An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
95 WOOLHOPE (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXV, S.W., (b)XL, N.E., (c)XL, S.E., (d)XLI, N.W., (e)XLI, S.W.)
Woolhope is a parish and small village 7 m. S.E. of Hereford. The church and Capler Camp are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of St. George stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. The earliest work in the church is of mid 12th-century date and includes part of the Chancel, with a window in the N. wall, and the restored or re-built N. arcade of the Nave. Near the end of the 13th century the West Tower was added, perhaps incorporating the N.W. angle of the earlier nave, now represented by a buttress standing on a splayed base. The South Aisle and arcade were perhaps built c. 1300, but the arcade and much of the aisle are now quite modern. The North Chapel was added c. 1310–20 and the N. arcade of the chancel built, encroaching on the earlier N. arcade of the nave; the North Aisle was re-built and widened at the same time or shortly after. The W. wall of the N. aisle is dated 1736 and may have been re-built at that date. The church has been restored in 1848 and 1883, the S. aisle extended E. and the South Porch added.
The church is of no great architectural interest, but among the fittings the coffin-lids are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (36 ft. by 20¾ ft.) is structurally undivided from the nave. The E. window is modern. In the N. wall is a 12th-century window of one round-headed light, rebated externally; farther W. is an early 14th-century arcade of two bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels on the S. face; the octagonal column and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and chamfered bases. In the S. wall is a modern window incorporating some early 14th-century stones on the outside; farther W. is a modern arcade of two bays.
The North Chapel (14 ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a single 13th-century lancet-light, probably re-set. In the N. wall is a partly restored 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label; farther W. is a modern doorway.
The Nave (32½ ft. by 20¾ ft.) has a N. arcade, originally of the 12th century; the eastern arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; it was re-built early in the 14th-century; the western arch is semi-circular and of two plain orders, partly repaired and perhaps reconstructed; the column and W. respond are modern except the abacus of the column and part of the abacus of the respond which are enriched with cheveron-ornament. The S. arcade is of late 13th-century character but is apparently entirely modern.
The North Aisle (14 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, two windows, the eastern modern except for the mid 14th-century jambs and splays; the western window is of the 14th century, partly restored, and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, with a moulded label. In the W. wall is a single-light window with a modern head; on the wall-face outside is a tablet inscribed: "Ed. Brown Churchwarden 1736."
The South Aisle (12 ft. wide) has a modern E. extension of two bays; in the S. wall of the old part is a partly restored 15th-century window of three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; the late 13th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label and foliage-stops. In the W. wall is a modern window. The aisle has been largely if not entirely re-built.
The West Tower (14½ ft. by 15½ ft.) is of late 13th-century date and of two stages with a modern parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing from short grouped shafts with bell-capitals and foliated or head-corbels; above the arch is a relieving-arch finishing against head-corbels in the angles of the nave walls and probably once supporting a tie-beam. The W. window is of two pointed lights in a two-centred head; high up in the N. and S. walls are windows, both of one plain pointed light, and more or less restored. The bell-chamber has, in the E., N. and S. walls, a single-light window of one light with moulded jambs and pointed head; all have been more or less restored; in the W. wall is a lancet-light with chamfered jambs and head.
