An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 1, Archaeological Sites in North-East Northamptonshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(OS 1:10000 TL 08 SE)
The parish, covering some 410 hectares, lies near the old Huntingdonshire border, on land between 150 ft. and 230 ft. above OD. It is almost wholly on Boulder Clay.
Medieval and Later
(1) Settlement remains (TL 08408282–08858212; partly on Fig. 105) formerly part of Thurning village, lie W. and N.E. of the church and behind the present street. The remains are much disturbed, cut into by ponds, and form no coherent pattern.
(2) Moat (TL 08468287; Fig. 105) W. of the church on flat land at 225 ft. above OD. A shallow ditch nowhere more than 0.5 m. deep surrounds a rectangular island which is level with adjacent land. The moat lies at the N.E. end of a rectangular enclosure bounded by a bank and external ditch which is traceable on the N.E. for 80 m., where it meets a disused hollowway forming the N.E. side of the enclosure. The S.E. corner has been destroyed. S.E. of the moat and the enclosure, and bounding the modern road, is a series of indeterminate earthworks which are part of (1).
(3) Cultivation remains. The common fields were enclosed in 1839 following an Act of Parliament of 1837 (NRO, Enclosure Map). Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the ground, or can be traced on air photographs, over the greater part of the parish arranged in end-on and interlocked furlongs. Where the ridge-and-furrow is not visible, well-marked long ridges, formerly headlands between furlongs, still remain on the ground (e.g. at TL 093832). (RAF VAP 541/143, 3200–4; 541/602, 3030–1)