An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
65 PRESTON WYNNE (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXVII, S.W.)
Preston Wynne is a small parish 5½ m. N.E. of Hereford. Court Farm, with its Hall of the 14th century, is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of Holy Trinity was built in 1730. It contains the following ancient:—
Fittings—Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1576.
(2). Court Farm (Plate 23), house, 500 yards N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile and slate-covered. The middle part of the house is the original one-storey Hall of the 14th-century, which was, much later, divided into two storeys. The house no doubt had the usual cross-wings at the N. and S. ends of the Hall, but the S. or solar wing was re-built early in the 17th century and the N. or kitchen wing late in the same century and in continuation of the Hall-block. The external timber-framing is partly exposed and the S.E. chimney-stack has three 17th-century diagonal shafts of brick. Inside the building the 17th-century ceiling-beams are exposed. The original Hall retains its 14th-century roof (Plate 39). The N. wall has original framing with curved braces to the tie-beam and diagonal struts above the collar. E. of this is the screen-truss with two posts or speres carried down to the ground and supporting the collar-beam, heavy curved braces forming a two-centred arch under the collar and diagonal struts above forming foiled openings. The next truss to the W. is of crutch-type with curved principals formerly carried down to the ground but now cut off at the modern first-floor level; above the collar-beam, tying the principals, are diagonal struts forming foiled openings. A fourth truss is largely hidden by later work. The Hall was about 20 ft. wide and 27½ ft. long.
(3). Brick House, on the N. side of the road, 550 yards N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and N. The S. wall has been re-faced in brick but the N. side has exposed framing. The W. chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts; the E. stack is dated 1714. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
(4). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 600 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a slate-covered roof. It was built in the 17th century and has some exposed framing.