The Roof of the chancel has one 15th-century moulded tie-beam. The roof of the N. chapel and aisle is of trussed-rafter type and probably mediæval.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd dated 1649–50; 4th mediæval and inscribed, in crowned Lombardic capitals, "Sancte Johannes hora pro nobis"; 5th dated 1662. Chair (Plate 76): In vestry—with turned legs, shaped arms, panelled back with round arch and foliage, early 17th-century. Churchyard Cross: S. of church, octagonal to square base with cinquefoil-headed recess in W. face, three steps, 14th-century, shaft modern. Coffin-lids: In N. chapel—on N. wall, (1) fragment with cross-stem and foliage in relief, early 14th-century. In S. chapel—on floor, (2) with cross-formy in relief and foliage-sprigs on stem, small crosses between arms of main cross, 13th-century. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (3) remains of double slab (Plate 49) with two Latin crosses in relief and foliage-sprigs, early 14th-century; (4) incomplete tapering slab (Plate 49) with figure of woman in profile, wearing flat cap and chin-strap, pleated garment and cloak, part of quatrefoil above and various objects at side, probably 13th-century; (5) tapering slab with full-face figure of man (Plate 49) in low relief with hands crossed and holding a book; above head, trefoiled ogee canopy with crockets and ball-flower ornament, early 14th-century. Cupboard (Plate 76): In vestry—modern, incorporating 17th-century panelling. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In churchyard—S. of S. chapel, (1) to Jane, wife of Thomas Stallard, 1709, and Thomas Stallard, 1727, head-stone; (2) to Elizabeth Harris, 1701, head-stone. S. of S. aisle—(3) to Jane, wife successively of James Rogers and Richard Duberby, 1708. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) to Mary Powell, 1665; (2) to . . . inlan (?) Warne, 1678; (3) to Margaret, wife of Anthony Barnet, 1662 (?); (4) to Beatrice, wife of John [Spr]att, vicar 1683. In nave—(5) to ... Barrett, 1681, and Mary his wife, 1682, with shield-of-arms. In N. aisle—(6) to John Spratt, vicar, 1681–2; (7) to John Sheriffe, 1710. In S. aisle—(8) to Anthony Buckley, vicar, 1665, and to Sarah, wife of Robert Holmes, 1711–12; (9) to David Powell, ... 8, and Joan his wife, 1701–2. Panelling: In N. chapel— re-set early 17th-century panelling, with strap-work on the frieze-panels. Piscina: In chancel—recess with septfoiled head, probably 14th-century, sill modern. In N. chapel—against E. wall, stone basin or mortar, pierced for drain and with shallow ovals between the lugs, shaft modern. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1670, given by William Gregory the same year, and with coat-of-arms. Seating: In N. chapel—plain heavy oak bench with back rail and arms, 14th or 15th-century. Table: In N. chapel—with turned legs and plain rails, probably early 18th-century. Miscellanea: On modern S. door, iron scutcheon-plate with ornamental piercings and drop handle, 14th or 15th-century. Set on modern shaft near S. doorway, re-cut capital and small mortar. In N. aisle, base of 13th-century jamb-shaft.
The churchyard has, on the S. side, a timber Lych-gate, probably of the 17th century, with open framing in the gables.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Many of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). Stone House and stable, on the S. side of the road, 180 yards S.S.E. of the church. The House is of the 18th century except for the small E. wing, now used for storage.
The Stable, N.E. of the house, has queen-post roof-trusses.
b(3). The Court, house, on the N. side of the road, 320 yards E. of the church, was built early in the 18th century. The walls are of brick with a band-course between the storeys. The windows have solid frames with a mullion and transom.
b(4). Butchers' Arms Inn, on the S.E. side of the road, 600 yards E. of the church.
b(5). Black House, two tenements, 180 yards S.S.E. of (4), has later extensions at the two ends.
d(6). Cottage, on the N. side of the road at Winslow Mill, 1,450 yards E.N.E. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has a corrugated iron roof.
d(7). Cottage, 70 yards S.E. of (6).
d(8). Hoarhouse Farm, house and outbuildings, 1¾ m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is a modern addition to an old N. wing. The Cider-mill and stables, N.E. of the house, are partly weather-boarded. The Barn, E. of the house, is also partly weather-boarded.
d(9). Stables at Priggle's Farm, 250 yards E. of (8), have been heightened at a later date.
d(10). Hazel Court, house, about 2 m. N.E. of the church, has cross-wings at the N.W. and S.E. ends. The timber-framing is in large squares.
a(11). Upper Hazel Farm, house, 250 yards W.N.W. of (10), is an 18th-century building with an old wing at the S. end.
b(12). Park Farm, house and outbuildings, nearly 1½ m. N.N.E. of the church. The House is stone-built and of two storeys with a basement. It dates possibly from late in the 17th century, but is not all of one date. There is an old Cattle-shed, S.E. of the house, and adjoining it an open shed of five bays.
b(13). Canwood, house, 1¼ m. N. of the church, has been altered and perhaps heightened early in the 18th century.
b(14). Suffield, cottage, in the N.W. corner of the parish, 1½ m. N.W. of the church, has a corrugated iron roof.
