An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
21 CROOK (C.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIII, S.W., (b)XXXVIII, N.W.)
Crook is a parish 5 m. W.N.W. of Kendal.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Katherine, formerly a chapel of Kendal, was pulled down except for the W. tower when the new church was built 450 yards to the N. in 1887. The Tower is said to have been built c. 1620 and is a structure of rubble and of three storeys with a pent-roof. The ground stage has a segmental-pointed tower-arch, now partly blocked; above it is the weathering of the former roof of the nave. In the W. wall is a doorway, with a segmental head, now blocked; above it is a small rectangular window, also blocked. The second stage has a looplight in the N. and W. walls. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, two plain rectangular lights. The ground to the E. indicates that the former nave was some 50 ft. by 25 ft.
Fitting—Bell: In modern church—inscribed in Lombardic capitals "Sancta Maria ora pro nobis," with a crowned shield of old France quartering England, mid to late 14th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, some cracks in N. and S. faces.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and wide fireplaces.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). Crook Hall, 260 yards S.E. of the old church, was built probably early in the 18th century. Inside the building is a re-used early 16th-century moulded beam. The early 18th-century staircase has a balustrade of turned balusters on the landing and there are some panelled doors of the same or rather earlier date.
b(3). High Leys, house, nearly ½ m. S.S.E. of the old church, contains a small cupboard with the initials and date R.T.M. 1705. There are also some muntin and plank partitions of the local type and the staircase has an original moulded grip-handrail.
b(4). Cock Hag, house, 500 yards W.S.W. of (3).
b(5). High House, nearly ¾ m. S.W. of the old church.
b(6). Sanderhill, cottage, 770 yards W. of (5), was built probably early in the 18th century.
a(7). House, on the S. side of the road ¾ m. W. of the new church, contains some 18th-century panelling and doors.
a(8). Sunnybrow, house, 600 yards N.E. of (7), was built probably early in the 18th century.
a(9). Field Tenement, house, 620 yards N.N.W. of the new church, has an added N. wing. Inside the building is a two-stage cupboard with carved upper panels, pendants and cornice with the initials and date G.T. 1669. There are also some 18th-century doors, panelling and staircase.
a(10). Yewtree, house, 300 yards E.N.E. of (9).
a(11). Crook End, house, about ½ m. N.N.E. of the new church, contains a two-stage cupboard with carved upper panels and projecting top with the initials and date H. and E.B. 1683. Another cupboard is dated 1733 and there is other work of this date.