An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
83 SCALTHWAITERIGG (D.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIV, S.W., (b)XXXIX, N.W.)
Scalthwaiterigg is a parish immediately N.E. of the parish of Kendal.
b(1). Wall at Spital on the W. side of the parish. St. Leonard's Hospital was founded some time in the 12th century and formed part of the possessions of the Augustinian Priory of Conishead (Lancs). The wall, S.W. of the modern house, perhaps formed part of the hospital buildings and is probably of late mediæval date. It is of rubble and apparently was part of a twostorey building; there is the start of a return-wall at the E. end. In the lower part are two square-headed windows, one now blocked, and near the E. end is a small square recess. There are remains of rough openings in the upper part of the wall.
a(2). Scalthwaiterigg Stocks, house 1,500 yards N.E. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was re-built in the 18th century but contains some 17th-century panelling and a portion of framing with the date Anno Dni. 1603.