An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)iv. S.W. (b)viii. N.E.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Faith, stands on high ground about 2 miles S. of the Royston and Baldock road. The walls are of flint and stone, and those of the tower are coated with cement. The church is of the 15th century, the Chancel Nave and West Tower being of earlier date than the Aisles and South Porch; the walls of the chancel and nave possibly contain stones of an earlier building. The church, except the tower, was completely restored in 1870.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft. by 18 ft.) has an E. window, two N. and two S. windows and a S. doorway, all modern; the chancel arch, of two moulded orders, is of the 15th century. The Nave (42 ft. by 18 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of four bays with composite pillars and pointed arches, of c. 1460–80; in the N.E. corner is a stair-turret to the former rood-loft; the lower doorway is blocked but the upper one remains; the clearstorey has modern two-light windows. The North Aisle (9 ft. wide) has an E. window of three lights with tracery, a W. window and two N. windows each of two lights with tracery; all are of late 15th-century date, restored; the N. doorway is original and has a label with defaced headstops. The South Aisle (9 ft. wide) has an E. window and two S. windows with modern tracery of 15th-century character; the inner jambs are probably original, but re-worked; the 15th-century S. doorway has a pointed arch in a square head, and the two-light W. window with tracery is of the same date, repaired. The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of three stages with buttresses and embattled parapet; the tower arch is of early 15th-century date and of three moulded orders, and the jambs have moulded capitals and bases; the W. window is of two lights under a sexfoil in a pointed head; the second stage has single lights in the S. and W. walls, and the bell-chamber has four windows of two lights with tracery. The South Porch has a modern entrance and windows; over it is an upper chamber lighted by a small square headed window and approached by a stair-turret in the N.W. corner. The Roof of the nave is said to have some 15th-century timbers in it, but is covered with modern painted ornament, copied from the old design found in 1870; the roof of the N. aisle retains a few original timbers.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, of 1642. Brass: in front of the chancel step, of Richard Adane and Maryan, his wife, with inscription; the stone was laid in 1435, but the date of death has not been added: in the chancel, to John Fordham, 1527, and his two wives, inscription only; further inscription records its removal from the church, c. 1700, and restoration in 1910. Brackets: in the chancel, for images, two: in the N. aisle, two; all damaged. Doors: in the S. doorway, original, of oak, partly restored, retains old lock, large key and other ironwork: of the porch staircase, also with old ironwork. Glass: in a N. window of N. aisle, fragments, 15th-century. Locker: in the N.W. corner of N. aisle, tall, narrow recess (about 12 ft. high by 1 ft. 8 in. wide) with a concave back, probably a unique example in respect of its shape and height; it has rebate and iron hooks for door; possibly used to hold processional cross or stave. Monuments: on N. wall of chancel, to Edward Franklin, rector, 1617, and Rebecca, his wife, 1597, kneeling figures and inscription: at W. end of nave, floor slab to James Willymott, 1662. Piscina: in the S. aisle, 15th-century, partly mutilated. Plate: includes paten of 1685. Rood Screen: lower part of 15th-century screen, in situ; the panels have original paintings of saints (two kings, Edmund and Edward, and two bishops). Miscellanea: in the churchyard, S. of the building, base of an octagonal stone cross, 15th-century.
Condition—The tower needs repair, its buttresses and windows being much decayed; the rest of the building is in good condition.
b(2). Base of Village Cross, stands in the middle of a small triangular green near the church. Little workmanship remains, but it shows that the stone is probably of the 14th century. The upper half, in which is the socket for the cross, is octagonal, with ogee stops; the lower half is square. It was found in 1906, set on a brick base, and enclosed with iron railings.
Condition—Weatherworn; its custody has been taken over by the County Council.
a(3). Tumulus, on Gallows Hill.
Conditions—Fairly good, but thickly planted.