An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
51 TEDDINGTON (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXV, N.E.)
Teddington is a parish on the W. bank of the Thames, adjoining Twickenham on the S. The church is the principal monument.
(1) Old Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the E. side of the parish. It has been largely re-built in the 18th and 19th centuries, the N. aisle being added in 1753 and the tower re-built in 1754. The only ancient portions are an early 16th-century arch between the N. chapel and aisle and the brick-built South Aisle of the same period, which has a tiled roof.
Architectural Description—The arch, between the N. chapel and aisle, is four-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The South Aisle (13¼ ft. wide) is of early 16th-century brickwork with some black brick diapering. The walling has been patched and the windows and doorway are modern.
Fittings—Bells: four, 3rd (?) by Bryan Eldridge, 1620. Brasses: In S. aisle—on E. wall, (1) to Richard Parsons, 1613, inscription only; on S. wall, (2) of John Goodyere, 1506, and Thomasyn his wife, figures of man in civil costume and wife. Monuments: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) to Sir Orlando Bridgeman, Bart., 1674, marble wall-monument (Plate 16) with oval wreath, Corinthian side-columns, entablature, broken pediment, achievement and two cartouches-of-arms. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (2) to Thomas Fitch, 1701, Martha Fitch his mother, 1691, Martha, wife of Needler Webb, her granddaughter, 1703–4, and Judith Hawkes, 1707, scrolled white marble tablet with drapery and achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—on S. wall of S. aisle, (3) to Mary, daughter of Thomas Powys, 1683, stone tablet.
The following monuments, unless otherwise decribed, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tile or slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2) House, No. 157 on the N. side of High Street about 100 yards S.W. of the old church.
(3) House with shop, No. 95 High Street, 20 yards E. of Watt's Lane.
(4) House with shop, No. 85 High Street, on the W. corner of Watt's Lane, was built c. 1700.
(5) House, now a store, immediately N.W. of (4).