An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
69. ST. NEOTS (C.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXV S.E.)
St. Neots is a parish and market town 8 m. S.S.W. of Huntingdon. The Church and bridge are the principal monuments.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 123) stands on the S. side of the town. The walls are of stone, iron-stone and pebble-rubble with dressings of Barnack, Weldon stone and clunch; the tower and N. chapel are faced with ashlar and there is modern ashlar-facing on the E. wall of the chancel. The roofs are covered with lead. The earliest part of the church is the N. wall of the Chancel which retains an early 13th-century window; the lower part of the S. wall may be also of this date. A N. vestry was added in the 14th century. A general rebuilding began in the 15th century with the South Chapel and chancel-arch; this was followed by the Nave and North and South Aisles late in the century, the South Porch, the N. Porch, the North Chapel and finally by the West Tower which was finished c. 1530. The N. wall of the N. aisle and W. part of the S. aisle appear to have been restored in the 17th century. The church was restored in 1844–7, when the North Porch was re-built, the upper part of the tower repaired in 1880, the North Vestry re-built in 1883 and the chancel-roof re-built in 1901.
The W. tower is a handsome example of early 16th-century work and the carved roofs throughout the church are remarkable. Among the fittings the communion table is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—All the details are of 15th- or early 16th-century date, unless otherwise stated and the parapets are all embattled. The Chancel (42½ ft. by 17 ft.) has a much restored E. window of five cinque-foiled and transomed lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head, with moulded internal reveals; the exterior is entirely modern. In the N. wall is a four-centred arch of two moulded orders with moulded labels; the responds have each three attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; further E. is a 14th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred head, and an early 13th-century lancet-window, with a thin modern blocking. In the S. wall is an arch similar to that in the N. wall, but all of clunch; further E. is a window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with moulded reveals, shafted on the inside, and a moulded label; the exterior is modern; high up in the wall, at the W. end, is a small square-headed opening from the S. chapel-roof. The partly restored chancel-arch is two-centred, but the details otherwise are similar to the arches in the N. and S. walls; the label on the E. face has one foliated stop.
The North Chapel (25 ft. by 18½ ft.) has, high up in the E. wall, a partly restored window of three cinque-foiled lights in a square head with moulded reveals and label. In the N. wall are two partly restored windows, each of four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with moulded reveals and label with scrolled stops carved with rosettes. In the W. wall is an arch generally similar to the chancel-arch but on a smaller scale. The walls of the N. chapel are ashlar-faced. The buttresses are of two stages and have in the upper stage a trefoil-headed panel with a high ogee crocketed gable having carved heads at the base; in each panel is a shield with the initials I H C.
The South Chapel (26 ft. by 17¾ ft.) has a much restored E. window of four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with moulded reveals and label; the internal reveals are also shafted, with moulded and carved capitals and moulded bases; the internal wall-face is recessed below the window for a former altar. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a four-centred head with moulded external reveals and label; the internal sill is carried down to form a seat; the western window is generally similar to the window in the E. wall, except that it has no recess below it; between the windows is a much restored doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label. In the W. wall is a four-centred arch of two orders, the outer chamfered and continuous and the inner wave-moulded and dying on to the N. respond and springing on the S. from an attached shaft with moulded capital and base; there is a moulded label on each face. The buttresses are similar to those of the N. chapel but have no shields.
The Nave (80 ft. by 21¼ ft.) has N. and S. arcades of five bays and of similar detail to the arches in the chancel; the junctions of the labels are masked by bosses of foliage and from these rise triple shafts, carried up to support the roof-trusses and finished with moulded and embattled capitals; instead of a S.E. respond there is a complete pier, with a segment of an arch of the same radius as the rest of the arcade, butting against the E. wall; in the N.E. angle is the rood-loft stair-turret, carried up above the roof; both upper and lower doorways have moulded jambs and four-centred head; the lower doorway has also a moulded label. The clearstorey has on each side five windows, each of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label; near the E. end of the S. wall is a doorway with a four-centred arch in a square head, opening on to the aisle-roof. On the E. gable is a sanctus bell-cote; the opening has a four-centred head.
The North Aisle (16¼ ft. wide) has buttresses similar to the N. chapel but without shields. In the N. wall are four partly restored windows, similar to those in the N. wall of the N. chapel; the N. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with a moulded label and traceried spandrels; the label-stops are modern. In the W. wall is a window, similar to those in the N. wall, but of three lights.
