An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
98 STRICKLAND ROGER (D.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIII, N.E., (b)XXXIII, S.E.)
Strickland Roger is a parish 3 m. N. of Kendal. Burneside Hall and Godmond Hall are the principal monuments.
b(1). Burneside Hall (Plates 154, 155), house and gatehouse at the S. end of the parish. The House is partly of two and partly of three storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The manor belonged to the Burneshead and Bellingham families till the 16th century. The house was built in the 14th century with a central hall and cross-wings at the N. and S. ends; the N. cross-wing formed a tower. Machell's drawing of c. 1692 shows both cross wings of three storeys and embattled and the main block with a doorway at the first floor level. In the 18th century the S. cross-wing was reduced in height and re-roofed and the tower-wing fell into ruin.
The house is an interesting example of a defensive dwelling of the 14th century with a gatehouse and walled enclosure for cattle.
The W. front of the hall-block has on the ground-floor an early 17th-century window of three transomed lights with a moulded label; the other openings are later. On the first floor are two original windows of three trefoiled and transomed lights; farther S. is a third window of the same date, of two trefoiled lights. The E. side of the hall-block has a large projecting chimney-stack with offsets. The tower or N. wing is of three storeys and retains a number of original looplights; other openings have either been enlarged or are mere gaps in the wall. In the N. wall is a doorway with a rough two-centred head and on this side is a low offset perhaps to take the springing of the barrel-vault of an adjoining structure, now demolished. The upper part of the tower is ruined but there are remains of the parapet at the E. end. The S. cross-wing retains an original window, in the E. end, of two trefoiled lights; at the back of the W. block of this wing is a chimney-stack with four 17th-century diagonal shafts. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams. The hall-block has, in the N. wall, two original doorways with chamfered jambs and two-centred heads; the adjoining 17th-century fireplace probably replaces two further original doorways. In the E. wall is another original doorway of the same character; the large fireplace in the same wall has a small cupboard with a panelled door and a seat with a panelled back, both of the 17th century. On the first floor is the screen (Plate 59) of c. 1600 of the old hall; it is three panels high with a range of frieze-panels; two bays formed doorways and one of these has a panelled 17th-century door. The tower has two chambers and a passage on the ground floor, all with rubble barrel-vaults. At the E. end are a garde-robe projection and a circular staircase. In the upper floors are remains of large fireplaces, with segmental heads. The middle room on the first floor of the S. wing has remains of a plaster ceiling (Plate 49) of c. 1600; it has a series of quatre-foiled panels with moulded ribs and filled with vine-sprays. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters and square newels.
The Gatehouse, 25 yards W. of the house, is a rubble building of two storeys. It was built probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th century and has on either front a round-headed archway; between the arches is hung a door of two leaves with a wicket and strap-hinges. Some original windows remain in the upper storey. Adjoining the N. wall of the gatehouse is a short length of the curtain-wall, formerly enclosing a courtyard; the curtain had a parapet-walk approached by the external staircase N. of the gatehouse. There are traces of a former enclosure on the N. side of the house.
Condition—Good, except tower which is ruined and ivy-grown.
b(2). Godmond Hall, nearly 1½ m. N.W. of (1), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. At the E. end of the house are remains of a square pele-tower, probably of mediæval date. The house was added probably late in the 17th century. The tower is of two storeys and is now gabled from N. to S. In the E. wall is a small original light. The N. front of the house is symmetrically designed and retains some late 17th or early 18th-century windows with solid frames. Inside the building is a late 17th-century staircase, with turned balusters and square newels.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(3). Low Hundhouse, house 510 yards W. of (2), has a late 17th-century addition at the back. Inside the building is a fireplace with a corbelled head and two panelled cupboards all of early 18th-century date. The staircase, probably of the same period, has turned balusters and moulded strings.
a(4). High Hundhouse, house and barn 250 yards N.W. of (3). The House, has been much altered, but retains two chimney-stacks with cylindrical shafts. Inside the building are some original doors and a staircase with turned balusters and square newels.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of five bays.
b(5). Mire Foot, house 230 yards S.S.W. of (2), has been much altered and enlarged.
b(6). Laithwaite, house 1,520 yards N.W. of (1), was much altered late in the 17th century. Inside the building are three late 17th-century stone fireplaces, one having flanking pilasters. There is also a panelled cupboard of the same period, with fluted pilasters and an arched head. The staircase has turned balusters and moulded rails. On the first floor is some early 17th-century panelling.
b(7). Gilpin Bank, house 770 yards E. of (2).
b(8). Shepherd Green, house 500 yards E.S.E. of (7).
b(9). High Underbrow, house 350 yards N.E. of (8), has later additions on the E. and N. One chimney-stack has a cylindrical shaft. Inside the building are some 17th-century panelled doors and partitions. A small cupboard (Plate 36) has the initials and date W.B. 1676; and a larger three-stage cupboard of the local type with pendants and fascia at the top. In the porch is an oak board with the date 1647. On the first-floor is a cupboard-door with enriched panels. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters.
b(10). Hill Farm, house 500 yards S.E. of (9), contains a muntin and plank partition of the local type. A small cupboard bears the initials and date T. and I.B. 1694 and there is a two-stage cupboard with pendants and fascia in the local manner.
b(11). Hill Cottage, immediately S. of (10).
b(12). Low Underbrow, house 50 yards E. of (10), contains a muntin and plank partition of the local type.
b(13). Baxton Holme, cottage 200 yards N.E. of (12).
b(14). Beetham Bank, house 1,400 yards N.N.E. of (1), contains some original panelled doors and a late 17th-century staircase with turned balusters.
b(15). Houseman Tenement, house, two tenements, 680 yards N.E. of (1), was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. It contains some 17th-century doors and panelling and an early 18th-century fireplace of the local type. The Barn, adjoining the house, is of 17th century.