An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
80 PRESTON RICHARD (D.g.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLII, S.E., (b)XLIII, N.W., (c)XLIII, S.W.)
Preston Richard is a township of Heversham, 5 m. S.S.E. of Kendal.
b(1). Friends Burial Ground near the N. end of the parish contains the following—Monument: to Anne, daughter of Isaac Cartmell, 170 (2 ?), slab.
c(2). The Old Hall, about 1¼ m. S.S.W. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has been extensively altered and enlarged, but the middle part of the E. side seems to be the earliest part of the building. The N. end is a late 17th-century addition and over the doorway is a stone with the initials and date W. and M.I. 1685.
a(3). Cottage at Field End about 1,025 yards W.N.W. of (2), is a late 17th-century building of two storeys, with rubble walls and a slate-covered roof.
b(4). High Commonmire, house ¾ m. N. of (2), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably late in the 17th century and contains some original panelled doors and a re-set beam carved with the initials and date E.B. 1696.
b(5). Storth End, house on the N.W. edge of the parish 1,450 yards N. of (4), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century and on the gable of the porch are the initials (T) and A.D. Inside the building is a panelled partition with the same initials and the date 1701. The S. room has a small cupboard of 1722. The staircase has a moulded rail and five flat shaped balusters; there is some panelling in the stair-hall. An Outbuilding, E. of the house, has a 17th-century window with moulded oak frame and mullion, but now blocked.
a(6). Outbuilding, at Kidside at the S. end of the parish is modern but incorporates a late 16th or early 17th-century window of stone and of three lights with a moulded label.