The South Aisle (16 ft. wide) has buttresses similar to the S. chapel. In the S. wall are four windows, similar to the corresponding windows in the N. aisle; the S. doorway is similar to the N. doorway but has scrolled stops to the label; the stair-turret to the upper storey of the S. porch has a doorway with moulded jambs, four-centred arch and label. In the W. wall is a window similar to the W. window of the N. aisle.
The West Tower (18 ft. square) is about 130 ft. high to the tops of the pinnacles. It is of three stages (Plate 123) with moulded plinth and embattled parapet and bands of cusped panelling, of varying design, between the stages, on the plinth and below the parapet string-course; the buttresses have panelling on the face of each stage, with cusped heads, and offsets finished with embattled tabling and having crocketed gables below two of the offsets; the buttresses finish half-way up the bell-chamber with crocketed pinnacles; above this level, at the angles of the tower, are panelled pilasters terminating in embattled cresting and tall crocketed and finialed pinnacles, set diagonally; the parapet-string is carved with paterae and faces; the middle merlon on each side is taller than the rest and has a cinquefoil-headed panel carved with one of the symbols of the evangelists and is capped by three pinnacles; the other merlons have each a carved patera. The two-centred tower-arch is of three orders, the two outer hollow-chamfered divided by hollows and continued as plain chamfers down the responds and the inner moulded and springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The W. window is of four cinque-foiled and transomed lights with a panelled double mullion in the middle and tracery in a two-centred head with moulded external reveals and label; the transom is embattled; the W. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with traceried spandrels each carved with a rose and a moulded label; the outer members of the doorway have a band of cusped panelling and the rolls of the jambs terminate in moulded bases. The N. and S. walls have each a blind window of three cinque-foiled panels with tracery in a segmental-pointed head. The second stage has in each wall a window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has in each wall a pair of windows each of two transomed and cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a cusped tympanum, enclosed under a four-centred arch with a crocketed ogee label and a square outer label with beast-stops; the transom is embattled and the lights below have quatre-foiled heads.
The North Porch was re-built in 1844 but incorporates an outer archway with moulded and shafted jambs and moulded four-centred arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and a moulded label with modern stops. The side walls have each a modern or much restored window of two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head.
The South Porch is of two storeys. The outer archway has moulded and shafted jambs and moulded four-centred arch with a moulded label; the window above it is of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with moulded external reveals and label. The side walls of the ground-storey have each two windows of three and two cinque-foiled lights respectively and both with four-centred heads and moulded labels.
The Roof of the chancel was re-built in 1901, but incorporates much of the old materials; it is of three bays, low-pitched and with moulded main timbers; the tie-beams have curved braces and on the faces of the wall-posts are carved figures, probably of apostles, though only one, St. James, can be definitely identified; four or five figures hold books; some of the ceiling-boards may be old, but the ribs, carving and decoration appear to be modern. The N. chapel has a low-pitched roof of two bays with moulded main timbers and rafters; the tie-beams have curved braces carved with tracery and shields; the main intersections have rose and other floral bosses; the cornices are crested and carved with running ornament and half-angels holding shields with the initials I H C; the tie-beams have busts of angels holding shields, and at the feet of the intermediate principals are crowned angels, one holding a book and two holding shields. The S. chapel has a roof generally similar to the N. chapel, but with traceried filling to the braces; the tie-beams are carved with figures of beasts, lions, angels with shields and an angel with a fleur-de-lis; the cornices are carved with a series of beasts and monsters, including a unicorn, camel, fox and goose, and perhaps an elephant; at the feet of the intermediate principals are half-angels holding books, a crown and a scroll. The roof of the nave (Plate 122) is low-pitched and of five main bays with a narrow bay at each end, the eastern painted; the main timbers are moulded and the tie-beams have curved braces with traceried filling; the main intersections have foliated bosses; at the feet of the intermediate principals are carved angels holding shields, one with a cross, a book and a chalice; the tie-beams are, with one exception, carved on each face with busts of angels holding shields, books or crowns; one holds bagpipes and another a lute; the face, which is the exception, is carved with two beasts and two birds; the cornices, against the walls, are carved with running vine-ornament and a series of beasts and monsters, in pairs, including on the N. side—lions, griffons, eagles, greyhounds, wyverns, hare, camels and a dog and hart; on the S. side—harts, lions, rams, dogs, etc. The N. aisle has a flat pent-roof of five bays, with a narrow bay at each end; the main timbers are moulded and the tie-beams have curved braces forming segmental-pointed arches, with traceried filling and there is tracery between the tie-beams and the principals; the tie-beams generally are carved on the faces with angels holding shields and divided by paterae and in one case by a shield with a cross; two faces, however, are carved only with quatrefoils or paterae; the N. cornice is carved with similar angels; the roof rests on the S. side on moulded stone corbels; there is evidence of considerable damage to the N. side of the roof, during some 17th-century repairs to the N. wall. The S. aisle has a pent-roof of five bays with moulded main timbers, cambered tie-beams with curved braces and remains of traceried filling and brattishing; the main intersections have foliated bosses and, at the base of the intermediate principals, are carved bosses of later character; the faces of the tie-beams are carved with angels, beasts and monsters including dogs, rams, camels, lions, harts, mermaids, fishes and eagles; the N. cornice is carved with paterae; the S. cornice has remains of brattishing, running foliage-ornament, and a series of carved angels and beasts including unicorns, lions, griffons, harts, dogs, birds, dragons, leopards (?), bear and fox. The low-pitched roof of the N. porch has moulded main timbers and a carved boss in the middle The low-pitched roof of the upper storey of the S. porch is of two bays with moulded tie-beam, curved braces and a short king-post; the roof has remains of painted decoration.