b(15). Brent Orchards, house and outbuilding, ¾ m. N.E. of the church. The House is a long rectangular range. The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, comprises a cattle-shed, barn, cider and oast-houses.
b(16). Nurdens, house and barn, 300 yards S.S.E. of (15). The House has a thatched roof. The Barn, N.E. of the house, is of four bays.
b(17). Overbury, house and cider-house, 625 yards N.N.W. of the church. The House has modern additions on the N. and W. The Cider-house, N. of the house, is weather-boarded.
b(18). The Leys, house, 1,000 yards W. of the church.
c(19). Cottage, 1,150 yards S.W. of the church, has been mostly re-faced.
c(20). Terrace Hill, house, 100 yards S. of (19), has cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. At the E. end is an original chimney-stack with diagonal nibs on two faces of the shaft.
c(21). Wessington, house, 100 yards S.S.W. of (20), has various modern additions. On the S. side is an original window with moulded oak mullions.
c(22). Lower Buckenhill, house and outbuilding, nearly 1½ m. S.S.W. of the church. The House was built in 1592 and is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N. end. On the N. side is an original moulded window-sill and also a sunk oak panel with the date 1592.
The Outbuilding, S.W. of the house, consists of a barn of three bays and a cider-house.
c(23). Cottage, 20 yards N. of (22), has been largely re-built and re-faced with stone.
c(24). Bird's Farm, house and outbuilding, 50 yards W. of (23). The House is modern except for the E. wing. The Outbuilding, S. of the house, consists of a barn of three bays, a stable and a fowl-house.
c(25). Cottage, 60 yards W. of (24), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
c(26). Building, immediately N. of Gurney's Oak Inn and 1¾ m. S.S.W. of the church, was originally the Inn.
Condition—Ruinous and partly demolished.
c(27). Barn, at Capthorne Farm, nearly 2 m. S.S.W. of the church, is of one storey and of three bays. The roof is covered with corrugated iron.
c(28). Barn, near the entrance to Capler Camp and 2 m. S.W. of the church, is stone-built and of one storey. It was built c. 1700 and is of five bays with ranges of loop-lights.
c(29). Cottage, on the S. edge of the parish, 2 m. S.S.W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
c(30). Yayer Farm, house, nearly 1¼ m. S.E. of the church, was built probably late in the 16th century and is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S.E. end. There is a 17th-century extension towards the N.W.
c(31). Croose Farm, house, nearly ¾ m. S.E. of the church, is of H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The E. wing and part of the main block have been re-faced with brick and stone. Inside the building is a small quantity of original panelling.
e(32). Sapness Farm, house and outbuilding, over 1¼ m. S.E. of the church. The House has later additions at the N. and S. ends. The Outbuilding, S.W. of the house, includes a barn of three bays, stable and cattleshed.
e(33). Hyde House, 1 m. S.E. of the church, has a projecting wing on the N.E. side.
e(34). Cottage, on the W. side of the road at Hooper's Oak, 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W.
d(35). Little Hill Farm, house, two tenements, 1½ m. E. of the church, has an original central chimney-stack, cruciform on plan.
e(36). Capler Camp is a hill-top camp about 2 m. S.W. of the church. The ground falls away on all sides, with a steeper slope on the N. and W. The area, including the defences, is about 15½ acres. The defences on the steep N. and W. sides consist of a scarp, and on the S. side of a double rampart (Plate 1) with slight traces of an outer ditch and bank towards the W. end. With the exception of some slight cutting away of the ramparts on the S. side, which may be modern, the only entrance is at the extreme E. end; here the inner S. rampart terminates in a mound which is covered by a continuation of the N. scarp, here forming a low bank, the entrance lying between the two. Against this bank, recent excavation has uncovered the rubble foundations of what is considered to have been a 17th-century building.
d(37). Lynchets, in a field W. of the cross-roads at Woolhope Cockshoot, nearly 1½ m. N.E. of the church, consist of three terraces about 130 yards long and 18 yards wide.
c(38). Lynchets, in a field 200 yards N.W. of the cross-roads at Lower Buckenhill, consist of five terraces about 100 yards long.