Survey of London: Volume 16, St Martin-in-The-Fields I: Charing Cross. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
- CHAPTER 36: XVIII—NOS. 8 AND 9, CRAIG'S COURT (DEMOLISHED)
CHAPTER 36: XVIII—NOS. 8 AND 9, CRAIG'S COURT (DEMOLISHED)
Date and Description of Structure.
The earliest date at which Nos. 8 and 9, Craig's Court, can be identified in the ratebooks is 1708, but it is probable that they were in existence a few years earlier, though owing to the circumstances explained on p. 232, it is not possible to trace the history of individual houses in the court in the earliest years. There is no evidence that the houses were ever rebuilt.
They had a plain brick exterior and comprised three storeys and an attic with a tiled roof. The front was relieved by plain bands at the levels of the first and second floors, and also by the window frames being slightly recessed, with the sashes divided into small squares. The entrance doorway to No. 9 had a flat projecting hood (Plate 109) supported on carved wood brackets resting on panelled pilasters to the jambs. This decorative feature appeared to date from the early part of the eighteenth century, and was contemporary with the erection of the buildings.
The doorway to No. 8 had columns with foliated caps, which were probably introduced when the coat of cement rendering was applied to the ground-floor storey.
The interiors contained no features of interest.
The names of the occupants of Nos. 8 and 9, Craig's Court, taken from the ratebooks from 1708 to 1836, are as follows:
|1710–19||Samuel (Captain) Bourne (fn. n1)|
|1730–31||Dr John Wigan|
|1735–39||Lord or Lady Clinkarty|
|1743–45||— Newman (Newnham)|
|1765–72||Elizabeth Cragg (fn. n2)|
|1785||Rev. Mr Lettice|
|1711–17||Wm Sloper (fn. n3)|
|1726–59||Sun Fire Office|
|1778||Henry Fosset (fn. n4)|
|1792–3||Wm Thos Martyn|
|1805–06||H. W. Byfield and Son|
|1807–08||H. W. and Geo. Byfield|
|1819–28||G. P. Laplume|
|1830–||Rob. & Chas. Byfield|
John Wigan, physician and author, born in 1696, was the son of the Rev. William Wigan, vicar of St. Mary Abbotts, Kensington. He was educated at Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford. In 1726 he was admitted principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford, and about the same time was appointed secretary to the Earl of Arran, chancellor of the university. In 1727 he obtained the degree of M.D., and in 1730 was in practice at No. 8, Craig's Court. In 1731 he was admitted a candidate at the College of Physicians and Fellow in 1732. At about this time he moved to No. 5 in the court, at which house the ratebooks for 1732–6 show him residing. He died in 1739 in Jamaica, whither he had gone in the previous year as physician and secretary to his friend, Edward Trelawny. His writings were numerous, one of the most important being his edition of Aretaeus.
"Lord Clinkarty," who is shown at No. 8 from 1735 to 1739, was Robert MacCarthy, elder son of the 4th Earl of Clancarty, who was attainted and whose vast fortune was forfeited for his adherence to James II. At the time of the earl's death in 1734 Robert was an officer in the British navy. In 1735 he returned to England to attempt the recovery of the confiscated estates, but although he had certainly had no part in his father's treason he failed, owing to the weight of influence against him. He nevertheless remained in the navy until 1741. Soon after he retired to France and devoted himself to the Stuart cause. He died in 1769. "Lady Clinkarty," whose name alternates with that of her husband in the ratebooks (owing no doubt to his absences on service) was daughter of Mr. Pleyer, of Gosport.
For the occupation of No. 9 by the Sun Fire Office, see p. 236.
In the Council's Collection are:
(fn. n4) General exterior (photograph).
(fn. n4) General ground-floor plan (measured drawing).