An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
55. MIDLOE (B.e.).
(O.S. 6 in. XXI S.W. and XXV N.W.)
Midloe is a small parish 3½ m. N.N.W. of St. Neots.
Midloe Grange, house and moat, stands on the S. side of the parish. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th century on a half H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N. and S. ends. In the 18th century the space between the wings was filled in and the N. cross-wing extended towards the W. The upper storey of the S. cross-wing originally projected at the W. end but has been under-built. Inside the building are some original chamfered ceiling-beams and a room on the first floor has an original stone fireplace with chamfered jambs, four-centred head and ornamental spandrels. A room at the S.W. angle has a plaster ceiling of barrel-form with two curved braces, showing below it, and forming a slight pointed arch.
The Moat encloses a large island and has an internal bank; the E. side has been destroyed.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.