms have exposed ceiling-beams. Re-set in a garden wall are the head of a trefoiled niche and a moulded corbel of later date.

The Moat, S.E. of the house, is complete, but now has no building on the island.


(4). Court-y-park, house and moat, 1 m. W.N.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed with slate and tile roofs; it has crosswings at the N.E. and S.W. ends. The main block and the S.W. wing are of late 16th or early 17th century date and the N.E. wing was built as a separate cottage later in the 17th century; it is now joined to the main building. Much of the house has been re-faced in brick but some timber-framing is exposed. Inside the building many of the rooms have exposed ceiling-beams and a room on the first floor has plaster mouldings forming panels between the beams and the wall. The original staircase has moulded grip-handrails, flat shaped balusters and square newels with terminals.

A series of ponds appear to indicate the former existence of a moat round the house and the house itself stands on a mound which seems partly artificial.


Monuments (5–12)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.

(5). Cottage, W. of Knapp Farm and ¼ m. E.S.E. of the church, has exposed timber-framing.

(6). Trumpet Inn, S. of the cross-roads and ½ m. N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S.W. and N.W. The timber-framing is exposed.

(7). Mainstone Farm, house, N. of (6), was of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and N. There are extensive modern additions and the S.W. front has been re-faced in stone.

(8). Trumpet Cottage, 100 yards E. of (7), has some exposed timber-framing.


(9). Poolend Farm, house and outbuildings, about ¾ m. W.N.W. of the church. The House is of Z-shaped plan with the cross wings extending towards the S.W. and N.E. There is a large 18th-century addition. Some of the timber-framing is exposed and there are some late 17th-century windows on the N.E. front.

The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of three bays, timber-framed and weather-boarded. Adjoining it on the N.E. is a stable and loft, also timber-framed. The barn, N.E. of the last, is of five bays, timber-framed and partly weather-boarded. The outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is timber-framed and partly of the 17th century with an added range in 18th-century brick.

(10). Outbuilding at Tipsgrove Farm, about 1¼ m. W. of the church, has some exposed timber-framing.


(11). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the church, has exposed timber-framing.

(12). Lynewood, cottage, 700 yards W.S.W. of (11), has exposed timber-framing.