An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
9 DRAYTON, WEST (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIV, S.E.)
West Drayton is a parish on the W. border of the county 3½ m. S. of Uxbridge. The church and the gatehouse of the former Manor House are the principal monuments.
(1) Parish Church of St. Martin (Plate 4) stands near the N. end of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble with dressings of Reigate and other freestone; the roofs are covered with lead and tiles. Remains of 13th-century lancet-windows are said to have been discovered in the Chancel which may indicate the date of this part of the building. There may also be some work of the same century in the West Tower. The whole structure with the Nave and Aisles seems to have been largely re-built about the middle of the 15th century. The Tower seems to have been restored in the 16th or 17th century and again in recent years; the church in general was restored externally in 1850 and the South Porch and Vestry are modern.
The church is of no great architectural interest, but amongst the fittings the pre-Reformation plate, the font and clock are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35½ ft. by 17 ft.) has an E. window all modern except perhaps the rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows all modern except the splays and rear-arches which are probably of the 15th century; between them is a modern doorway and flanking it on the outside are some exposed dressings probably of former lancet-windows. The S. wall has two windows similar to those opposite and between them is a doorway, modern except for the splays and rear-arch. The 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of one chamfered and one small hollow-chamfered order continued down the responds to moulded bases.
The Nave (40½ ft. by 17 ft.) has 15th-century N. and S. arcades of three bays with two-centred arches similar to the chancel-arch, the columns are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal, with moulded capitals and bases. The clearstorey has on each side three windows all modern except the 15th-century splays and rear-arches.
The North Aisle (10¼ ft. wide) is of the 15th century and has a three-light E. window all modern except the splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows all modern except the splays and rear-arches. In the W. wall is a similar window.
The South Aisle (10¼ ft. wide) has E., S. and W. windows similar to those in the N. aisle. The S. doorway is modern except the splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is mainly of the 15th century and of three stages with a plain parapet repaired in brick. The 15th-century tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered and one hollow-chamfered order continued down the responds to moulded bases. The W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with a moulded label. The W. window is modern except for the splays and rear-arch. The second stage has in the S. and W. walls a window of one pointed light. The bell-chamber has in the E., S. and W. walls a modern window.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century, flat-pitched and of three bays; the tie-beams have curved braces and short posts supporting the ridge; the wall-posts stand on stone corbels carved with grotesque figures or busts. The 15th-century roofs of the aisles are of flat, pent type and the principals have curved braces springing from stone corbels carved with human and beast-heads.
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th by William Eldridge, 1710, three not hung and one of these cracked; the sanctus-bell is said to be of 1704. Brasses: In chancel—(1) to James Good, M.D., 1581, and Joan (Glinton) his wife, figure of man in civil costume and wife, groups of six sons and five daughters, two shields-of-arms, also achievement and two lozenges-of-arms, now set on slab of (2); (2) figure of man in civil costume c. 1520, inscription missing; on same slab, shield of Roos, part of former brass of Richard Roos, 1406. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (3) to John Burnell, 1551, inscription in engraved architectural frame, set in Purbeck marble tablet (Plate 13) with round head and trefoiled spandrels; on floor, (4) to Margaret (North) wife of Thomas Burnell, 1529, figure of woman in pedimental head-dress, two sons, one daughter and four shields-of-arms, (a) Mercers' Company, (b) Burnell impaling North, (c) North, and (d) Staple of Calais. Chest: In S. aisle—iron-bound with cambered lid, one lock and two staples, 16th or 17th-century. Clock: In tower—clock works in iron framework with angle-standards in form of Gothic buttresses, probably early 16th-century. Font: (Plate 51) octagonal bowl with small buttresses at angles and panels carved as follows, (a) Crucifixion with Virgin and St. John, (b) large leaf and figure of man with hood and dagger, (c) Pietà, (d) and (h) half-angels with shields and (e), (f), (g) half-angels with scrolls, under edge of bowl carved with human figures, beasts and foliage; pierced and buttressed stem with trefoil openings and central octagonal shaft; base with paterae and four human and beast-figures at main angles, 15th-century. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) record of the benefactions of George Carey, Lord Hunsdon, K.G., 1603, alabaster tablet with achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (2) to Catherine (Kinton), wife of James Eckersall, 1712, and James her only child, white marble oval tablet, with palms, cherub-head and cartouche-of-arms. Piscina: In chancel (Plate 27)—of two bays with moulded two-centred arches and labels with mask-stops shafted jambs and detached central shaft, with moulded capitals and bases, multifoiled drain in W. bay, restored quatre-foiled drain in E. bay, 13th-century, possibly re-set. Plate: includes chalice and paten (Plate 52), 1507, chalice with inscription "Orate pro animabus Johannis Porpyll et Johanne uxoris eius" paten with cusped sinking, engraved leaves in spandrels and vernicle in middle.