Fittings—Books: In upper storey of S. porch— small library of about 100 theological works, the earliest of early 16th-century date. Brass Indents: In N. chapel—(1) with remains of marginal-inscription in separate letters and floriated cross, early 14th-century. Under tower-arch—(2) of three figures, inscription-plate and four roundels, much worn. Chest (Plate 146): In upper storey of S. porch—iron-bound, with cambered lid, two hasps remaining and one lock-plate, two drop-handles at one end, probably 16th-century. Communion Table (Plate 151): In chancel— with turned and bulging legs having acanthus and gadrooned ornament and Ionic capitals, moulded lower rails and upper rails carved with arabesque ornaments and masks, early 17th-century. Door: To room over S. porch—of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, wooden lock, late 15th-century. Font: deep octagonal bowl with chamfered under-edge and roll-necking, short round stem, probably 13th-century. Glass: In S. aisle—in tracery of fourth window in S. wall, angel holding shield of the arms of the See of Canterbury, also two rosettes, 15th-century. In window of room over S. porch—two panels (Plate 157) made up of various pieces including figures of St. Stephen with stones and St. Lawrence with grid-iron, two crowned Ms, instruments of the Passion, tabernacle-work, stars, etc. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: On S. aisle—on buttress W. of porch, to William Heath, 1676, inscription cut on stonework. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) to . . . . Rowley, with shield-of-arms and indent of side-columns and arch perhaps formerly inlaid in marble, 17th- or 18th-century. In nave—(2) to Laurence Thompson, 1705, and Elizabeth (Cramphorne) his wife, 1724. Niches: In N. aisles—in N. wall, recess with moulded jambs, projecting cusped and traceried head, crocketed and finialed label and spandrel carved with oak-leaves and acorns; ribbed vault and projecting bracket with vine-ornament, late 15th-century. On W. tower—on S. wall, recess with shafted and buttressed jambs and cinque-foiled head, bracket carved with an angel holding a shield charged with a chevron and with grotesque beasts flanking the angel, early 16th-century. Inscription: on lead roof of nave —scratched date and names "1674, Scroope, Tyrwitt.' Paintings: In chancel—on splayed head of 13th-century window, masonry-lines in red. In nave—on E. half-bay of roof, restored painted decoration, possibly representing old work. On roof of upper storey of porch—two rafters with banded decoration, wall-plates with zig-zag and foliage decoration and, on spandrel of truss, foliated design, late 15th- or early 16th-century. Screens: In N. chapel—under W. arch, of seven bays including central doorway, doorway with two-centred head (Plate 33) and spandrels carved with naturalistic vine-sprigs, side bays with close lower panels having trefoiled and traceried heads and open upper panels with trefoiled and sub-cusped ogee heads, crockets, finial and traceried filling, moulded posts, rail and cornice with carved paterae and brattishing, late 15th-century. In S. chapel—under W. arch, of seven bays including central doorway, doorway with cinque-foiled and sub-cusped arch with traceried spandrels, side bays with plain close lower panels and open upper panels, with trefoiled ogee and crocketed heads and traceried filling, moulded posts, rail and cornice, the latter with running vine-ornament and brattishing, late 15th-century. Between S. chapel and chancel—of seven bays including doorway at E. end, all generally similar to W. screen of same chapel, but cornice and cresting appear to be modern. Stalls: In chancel—three against N. wall and two against S. wall, of oak with shaped backs and elbows, hinged seats, four with misericords—three bearing shields with a flory cross and scrolls inscribed "Jesu Merci" and one with main carving cut away but side sprigs of foliage left; elbows, on N. side, carved with paterae and, on S. side, with small beasts, late 15th- and early 16th-century. Miscellanea: In room over S. porch—broken stone gable-cross, probably 15th-century. Three pinnacles taken from the tower are preserved, one each in the gardens of the Vicarage, of Eynesbury House and of Cedar House School in Cambridge Street. A 15th-century shaft with a moulded capital and base, formerly in the church, is now preserved in a garden at Eaton Ford.
