An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
ADDENDA ET CORRIGENDA
Abbey Dore—(2) Parish Church.—The plan of the church opposite p. 4, and showing the excavated portions of the destroyed nave, was unfortunately prepared without including the results of the further excavations made in 1905 by Mr. Roland W. Paul, and of which a plan was published by him in Archæologia Cambrensis (1927), p. 269. These further excavations indicated that the nave had been extended in the 13th century, one bay in advance of the original or, at any rate, the projected W. front. Remains were also found of the Rood-screen with its altar, and of various other ritual arrangements. The accompanying plan indicates the results of these excavations as shown on a plan by Mr. Roland Paul, published in the Builder of September 25th, 1931.
The plan in the 1st volume of the Commission's Inventory should be further amended by the deletion of the word 'Frater' in the range of building W. of the lane and cloister. The monks' frater, as indicated in the text, lay to the N. of the cloister, and the lay-brothers' frater no doubt occupied a more northerly portion of the building called Frater on the plan.
Aconbury—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the 14th century, and is inscribed "Omnes Sancti orate pro nobis."
Cusop—(1) Parish Church.—The Bells are modern.
Dewsall—(1) Parish Church.—The 2nd Bell is of the 14th century.
Ganarew—(1) Parish Church.—Insert Churchyard Cross—S.E. of church, steps only old, shaft, etc., modern.
(3) Manor House, N.W. of the church, a stone-built house of early 17th-century origin, but much altered, and with various additions. The S. chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts.
Goodrich—(17) Queen's Stone, a monolith standing in the bend of the river nearly 1 m. S.W. of the church. The block with the grooves in the strata is of natural formation, but seems to have been placed in its present position by human agency.
Grafton—(1) Upper Bullingham Church.—Insert Bells: two; 1st, mediæval and uninscribed; 2nd, by Clibury of Wellington, 1680.
Harewood—(1) Church.—The larger Bell is said to be of c. 1400, and to be inscribed "Johannis de Coxburgh me fecit."
Hereford—(3) All Saints Church.—The painting on the E. wall has recently been cleaned, and the subject is now clear as part of an Annunciation. The figure of the Virgin kneels at a prayer-desk with a book upon it; at the back and above is a chalice and host apparently set in a custodia. In an upper register, divided from the main subject by a line, is a half figure of God the Father with the Dove on the left side.
(53) Black Lion Inn.—In 1932 some interesting wall-paintings (Plates 186, 187) were found in the middle room on the first floor of this building. From the costumes and decoration they appear to date from the middle or second half of the 16th century, and consist of a series of figure-subjects representing the breaking of the Commandments, with remains of black-letter inscriptions above, and strips of panelled decoration with jewel-ornament between the subjects. The first three Commandments, presumably on the W. partition wall, have been destroyed. On the N. wall appear the following: (a) 4th Commandment. A man breaking the Sabbath day by gathering sticks with the remains of an inscription below referring to "Num[bers XV] 32"; (b) 5th Commandment. Absalom hanging by his hair and being speared by Joab (II Samuel XVIII, 14); partly defaced inscription above; (c) 6th Commandment. Joab slaying Amasa by striking him under the fifth rib (II Samuel XX, 9); inscription above "Thou shalt doe noe Murder. To kills a crying Crime but . . . to slay a frend . . . . As Joab heere Amasa executed . . . nt God's just wrath blood . . . ."; (d) 7th Commandment. The sin of Hophni and Phinehas before the tabernacle (I Samuel II, 22); partly obliterated inscription above referring to Phinehas. On S. wall, at E. end, (e) 9th Commandment. Part of subject only with figures and architecture; perhaps the trial of Susannah; (f) 10th Commandment. King David with a battle in the background probably representing the death of Uriah (II Samuel XI, 17); inscription above referring to Naboth. The paintings have been carefully exposed and the outlines strengthened.
(89a) House on the S.E. side of Commercial Street, 60 yards N. of St. Peter's Church. It is largely of the 18th century but incorporates, at the back, remains of a 15th-century timber hall. This was 18 to 20 ft. wide, and the lower parts of the roof-trusses remain, with moulded main timbers; on the W. side is a length of moulded cornice. At the S. end is the upper part of a framed screen; two panels with trefoil-headed filling remain, a door-head with a moulded frame and a moulded and embattled cornice.
Kilpeck—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the 14th century, and is inscribed "Ave Maria gracia plena."
Longtown—(1) Parish Church, Clodock.—The 3rd Bell of 1624 has been recast.
(2) Longtown Church.—Both Bells are modern.
Marstow—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two, 1st by R. Hendly, 15th-century, and inscribed "Sec. Georgi. ora pro nobis."
Moccas—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two; one is of the 13th century, the other probably mediæval; both are uninscribed.
Rowlstone—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 2nd and 3rd Bells are probably by Isaac Hadley, c. 1700.
Thruxton—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 1st Bell has been recast; the 3rd is by H. Clibury, 1680.
Whitchurch—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: two, uninscribed; 1st, mediæval; 2nd, 17th-century.
Avenbury—(1) Parish Church.—In 1933 this church was closed and many of the fittings removed elsewhere, as follows:—The Bells to St. Andrew by the Wardrobe (City of London), the Communion Table and Screen to the Mission Church at Munderfield Row in the parish of Avenbury, and the Communion Cup to the Museum at Hereford.
Brockhampton (by Ross)—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two, both uninscribed and of c. 1300.
Collington—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the 17th century and uninscribed.
Donnington—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: two; 1st uninscribed; 2nd by J. Martin, 1682.
Edvin Ralph—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two; 1st by John Baker of Hereford, 1587, and the 2nd by J. Green, 1603.
Fownhope—(1) Parish Church.—In the churchyard, N. of the church, is a churchyard-cross with a modern shaft set in a 14th or 15th-century socketstone of square to octagonal form and standing on a square base.
The works of the clock in the church tower are possibly of 17th-century date.
Grendon Bishop—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two; 1st by John Martin, 1690, and the 2nd early 14th-century and uninscribed.
Holmer—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 2nd by J. Greene, 1609.
Kenchester—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: both uninscribed: 1st, 17th-century; 2nd, 14th-century.
Mordiford—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: five, by W. Huntbach of Worcester, 1687.
Pipe and Lyde—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 4th is by R. Hendly.
Pixley—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 1st by J. Martin, 1683.
Putley—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: 2nd cast at Bristol c. 1400 and inscribed "Sancte Michael"; 3rd by J. Finch, 1636.
Sapey, Upper—(1) Parish Church.—Bell: 15th century.
Stanford Bishop—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: both by J. Martin, 1672.
Stretton Sugwas—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 1st by Clibury, 1671.
Wellington—(30) Cottage on the N.E. verge of the parish over 2 m. N. of the church. It is a timber-framed building of late 17th-century date, with a thatched roof.