An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
95 STRICKLAND, GREAT (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VIII, N.W., (b)VIII, S.W., (c)VIII, S.E.)
Great Strickland is a parish and small village 5 m. N. of Shap.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(1). House, on the N. side of the road 130 yards W. of the church, retains some original battened partitions and panelled doors.
b(2). Cottage, 150 yards W.S.W. of (1), retains some original windows.
b(3). Post Office, on the S. side of the road 350 yards W.S.W. of the church.
b(4). Cottage, 160 yards S.W. of (3), was built c. 1700 and retains some original windows.
b(5). House, formerly School, 170 yards W. of (4), was built c. 1700.
b(6). Field Head, house ¾ m. S.E. of the church, was built c. 1700.
b(7). Bradley, house ¾ m. E. of the church, retains some original windows.
c(8). Mealy Syke, house over 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
a(9). Wood House, ¾ m. N.E. of the church, was built c. 1700.
a(10). Woodside, house 1,100 yards N.N.W. of (9), has an 18th-century extension on the N. Some of the windows are original.
a(11). Barn, near the site of Melkinthorpe Hall 1¼ m. W.N.W. of the church, is partly of one storey. It is lit by two ranges of loop-lights.