The churchyard is enclosed on the E., N. and part of the W. side by walls of early 16th-century red brick with some traces of diapering and small wall-niches; this wall seems to have formed part of the enclosure of the manor-house which formerly stood to the S. of the churchyard.
(2) The Gatehouse (Plate 49) of the former Manor House, immediately S. of the churchyard, is now of two storeys; the walls are of red brick and the roofs are lead-covered. The Manor House, formerly the property of the Paget and De Burgh families, has been long destroyed but the early 16th-century gatehouse and considerable stretches of enclosure wall are still standing. The gate-house was no doubt originally higher and is finished with a modern embattled parapet. It has flanking semi-octagonal turrets but the windows are modern. The central archway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch with a moulded label; the original oak doors are of two folds plainly panelled and hung on strap-hinges; one fold has a low wicket. The inner arch-way has jambs and four-centred arch of two chamfered orders with a moulded label.
(3) The Vicarage, 300 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tile and slate-covered. The N.E. wing was built probably in the 17th century, and the main block was added or re-built early in the 18th century. There is an addition of 1743 at the back and a modern addition at the W. end. The garden has an 18th-century wrought-iron gate and fencing with elaborately scrolled standards and overthrow with a monogram.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(4) Six Bells Inn, 250 yards N.N.E. of the church, has been refaced in brick and much altered.
(5) Old Oak Lodge (Plate 28), on the S. side of the road 150 yards W.N.W. of (4), was built in the 16th century with a cross-wing at the W. end. The timber-framing is exposed and the roofs are original; they have cambered tie-beams and curved wind-braces.
(6) Cottage (Plate 27), two tenements, Nos. 84 and 86 Swan Road, 280 yards W. of the church.
(7) Cottage, on the W. side of Drayton Green 500 yards S.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century but has been refaced in 18th-century brick. The roof is original and has wind-braces.
(8) The Copse, house 50 yards S.S.W. of (7), was built in the 16th century but refaced in brick and added to in the 18th century. On the S.E. side is an original window of three lights with moulded oak frame and mullions. One chimney-stack has 17th-century diagonal shafts. Inside the building the roof retains some original wind-braces and some of the framing is exposed.
(9) House, with shop, on the E. side of the Green 250 yards W.S.W. of the church.
(10) The Old House, 220 yards S.S.W. of (9), is a brick building of late 17th or early 18th-century date. The doorway has a flat hood on shaped brackets.
(11) Avenue House, 100 yards S.E. of (10) has a 16th-century E. wing but the main block is of the 18th century. The old part has heavy timber-framing. To the S. of the house is a timber-framed barn perhaps of the 16th century.
(12) Southlands, house 50 yards S.W. of (11), was built early in the 18th century. The walls are of brick with a moulded band between the storeys. A timber-framed barn, S.W. of the house, is probably of the 17th century.
(13) Old Meadows, cottage 200 yards S.S.W. of (12), was built probably in the 16th century. The upper storey formerly projected on the W. front. Inside the building some timber-framing and roof-timbers are exposed.
(14) The Frays, house on the bank of the mill-stream 700 yards S.W. of the church, was built perhaps in the 15th century but has been refaced in brick. The gable of the E. cross-wing has original simply foiled barge-boards. Inside the building much of the framing is exposed and in the S. wall are the mortices for the diamond bar-mullions of an original window. Over the main or hall-block are remains of an original roof-truss with cambered tie-beam and curved braces.
Condition—In part, bad.
(15) Cottage, 80 yards N.E. of (14), has been refronted in brick.
(16) House, 20 yards E. of (15), has some exposed timber-framing.