(2). The Bridge (Plate 124) crosses the Ouse at the W. end of the town, from the W. end of Market Square and connects the town with the adjoining county of Bedfordshire. The bridge, over the river itself, is in three spans with semi-circular arches, but is continued westward in a series of eight smaller semi-circular arches and a causeway, over the low-lying ground on the Bedfordshire side. It is built of Ketton and Barnack-ashlar, stone-rubble, brick and modern material. According to Leland, the bridge was of timber in 1538, but this may only refer to the main span and not to the piers. The lower stones of the second arch from the E., and the whole of the third arch, are possibly of 14th-century date, but the upper part of the former was re-built probably in the latter part of the 16th century. An inquisition of 1588, relating mainly to the causeway, may indicate the approximate date of this rebuilding. The easternmost arch and the first four arches on the Bedfordshire bank were built probably in the 17th century. The four arches still further W. were built in 1647 and the causeway is old but so much refaced as to make it impossible to assign to it a definite date. The bridge has been repaired at various times and modern work includes a considerable rebuilding of the large pier on the Bedfordshire bank between the third and fourth arches from the E., the widening of the whole structure on the N. side by corbelling out a parapet-wall on cantilevers above the arches, and the widening of the S. side of the arches over the river itself in a similar manner.
The piers between the arches have pointed cut-waters on both sides except those to the three westernmost arches, which, on the N. side, have flat pedestal buttresses with moulded caps and bases; on the middle one of these buttresses is a panel carved with the date 1647 and the letters Anno in the spandrels. On the N. side of the easternmost pier is a stone inscribed Edward Ashcroft. The first pier on the Bedfordshire side of the river is very massive and the pier between the work of 1647 and the arch on the E. is some 30 ft. in height and without cut-waters. The first arch from the E. is narrow and was probably re-built in the 17th century; it has plain voussoirs and a flat soffit. The second, or central arch over the river is of two chamfered orders and has on the soffit four chamfered ribs with coursed rubble-filling between them; a break in the masonry about onethird up the height of the arch indicates the junction of the later with the original work, and the soffit of the upper part is divided into panels by cross-ribs. The third arch is of narrower span and has on the soffit five chamfered ribs. The upper orders of the second and third arches have been cut into by the modern cantilevers causing the widening above and the E.haunch of the third arch has been partly re-built. The next four spans have plain semi-circular arches of ashlar; about 1½ ft. above the arches the walling for about 1½ ft. is of 17th-century brickwork, above which it is of modern brick. The four westernmost arches are each semi-circular and have plain archivolts; they are of ashlar, but the walling and parapet above are of modern brick. On the N. side above the archivolts is a moulded string which however has been, in places, destroyed by modern work; between the buttresses practically the whole of this side of these arches has been covered with modern stucco.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
Market Square. N. side
(3). Bridge Hotel, at the N.W. corner of the square, has been largely added to on all sides except the E. and is considerably altered. Re-set in the upper part of the S. wall of the modern additions is a late 17th-century plaster panel (Plate 159), rectangular in form, with the middle enriched with a repeating ornamental design set within a border of rosettes. Inside the building, five posts of the timber-framing behind the panel are exposed and the plaster between them is painted (Plate 119) with roses and strapwork of late Elizabethan date.
(4). Cross Keys Hotel, 40 yards E. of (3), is of two storeys. The walls are partly of brick and partly of plastered timber-framing; the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. It was built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. In the 18th century the S. or streetfront was refronted in brick, bay-windows were added, both wings were extended towards the N. and additions were made on the E. side of the building. It has been further altered in modern times. Part of the E. wall of the W. wing has a projecting brick band at the level of the first floor. Inside the building, one room on the first floor has an early 18th-century fireplace with a bolection-moulded surround and a moulded shelf. Re-used in the bar is a battened cupboard door.
(5). House and shop, 10 yards E. of (4), is of two storeys with attics and a cellar. It has been much altered and added to at the back. Inside the building the lower parts of the side walls of the cellar are of stone and re-set in the W. wall is a length of 15th-century stone panelling; the panels have cinque-foiled heads with sunk spandrels and are in places much worn, owing to periodical flooding of the cellar. The stonework probably came from the Priory which formerly stood not far from the site of this building.
(6). House, 30 yards E. of (5), has had the lower part on the front converted into a shop. The northern end of the building is probably of later date than the main block but incorporates some old material. There is a passage-way through to the back on the W. side of the shop, with exposed beams and joists in the ceiling. At the back of the building some of the timber-framing is exposed. Inside the building are some doors of moulded battens.
(7). Angel Inn, 10 yards E. of (6), has been very much altered and has a modern tiled roof. Inside the building, over a fireplace on the first floor, is a 17th-century plaster panel (Plate 119) modelled with four amorini and conventional ornament within a moulded border.
(8). House, E. of (7), has been much altered and has had the ground-floor room on the S. front converted into a shop. W. of the shop is a passage-way through to the back. At the back some of the timber-framing is exposed.
(9). House, E. of (8), is of two storeys. The ground-floor rooms fronting the street have been converted into modern shops and modern additions have been made both on the N. and the E. The upper part of the street-front is of 18th-century character, but at the N. end of the original back block is a cross-wing, gabled on both the E. and W. ends and having some of the timber-framing exposed.
Condition—Of front part, fairly good; of back part, poor.
(10). Fox and Hounds Inn, 20 yards E. of (9), is of three storeys with a back wing of two storeys. It is of brick and plastered timber-framing and was built probably c. 1700, but has been considerably altered and remodelled. Inside the building is an original staircase with moulded string and handrail, square newels with moulded cappings and symmetrically turned balusters.
(11). House, the southernmost building on the E. side of the square, 50 yards S. of (10), has a cross-wing at the E. end. The front to the square is gabled and the ground-floor has been converted into a modern shop; the whole of the S. wall of the front block has been refaced with later brick; the cross-wing is gabled but the lower part is covered by a low modern addition.
(12). Block of two houses and shops, opposite to, and 15 yards S. of, (11), is of three storeys and was built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. About 1700 an extension was built on to the S. end of the W. wing and in the 18th century a similar addition was built on to the S. end of the E. wing. Modern work includes an addition on the E. side of the W. wing and extensions on the S. end of the wings and the conversion of the ground-floor rooms fronting the square in shops. The front of the building was altered in the 18th century and is carried up in four gables; it has a central carriage-way through to the yard at the back. The back elevation to the front block has a projecting gallery with a lean-to roof joining the two wings probably added in the 18th century; the original chimney-stack adjoining the E. wall of the W. wing has three attached diagonal shafts, the easternmost of which has been re-built. The E. elevation of the E. wing has some of the timber-framing exposed; on the ground-floor is a three-light window with moulded wood mullions and a similar window of seven lights. The W. elevation of the E. wing has an old doorway at the S. end with a moulded wood frame.
(13). Block of two houses, at S. end of square, is of three storeys; the walls are of brick and plastered timber-framing. The S. end of the front block dates probably from late in the 15th century. Late in the 17th century a back wing was added extending towards the W. and the building was at the same time extended towards the N., probably incorporating some earlier work. In modern times the W. wing has been heightened, additions have been made at the back, the front has been refaced with brick and the building divided into two houses with a central passage-way between them. Inside the building the ceilings in the ground-floor rooms of the original building have moulded ceiling and wall-beams and joists and there are exposed beams and joists in the ceiling of the central passage-way.
South Street. E. side
(14). Block of two houses and shops, 45 yards S. of the High Street, is of two storeys. It was built possibly c. 1600, but has been much altered at later dates and added to at the back; the ground-floor rooms fronting the street have been converted into modern shops. The southernmost shop has the upper storey projecting and at the eaves is a plastered coved cornice, but the northern shop has been refaced with modern brick and has had the upper storey under-built.
(15). House and shop adjoining (14) on the S. was built probably c. 1600, but has been altered and added to at the back in modern times. On the streetfront the upper storey projects and is carried on a moulded beam supported at either end on a shaped bracket; the moulding on the beam appears to have been re-cut.
High Street. N. side
(16). Range of three houses, 20 yards W. of Huntingdon Street, has had the lower rooms fronting the street converted into modern shops.
(17). House, 150 yards E. of South Street, was built late in the 15th century. A wing was built at the W. end of the house projecting towards the S. about 1700, and modern alterations include additions at the back of both the original house and the later extension. The front to the street has been refaced with modern brick and the upper floor which originally overhung has been under-built. Inside the building both the front rooms have the moulded bressummer exposed which supported the original projecting upper storey, and below it one curved bracket remains with a carved foliated spandrel. In the ceiling of the westernmost front room are some moulded beams. One room on the first floor has an old battened door.
(18). Block of three houses and shops, 10 yards E. of (17), was probably one building of an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. It has been remodelled and had the lower rooms fronting the street converted into shops in modern times and has modern additions at the back. The W. end of the street-front is gabled and between the gabled end and the E. wing is a carriage-way through to the back with exposed and chamfered beams in the ceiling. Inside the building in a passage behind the easternmost shop are two battened doors.
(19). Dewdrop Inn, adjoining (18) on the E., is of two storeys. It was built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. but has been much altered and added to at the back. The N. end of the E. front is gabled and originally projected at the first-floor level but has since been under-built.
Cambridge Street N. side
(20). House and shop, 20 yards E. of Huntingdon Street, is of two storeys. It has had the lower storey converted into a shop and has been added to at the back. Inside the building one of the ground-floor rooms has a late 17th- or early 18th-century fireplace with a bolection-moulded wood surround and a moulded shelf with a panelled overmantel, flanked by panelled pilasters and with a moulded cornice above. In one of the bedrooms is a fireplace of similar character with a moulded wood architrave and a moulded cornice on a plain wood surround.
(21). Houses, two and shop, 40 yards E. of (20), are of two storeys and of brick and plastered timber-framing. The building has been refronted in modern times and been added to at the back. Inside the building are some moulded battened doors.
(22). House and shop, 150 yards E. of (21), is of two storeys and of brick and plastered timber-framing. It is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. and was altered c. 1700 when the eastern end was probably re-built. The E. end of the S. or street-front is faced with modern brick. The N. front of the N. wing is gabled; the lower part is of brick but the upper part is of plastered timber-framing and has some of the timber-framing exposed.
(23). House and shop, opposite (22), is of two storeys and was built c. 1700; it has modern additions at the back. The front to the street has a coved plaster cornice at the eaves-level.
(24). House, on N. side of Brook Street, 60 yards W. of the church, is of brick and was built on a rectangular plan c. 1700. The E. wall has been refaced with modern brick and additions have been built at the N.W. angle of the house. The walls of the old house have a projecting plinth, a projecting brick band at the level of the first floor and a wooden modillioned cornice at the eaves; the roof is hipped. The front or S. elevation is symmetrically designed and has square-headed windows and a central wood doorway with side pilasters supporting an entablature. The back elevation is plastered.
(25). Woolpack Inn, at the S. end of the street, 40 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys. It was built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. It has been remodelled and has had additions made in modern times.
(26). House, on W. side of road, 50 yards S. of High Street, is of two storeys. The building has been altered and converted into two tenements. In a modern outbuilding to the N. of the house are two old battened doors.
(27). Block of three tenements, on E. side of the road, opposite (26), is of plastered timber-framing and brick. It was built c. 1700 and was originally probably one house but has since been altered and added to at the back.
Huntingdon Street. W. side
(28). Old Sun Inn, 80 yards N. of High Street, is of two storeys. It has been added to and altered.
(29). House and shop, on S. corner of Russell Street, 110 yards N. of (28) is of two storeys. It has been considerably altered and has later additions at the back. The house originally extended further southwards but the southern end has recently been burnt down. Inside the building one of the ground-floor rooms has a moulded ceiling-beam carved on the soffit with guilloche enrichment.
(30). Inn, 160 yards N. of (29) is of two storeys. It has been much altered.
(31). House, now two shops and tenements, at S. corner of the junction of Huntingdon Street and East Street, is of two storeys. The house is built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. In the 18th century a barn was built on to the E. end of the southernmost wing and the northern wing was heightened possibly at the same time. The building has been converted into tenements in modern times and additions have been made to the N. wing. The front to Huntingdon Street is gabled at either end and the W. end of the front to East Street is gabled and refaced with modern brick. At the back of the building some of the timber-framing is exposed. Inside the building on the first floor are some battened doors and some of the timber construction is exposed.